Programming a new key fob help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toddbigboytruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does any one know how I can Program a key, my wife lost the key to my truck only a month after I got the truck I can get a key on amazon for 50$ I have a 18 Laramie with keyless entire and all that stuff. But when I get the new key how can I program the it to my truck and can I do it myself or do I need to go to a dealer

Thank you

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
There was a similar thread I think in this forum... you have to...

1. get the dealership to do it for you (for $$$$$$$! - or, well, around $300 or so), or
  2. buy a blank fob off of Amazon or eBay from a reputable seller, and have a locksmith program it for you (for only $$, or maybe $90-200 or so?), or
  3. or Ace Hardware will whip one up for you if you buy one of their fobs (no idea what they charge, they allegedly work just fine, but their particular fob won't say "Ram" on the back.)

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I read that one and so many comment but no one rear talks about programming the key my you self.
The only known economical way you can program it yourself is if you get the AlfaOBD software, Bluetooth interface, and the PIN for your truck from the parts department at your dealer (or there’s an app that will pull your PIN). Everything you need to know is in the first post- https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alfaobd.123982/

waynehurley5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just had ace hardware make one for me 2500 outdoorsman 2015 they charged me 199.00

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
bought an actual Ram Key fob for less than $50, and used AlphaOBD to program it. That app, along with the bluetooth unit have been well worth the money.

festivus15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i bought a set from amazon and then took them to the local Batteries+ shop. forget the price exactly, but much less than the dealer. if i'd known about it, though, i'd have done the alphaOBD route.

ROADPOP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My dealer in Florida only charges 39.95 to reprogram a new fob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
I bought a fob off eBay and programmed it with Alfa OBD. The cost of the OBD reader, the fob and the Alfa program was less than any dealer or locksmith wanted for the job. I can also make other changes going forward. It is a great program, especially for the EcoDiesel owners.
RichH

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I bought a fob off eBay and programmed it with Alfa OBD. The cost of the OBD reader, the fob and the Alfa program was less than any dealer or locksmith wanted for the job. I can also make other changes going forward. It is a great program, especially for the EcoDiesel owners.
RichH
I wonder if that is possible with the 2010? I bought AlphaOBD but unfortunately it is very limited for the '09-'12.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I don't see anything in there that pertains to the remote programming...
On the main screen, choose your truck and body style. Then select radio frequency hub. For control unit select 2010 wireless ignition (something along those lines). After connecting, click on the car with hood open at bottom right. Under select procedure to start, scroll down and find program ignition fob key (or similar).

waynestractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On the main screen, choose your truck and body style. Then select radio frequency hub. For control unit select 2010 wireless ignition (something along those lines). After connecting, click on the car with hood open at bottom right. Under select procedure to start, scroll down and find program ignition fob key (or similar).
Awesome, thanks! Now I just have to get the pin# from the dealer if it's not on the truck documentation somewhere. Cheers