Ram 1500 Integrated Aux Switches

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alright, so I’ve finally got my auxiliary switch panel into my truck and lighting up my new light bar I just installed.

I’ve decided to share my process with you guys for anyone interested.

1. Bought a used auxiliary switch panel from a ram 2500 on eBay.
519d6422d2cca4256dcb248a34513152.jpg

Now from what I’ve read on the internet, people have been saying to make sure the panel you buy matches the one that was in your truck exactly, or it won’t work. So if the only buttons you have is tow/haul & traction control, then that’s all that should be on the auxiliary panel.

Now being as stubborn as I am, I didn’t listen and bought a panel with 2 park assist buttons, which my truck doesn’t have, and I had no issues with it. My traction control & tow/haul still work the way they should. That being said, I can not confirm nor guarantee everyone else the same result.

Another thing I read was that the truck would need to be flashed, again, I didn’t have my truck flashed and everything works.

Onwards....

2. Now I had to take the dash off and swap the panels out.
9db80b235a196594a4b731417904efa3.jpg

There’s a little rubber mat up there that will just pop out and there are 2 Torx screws underneath it, take them out then carefully pop the dash out. Once out there are 4 screws holding the panel in, simply take them out and put the new panel in place.

3. Now I had to wire it in. With the OEM option in the 2500’s the panel runs to a module which then runs to 2 plugs under the hood to pin your accessory’s in to, but instead of buying the expensive module I decided I was going to make my own bank of relays & fuses.

First thing I had to do was find terminals to add to my OEM plug as there were no wires in place where the pins for the auxiliary buttons on the panel are. I didn’t have a lot of luck online and I found some from a chev at work that I just slightly modified to make work, so I don’t have a good answer for anyone as to where you can get the proper terminals, but I would still like to know myself.
bfe83df70fe3b0905eb2b2825e81293f.jpg8bdb72ec8a10fba4b120a269d4dfed0f.jpg

4. Next I had to make a fuse/relay box.
f1f77ec07ab7d292d6f7b7896983fb89.jpg
4c9c9e8b0792bca8b86231396366da08.jpg

My box consists of 3 harnesses.

First harness is a 6 wire and consists of 5 power wires running from a stud on the fuse box to each of the 5 relays, and the sixth wire is split between all the signal sources on each relay (I did the split in the box).

Second harness is the ground inputs from the OEM switch panel in my truck. This one is a 5 wire harness which wires into the ground side of the signal on their respective relays, these will act as the switch for the relays.

Third harness is the output power for the accessory’s. This is another 5 wire harness which is bundled together, but I’ve split them at the end into 5 different plugs for each accessory option. I used 2 wire plugs and bundled the grounds of each together and tied them into a grounding point on the chassis, so for every accessory I just run 2 wires right to the front for easy plug & play and switch-ability between switches in the truck. If I ever decided I wanted an accessory on a different number switch in the truck it would just be a matter of swapping which plug it is plugged into.

I’ll add some pictures of my mounting point once I get it mounted properly.

It was a pretty simple task to get an OEM switch panel in my 1500, anyone with heated seats or anything in that lower section is kind of out of luck I guess.

All in all, works great and I love the look!
c986e9d01bece37e79b66cb132afef2e.jpg
3c583531639e1a3f1ccc77a61ab5404e.jpge4b8acba83ecf78f28728ac4fdc080ef.jpgb4d285bb11756a376e7e77c80d688257.jpg42fe77e8217494dcb59fcf5ef62514b7.jpg

Just added bed lighting to my switches!
7e923e7776d04adb5c14dedafb23afef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ebland0724

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie Sport Crew 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the part number of the Aux Switch Panel... i have a 2014, 1500 would like to do the same.

OP
OP
matthewharrison
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im interested, how much of a pain was the relax box to do?

Honestly, it is a bit tedious if you want to keep the wiring half clean and organized.

I'm lucky enough to work at a fairly big construction company as a mechanic with lots of resources, so obtaining wire, connectors, plugs...etc. was easy for me as they are pretty good to let us dip into the resources a little bit for personal use. For example, those plugs I used are deutsch connectors and we use them pretty often on our highway trucks, excavators, dozers...etc. to fix/modify/add wiring components. We have 2 shops, one with mechanics and one with welders, so the company literally just builds their own trailers and all kinds of crazy stuff all the time, so we stock A LOT of good stuff.

