PW Rattle in Econo mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockyTad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have a 2020 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. It sounds like a rattle or ticking when lightly accelerating. It is worse in eco mode. It’s the reason I joined this forum to see if others had it and if it’s normal.

Fatbob Frank

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Mine doesn't go into eco when I'm accelerating so I couldn't tell you.
The only time I notice it in my PW is when Eco comes on right about the point where it wants to shift from 7th into 8th.
Once it shifts it's pretty unnoticeable even with my loud exhaust.
I believe the single exhaust mitigates the odd sound of the MDS better than the dual exits of my 1500 Laramie.

OP
OP
JRRHD

JRRHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the replies. I have tried different octane fuel, and the only thing I notice is the gas mileage gets worse. I would like to think that the engineers and RAM have tested this enough that it is not a problem. However given some of the things I read about the oil change indicator, it makes me wonder.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the replies. I have tried different octane fuel, and the only thing I notice is the gas mileage gets worse. I would like to think that the engineers and RAM have tested this enough that it is not a problem. However given some of the things I read about the oil change indicator, it makes me wonder.
I have run 87,89 and 91 on the same routes under the same conditions (I travel back and forth between Missoula MT and Bozeman MT and Missoula and Boise and have down multiple round trip comparisons on each grade) and never have gotten any difference in mpg between the grades. Only thing that I have found that effects mpg is speed.

snagster123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
me neither. eco is bad. They do kind of have a shutter under really low rpms when it swaps over though. that's when I hit the minus button.
I am having this problem.. any fix for it?

Irishthreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
MDS in my 2500 Hemi is noticeable but I’ve gotten used to it. It kind of reminds me of driving a manual when you’re right on the verge of needing a lower gear.
I almost always use it on the highway, seems to boost mpg by 1-2.

Chap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Powerwagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
Ive stated, I have a 2018 powerwagon, the motor knocks like hell on start up, dealer wont fix it under warranty unless I trade. ram dealers are ******* crooks.

thkbaron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In my experience they only fix stuff if it’s broken or it’s a cheap fix.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Ive stated, I have a 2018 powerwagon, the motor knocks like hell on start up, dealer wont fix it under warranty unless I trade. ram dealers are ******* crooks.

On start up the oil filter's anti-drain back valve may not have properly sealed after the engine was turned off letting the oil drain out of the filter. Try another brand of oil filter.

Thread 'Oil filter size and question for a 6.4 Hemi' https://www.ramforum.com/threads/oil-filter-size-and-question-for-a-6-4-hemi.165422/

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I have run 87,89 and 91 on the same routes under the same conditions (I travel back and forth between Missoula MT and Bozeman MT and Missoula and Boise and have down multiple round trip comparisons on each grade) and never have gotten any difference in mpg between the grades. Only thing that I have found that effects mpg is speed.

I run 85 octane gasoline with no difference in my Power Wagon 6.4L between it and 87. Just filled up this morning in Moab, UT at City Market (Kroger) elevation of 4K feet while towing. That's as low of an elevation as we can go anywhere around here with 85 octane. It was 11 degrees Fahrenheit in Moab which is negatively impacting both my mpg and enjoyment of boondocking out in the Colorado Plateau.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run 85 octane gasoline with no difference in my Power Wagon 6.4L between it and 87. Just filled up this morning in Moab, UT at City Market (Kroger) elevation of 4K feet while towing. That's as low of an elevation as we can go anywhere around here with 85 octane. It was 11 degrees Fahrenheit in Moab which is negatively impacting both my mpg and enjoyment of boondocking out in the Colorado Plateau.
yes that is chilly to be boondocking but I bet some crystal clear nights. I have been to Moab this time of year often and nothing like it. yes cold does impact mpg but pretty sure that would be whether (almost said weather) you used 85, 87 or 91. I just did a round trip road trip and it was 10F or so for most of it. nice thing is no bugs when that cold :). you are making get the itch to head to Moab..

