Def in Fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zola

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings
Stupid me put 1 gallon of Def in fuel tank yesterday afternoon. Had 29 gallons diesel in the tank. Turned around truck in driveway. Engine only
Less than a minute before “water in fuel “ alert came on and I shut off engine. I know now not to turn on engine and have it towed only to a mechanic but It’s Sunday and all mechanics Are closed until Monday morning. Is there anything I can do
With additives while it sits in the driveway???

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Water is heavier than fuel...could he siphon it out?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
As mentioned above, hope it didn't get past both fuel filters. You want to drop the tank along with the fuel line cleaned out and flushed thoroughly. Considering replacing the lift pump assembly while the tank is out, DEF is corrosive to metals and it's possiblity going to fail. This might sound excessive but the CP4 HPFP and injectors cost a whole lot more if they're damaged by the DEF.
You might want to consider putting a cap on the fuel filler opening, being their usually green it's a good reminder that fuel goes in there.

leeroy300

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie Sport
Engine
6.7 l
anyone make a green cap that fits our new fill spouts with the ribs?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
anyone make a green cap that fits our new fill spouts with the ribs?
Geno's Garage offers locking caps for the DEF along with the new style fuel fill necks:
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/ram-cummins-locking-fuel-cap-gg-ez45glc/fuel-caps
Looks like Mopar offers a dust cover also:
https://www.genosgarage.com/product...fuel-filler-dust-cap-green-82215782/fuel-caps
Nice part about locking caps is it keeps any mischievous people from adding any unwanted additives to either tank.