put injector cleaner in DEF tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geodoctor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Fairly new to the diesel truck world with a 2018 2500. I accidently poured 5 oz of "Lucas upper cylinder cleaner and injector cleaner" in the DEF tank (the correct amount for 30 gal diesel tank) Im so used to using the DEF port for "fluid that's not diesel". I just topped off the DEF tank 2 days ago till it was almost coming out the port so it is very full. It definitely holds more than 2.5 gal because i know there is more than that in it. I have not driven it but i will need to soon. I have 2.5 gal jug of DEF and 2 fresh gallons of distilled water on hand. i have no other vehicle to go buy anything else/no wife or kids or relatives nearby. Please help!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
sorry to have to tell you this

IF anything was put into the DEF Tank beside DEF

That tank needs to be DRAINED, do not start it, do not let anyone else start it.
The plumbing goes from the DEF tank to the Exhaust pipe,
( it does not go anywhere except to the exhaust )

I have not looked under my eco-diesel, so i don't know if there is a drain plug or if there is a way to drop the tank easily.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Disconnect the fitting at the bottom of the tank and drain it. Then flush with distilled water. Do Not run the truck

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
It definitely holds more than 2.5 gal because i know there is more than that in it.
The DEF tank in the Cummins trucks is a little bigger than 5 gallons.
As others have mentioned, drain and clean tank.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Ram said to use deionized water?

Is distilled water the same as deionized water?

Distilled water has been boiled to create purified water free of contaminants and impurities like chlorine and dissolved solids. Deionized (DI) water, like distilled water, is also very pure. Where they differ is that deionized water is water that has had all the dissolved mineral particles removed from it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ram said to use deionized water?

Is distilled water the same as deionized water?

Distilled water has been boiled to create purified water free of contaminants and impurities like chlorine and dissolved solids. Deionized (DI) water, like distilled water, is also very pure. Where they differ is that deionized water is water that has had all the dissolved mineral particles removed from it.

Would it be suitable to use reverse osmosis water instead of deionized? It might be easier/cheaper to obtain. Our local Walmart sells an 18-litre (4.76 US gal) jug of RO water for $3.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just buy Distilled Water

Walmart​

Great Value Distilled Water, 1 Gallon $1.28​

You will not be running it through DEF Injector
so it will not hurt anything

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Disconnect the fitting at the bottom of the tank and drain it. Then flush with distilled water. Do Not run the truck
^ Like said above. Don't knit pick over water purification processes. Distilled water has been an industry use standard in everything from coolants to batteries. You're draining, flushing, and refilling with NEW DEF. A few drops mixing in will go undetectable and no effects.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
do you toss in some to extend the DEF and no problems. a newbie asking

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
do you toss in some to extend the DEF and no problems. a newbie asking
To extend and on a theory that diluted DEF burns cleaner and has less tendency to build up on the injector. We used to be able to run 100% distilled water when tuned. That's when I started and just continued out of habit. Anymore I only dilute DEF if I'm going to make a trip knowing there will be a lot of passive regenerations.

It is only a problem if you over-dilute the DEF from its 32.5-33% urea. Your truck will alert when the DEF condition gets to 22%.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357