Programmer and factory warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjscharlotte

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi V8
Hey guys,

I've got 61k miles on my truck now and am looking at getting a programmer/PCU and custom tune. I just talked to a local company that sells Pedal Commanders, programmers etc..and they mentioned that they wouldn't do anything until my warranty had expired. Have any of you had issues with the dealership not covering a repair because of a programmer? I know i'm out of factory bumper to bumper warranty but I still have the engine/powertrain til' 100k miles. I also have the MOPAR Maximum care up to 125k miles. I don't want to spend a $1k and then find out a year from now I need warranty work and the dealership won't cover it because of a programmer. I thought that if I had one and took it out before I went to the dealership - they wouldn't know I had one. Apparently, that isn't the case. As soon as the programmer is installed - the trucks computer saves that information and when the dealer hooks it up to their computer they will know a programmer had been used.

cgrugger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From my understanding, our newer trucks have to have the PCM reprogrammed to allow a programmer to work. If you just out a programmer to your pcm as it sits now, it wouldn't be able to access the files it needs. So I am guessing what your shop was telling you was that the dealership would see that the PCM had been "cracked".

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
If you're worried about warranty, then wait. Or get to best friend status with your dealer. There are ways to detect a tune or previous presence of one just by looking at data. Chrysler recently put out a bulletin on red flags to look for when something is suspected. One of those is how to easily check for a pcm swap.

Not trying to scare you away, just putting it out there of the possibility. But there's also the chance that no one would notice or care to look deeper.

Cwils80

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't switch it if you have a warranty. I just flat out wouldn't do it. Just like you said. If you need warranty work done it would be better to know for a fact they will fix it vs nervously waiting for a call saying hey we found your pcm has been swapped.

Just my opinion though. Better safe than sorry. Unless you have the room to be sorry lol

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the lifetime warranty on my 16 and wouldn't use a tune and expect my warranty to cover engine and transmission repairs.