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
yes that is chilly to be boondocking but I bet some crystal clear nights. I have been to Moab this time of year often and nothing like it. yes cold does impact mpg but pretty sure that would be whether (almost said weather) you used 85, 87 or 91. I just did a round trip road trip and it was 10F or so for most of it. nice thing is no bugs when that cold :). you are making get the itch to head to Moab..

Our large dogs are the main issue in the cold. Have to keep the rear bunk tent area on our Starcraft 15RB AR-1 Extreme down for their sleeping area which means the furnace runs the majority of the night on 158 Amp hours of AGM batteries.

Currently get around 8 MPG towing in tow mode in cold temperatures and its more than twice as light as the Black Series HQ21 that we really need.

Photo shown below is from Black Series HQ21 dealership...

017.jpg

Need the winter package on it, but it's still too cold for winter water usage. My bet is that at 7,480 pounds dry weight my gas mileage will suffer with the Black Series. So no ECO mode. Long stretches of no gas between our home and the Moab region via Gateway with 10% grades. Had to go out of the way to fill up in Naturita, Colorado after Moab today due to we visited the Anticline Overlook. Approximately 70% of the few gas pumps working at the 2 stations in Naturita, the rest are in quite poor shape with all of the credit card readers entirely beaten, destroyed, and taped over.

Last edited:

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Our large dogs are the main issue in the cold. Have to keep the rear bunk tent area on our Starcraft 15RB AR-1 Extreme down for their sleeping area which means the furnace runs the majority of the night on 158 Amp hours of AGM batteries.

Currently get around 8 MPG towing in tow mode in cold temperatures and its more than twice as light as the Black Series HQ21 that we really need.

Photo shown below is from Black Series HQ21 dealership...

View attachment 484801

Need the winter package on it, but it's still too cold for winter water usage. My bet is that at 7,480 pounds dry weight my gas mileage will suffer with the Black Series. So no ECO mode. Long stretches of no gas between our home and the Moab region via Gateway with 10% grades. Had to go out of the way to fill up in Naturita, Colorado after Moab today due to we visited the Anticline Overlook. Approximately 70% of the few gas pumps working at the 2 stations in Naturita, the rest are in quite poor shape with all of the credit card readers entirely beaten, destroyed, and taped over.

Nice setup!

I have towed an 8000 pound travel trailer around with my power wagon for 5 summers…never seen more than 9 mpg…usually a little less.

Chap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Powerwagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
I actually called Ram Cares this afternoon, told them the deal with my motor knocking like hell on start up, been going on for almost 2 years. 24k miles. Told them it's been brought in to dealership twice, dealer said normal for those 2018 6.4 motors. They gave me a case # and said they would work on taking care of the problem. Have to bring it to the dealership again, give them my case #, have it diagnosed. They said if there is a major problem, my dealer won't fix it, find a dealer that will. I'm very skeptical about whats going o happen, but hopefully it gets fixed finally. New engine, rebuild, whatever. At least gives me some kinda hope to get it fixed.

Chap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Powerwagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
My Powertrain warranty is still good for a year and a half, 5 year wise, and im no where near the 60k milage on the powertrain, so hoping they finally do something about it.

Chap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Powerwagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
I'm guessing a new 6.4 Hemi costs like 14 or 15k? To replace.

Chap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Powerwagon
Engine
hemi 6.4
Funny thing is, I bought my truck at a used truck place, 6k miles on it. Didn't make that noise at all. So I drove it like 1000 miles, engine light came on. Brought it to my local dealership, changed the oil. Week later, knocking ever since on start up. Wonder if the place I bought my truck dumped thick ass oil in it to sell it? So it wouldn't knock. Idk. Idk anything about mechanic stuff. It stops after a minute, 2 or 3 minutes when it's really cold outside. It always stops ticking and rattling after a few minutes. But there is no way that's normal. if it made the noise it does now, I sure as hell wouldn't have dropped 46k on my truck, when I bought it.