Question about adding front camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my plan for adding a front camera was to enable the cargo cam using alpha, but when I did that it took away my reverse camera and then I could only view the reverse cam from the cargo cam button. Is this due to my 2013 bcm? I understand this is like a 2016 mod that I’m trying to do.

additional info I have the 8.4 radio, planning to pin in the camera output based on wiring diagrams if i can get the software side to work

I really wanted to avoid a tazor or any extra modification and keep simple if it’s possible but maybe it is not

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So my plan for adding a front camera was to enable the cargo cam using alpha, but when I did that it took away my reverse camera and then I could only view the reverse cam from the cargo cam button. Is this due to my 2013 bcm? I understand this is like a 2016 mod that I’m trying to do.

additional info I have the 8.4 radio, planning to pin in the camera output based on wiring diagrams if i can get the software side to work

I really wanted to avoid a tazor or any extra modification and keep simple if it’s possible but maybe it is not
It's a radio issue not BCM. The radio must be 2016 or newer.

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's a radio issue not BCM. The radio must be 2016 or newer.
Yes you can, but the issue he describes is solved by a 2016+ radio. The newer radio will let both cameras/buttons coexist.

i was afraid of something like that, I was hoping updating to the latest software version would make it work. Hmmm I’ll have to reconsider my options now, unless you have a recommendation. There’s tazer, customtronix, and maybe grom audio oh which I know of currently for options to keep the oem radio in play. Updating to a new radio is too expensive for my tastes.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You could probably come out pretty even if you are just wanting to get a 2016 or 2017 RA3/RA4. You could turn around and sell your older one. It's useful to have that cargo cam input. I put mine on a switch and I'm currently keeping my 3 year old entertained with over the air DTV...

Attachments

• 20230822_090009.jpg
    20230822_090009.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 12