Anyways...maybe a bit too much about work...but my point was if I didn't work where I did maybe it wouldn't have been AS clean of a job, but I did do a quick search on eBay/Amazon and the stuff I would have needed would have been fairly inexpensive.

If you have a good understanding of relays, circuits, and a little bit of patience it isn't too bad. I also enjoy wiring projects, so you may feel differently if you are one of them people that hate wiring. You may also find some prewired boxes somewhere too, which could make it a lot easier, I just took the cost efficient route.

OP
OP
matthewharrison
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the part number of the Aux Switch Panel... i have a 2014, 1500 would like to do the same.

This is the part number for the switch I ordered: 68241386AA

I found it as a "Used" item on eBay, so the price wasn't too bad.

Just remember that there are different configurations and part numbers depending on what buttons you will need, but like I said, mine only had tow/haul & traction control, my truck didn't have park assist even though the panel I bought did, still seemed to work without any trouble, those buttons were just dead basically.

OP
OP
matthewharrison
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sadly this truck was wrote off in an accident, but insurance covered it and we ended up upgrading to a sport.

Our sport has heated seats & steering wheel, so I can't use this method anymore, which kind of sucks after the work I put in to getting it set up.

New plan is to use the 3 HomeLink buttons as the switching sources for mods on this truck, found switches online that wirelessly connect to HomeLink which is cool, saves trying to wire from inside the cab out through the firewall. Hoping to setup a light bar again, already have factory bed lighting so will have to find other things to do to fill out the other 2 switches, lol.

Roman217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If I were you, I would still try the same method since the heated seats and heated wheel have redundant controls in UConnect. In fact, on my Jeep GC, the controls are only available on the UConnect screen.

Also, a bit of a self serving suggestion to try it because, if it works for you, I would most likely end up doing the same mod in my Laramie.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Sadly this truck was wrote off in an accident, but insurance covered it and we ended up upgrading to a sport.

Our sport has heated seats & steering wheel, so I can't use this method anymore, which kind of sucks after the work I put in to getting it set up.

New plan is to use the 3 HomeLink buttons as the switching sources for mods on this truck, found switches online that wirelessly connect to HomeLink which is cool, saves trying to wire from inside the cab out through the firewall. Hoping to setup a light bar again, already have factory bed lighting so will have to find other things to do to fill out the other 2 switches, lol.

now you got me thinking. I would like to put a front lightbar on. I guess I don't mind random switches, but I love the idea of using the homelink button for the on/off on the lightbar. Has anyone done this?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
matthewharrison
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
now you got me thinking. I would like to put a front lightbar on. I guess I don't mind random switches, but I love the idea of using the homelink button for the on/off on the lightbar. Has anyone done this?
It's relatively easy. Should just be a 4 wire programmable switch, 2 wires to power & ground and the other 2 go out to the accesory you're activating.

I found a bunch of the switches online and saved a couple links, think they're saved on my computer so can't post them right now.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Looks good OP!

I converted my garage door buttons into switches for my rigid led lights. No wiring inside the cab and simple wiring in the Engine bay and all done. Works great too.

OP
OP
matthewharrison
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good OP!

I converted my garage door buttons into switches for my rigid led lights. No wiring inside the cab and simple wiring in the Engine bay and all done. Works great too.
Yes, definitely a pretty slick method utilising the buttons I won't be using anyways.

Can't wait to get my supplies and try it out!

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Easy peasy....1 homelink for gate, 2nd for tow hook cover lights, 3rd for bed and toolbox lights. Used this 4 channel remote wireless and have room for two more light mods...lol

Screenshot_20180416-210928.png

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
I love that idea. My 2015 doesn't have the overhead console with the Homelink buttons. I wonder how easily I could add that.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, it comes with a remote sooo....?

OP
OP
matthewharrison
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You make a valid point. Guess that was a case of over complicating the issue, lol.
I'd personally go through the trouble of putting the overhead in, I'm all for OEM look, plus I'd probably end up losing the remotes somehow, lol. I think I'd also get annoyed with trying to grab the remotes and fiddle with them rather than just reach up and hit the button every time.

I'm lucky enough to have it so don't have to worry about that.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
You make a valid point. Guess that was a case of over complicating the issue, lol.

There are threads on adding the homelink overhead console.

bigred74

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 2017
Engine
5.9L Magnum and 5.7L hemi
Looking to do this same thing and connecting it to rough country's mlc-6 controller