PSA...Use Some Lube! King 2.5 Preload Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just thought I would post this friendly reminder. I was having an absolute horrible time adjusting the preload on my kings. Truck was on jack stands, so coilovers were not loaded. I couldn't get the preload clamps to budge after a couple turns. Added a small amount of WD-40 to the top and bottom of the threads and let it soak. Worked like butter.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe that's the wrong word, but I keep reading them being called that. The height adjustment rings that you rotate around the threaded shock body. The "Preload Nut" in diagram below:

adjusting-preload-lift-height.jpg
Ah yeah. I spray a bit of wd-40 above the preload adjusters a few min before rotating them. .makes everything a breeze :)

OP
OP
RVA Ram

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm embarrassed to admit, but I actually broke the T-Handle tool, lol. I had to order another one, but they are worth the cost. Much better than the straight tool that comes with the coilovers. I damaged the preload adjuster a bit (bent the lip of the hole) before I gave up and finally read about the wd-40.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bent the tip on the straight one myself first time i used it :) i still have it but i use the T handle one more often. With the oil in the treads they turn like butter as you've have found out. i've never had any more issues with that. Also the holes in my adjusters are not ****** anymore. lol. i use a hammer and a punch or file, along with the tip of another punch to move the adjusters past the reservoir /shock tower as needed when i'm turning the collars so sometimes i'll miss.
This was the first time i adjusted them. It only hurts the first time haha. I don't look at them much anymore and i keep using the hammer, punch/file and puch tip to do the job.

47520763752_5ab4f686d1_k.jpgIMG_2987 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

31727060457_0627eb2164_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

VelocityC6Z

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bent the tip on the straight one myself first time i used it :) i still have it but i use the T handle one more often. With the oil in the treads they turn like butter as you've have found out. i've never had any more issues with that. Also the holes in my adjusters are not ****** anymore. lol. i use a hammer and a punch or file, along with the tip of another punch to move the adjusters past the reservoir /shock tower as needed when i'm turning the collars so sometimes i'll miss.
This was the first time i adjusted them. It only hurts the first time haha. I don't look at them much anymore and i keep using the hammer, punch/file and puch tip to do the job.

47520763752_5ab4f686d1_k.jpgIMG_2987 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

31727060457_0627eb2164_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

The holes on mine are not ****** holes either, clearly beat up...

WD-40 became a great friend of mine as well, after the second or third time when I discovered how well that worked, I stopped bending the tips off those straight adjuster that king sends with the coil overs

OP
OP
RVA Ram

RVA Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This makes me feel way better, haha. Nothing like dinging up your brand new set of $1600 coilovers.