power folding mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pat_bfd4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hey so i just got a 2019 ram 1500 big horn (5th gen). so with the power folding mirrors, is the only way to fold them with the button? i know some other vehicles with them, if you walk away they fold in amd vise versa when you approach. or if you start/turn off the truck does it have a way of doing it on its own or is it hitting the button every time?

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey so i just got a 2019 ram 1500 big horn (5th gen). so with the power folding mirrors, is the only way to fold them with the button? i know some other vehicles with them, if you walk away they fold in amd vise versa when you approach. or if you start/turn off the truck does it have a way of doing it on its own or is it hitting the button every time?

I think it's just with the button. Probably a good thing if you live in NY, my power fold mirrors on my 13 would freeze up around 20 degrees or so, so most of winter I wouldn't use that function.

OP
OP
Pat_bfd4

Pat_bfd4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it's just with the button. Probably a good thing if you live in NY, my power fold mirrors on my 13 would freeze up around 20 degrees or so, so most of winter I wouldn't use that function.
haha thats true thought i would get lucky. i kept doing it and was thinking there must be a feature or switch i have to turn on.. oh well

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
haha thats true thought i would get lucky. i kept doing it and was thinking there must be a feature or switch i have to turn on.. oh well

Either way, congrats on your new truck!

Mckisback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would be nice if dodge wrote a small code to give us an option on/off for when placed inpark the mirrors fold in., huh

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It might be a programmable option in the EVIC menu ?

splat10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yup, just got my new limited. Came from a chevy LTZ where it was programable to fold them on lock. They didn't unfold on unlock but this feature seems to be common sense. I love this truck but there are simple little things that GM does that make the experience a little better, such as the google interface on VR button (hold 2 seconds) on bluetooth nout just AA, folding mirrors, and choosing the audio program and selection over bluetooth (browsing phone). These are simple programming issues that if they were properly benchmarking competition would be included

Jus Cruisin

Gearhead
Reaction score
Metro Detroit area after 28 years in Florida
Ram Year
2019 Limited 4X4
Engine
E-torque hemi
yup, just got my new limited. Came from a chevy LTZ where it was programable to fold them on lock. They didn't unfold on unlock but this feature seems to be common sense. I love this truck but there are simple little things that GM does that make the experience a little better, such as the google interface on VR button (hold 2 seconds) on bluetooth nout just AA, folding mirrors, and choosing the audio program and selection over bluetooth (browsing phone). These are simple programming issues that if they were properly benchmarking competition would be included

I'm certain this folding mirror after the truck was locked was looked into and brought up in the 100's of focus groups they have/had and they found out the vast majority could give a hoot about the mirrors folding after you lock the truck.

zendesigner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Limited
Engine
5.7l hemi
Well I'm in Europe and all Audi, BMW and mercedes have that standard. SO as our parking places are also not that big i would love to have it automatically as well.
A button that i forget just makes my wife say. don't forget to close your mirror
s ;-)

Mckisback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would make sense to have mirrors fold in, once doors are locked. Common sense...

Mckisback

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, they have the auto parking brake function...so all RAM has to do is add it into there options to fold mirrors in during motor off.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It would make sense to have mirrors fold in, once doors are locked. Common sense...

Doesn't make sense to people in cold area's. Things freeze pretty easy for about 5-6 months out of the year up here, I could never use my power fold function under 20 degrees or so and if they tried folding automatically each time I think it would cause problems. One time I folded my mirrors in overnight and came out the next morning and they were jammed shut, never made that mistake again.

Noticing more cars coming with backup cams that are hidden until you put the vehicle in reverse, and then the backup cam will appear from somewhere. Can't imagine that's going to hold up to well once things get cold, and all these people won't have the use of backup cams on their nice cars when its cold out.

Edit: As mentioned earlier the solution is just giving people the option to turn the feature on or off, make everyone happy.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 New Model
Engine
Hemi
I'm certain this folding mirror after the truck was locked was looked into and brought up in the 100's of focus groups they have/had and they found out the vast majority could give a hoot about the mirrors folding after you lock the truck.
If they only asked people who have power mirros it will be close to 100%.

This is top of my list of what I HATE about my truck. Under powered ac is a close second.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

It would make sense to have it as a user option, but stupid to have it just do it every single time. There are about 0.001% of the times I shut off my truck where it would make sense to fold the mirrors in. In fact, just about the only time I have a need to fold my mirrors in is when I go through the auto carwash.

I bet most people could not care less, and the few that do can press the button. It's not like you have to get out and manually fold in each side, like you had to in the "old" days...

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque

All easy things I was able to overlook when I compared Ram to GM. The only thing I would have gained was a cooler tailgate with the GMC. Outside of that, and fold on lock mirrors, I would have been getting less room, less horsepower, less torque, less gas mileage, and less other features I personally prefer. My brother-in-law has a loaded out 2019 LTZ High Country and the Ram Limited has a lot more features.

LSU04_08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
It would make sense to have it as a user option, but stupid to have it just do it every single time. There are about 0.001% of the times I shut off my truck where it would make sense to fold the mirrors in. In fact, just about the only time I have a need to fold my mirrors in is when I go through the auto carwash.

I bet most people could not care less, and the few that do can press the button. It's not like you have to get out and manually fold in each side, like you had to in the "old" days...

This. I've used my power folding mirrors religiously since 2016 and it's a habit when I turn my truck off, to hit the button and hit it again when I start my truck. I've never once considered it an inconvenience.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the same year/model and yes, they're just button-operated. I fold them in about half of the time (parallel parking, in my driveway so my wife doesn't get clipped by them, etc). Being in a cold-weather climate, I also would not want them to automatically fold, but having the option for others is always a good idea....