Ram 1500 most dangerous!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
*shrug* never bought a vehicle because of it's 'safety'.

Likely never will

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think its BS. From the article:
Though Dodge has been offering the half-ton Ram 1500 since 1981, its safety track record has long been unimpressive. From 1998 through 2001, the truck received failing marks from IIHS in frontal offset tests, and was rated “poor” in protecting heads and left legs, as well as in restraining the crash test dummy. Though frontal offset ratings have since received “good” ratings from the IIHS, the vehicle’s side-impact and rollover ratings remain substandard. Curiously, it was the opposite in the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration tests. The agency found fault with the Ram’s performance on frontal impact tests but not with side impact tests. Despite safety concerns, the model has been selling well, and from 2007 to 2011 Dodge sold more than 100,000 trucks each year.

How can two different agencies contradict like that??

full article here:

The Most Dangerous Cars in America - 24/7 Wall St.

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Yeah that's pretty lame. Anyway, pretty much all new vehicles are held to a pretty high standard, so even being the 'worst' out there today is doing pretty well. I'm going to check with my IIHS buddy and get his take.

The publisher is either crying out for attention or paid off is my guess. Wall ST. 24/7 made this list? Who cares. I wouldn't put any more credibility into this if they said Ram was the safest.

OP
OP
M

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Both agencies gave poor to good results depending on type of crash. One may have stricter guidelines resulting in poorer ratings.

Still rather be in a ram 1500 than a smart car in any type of crash.....

Last edited:

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who the heck is "Wall ST 24/7"? I've never heard of them before this.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This article should be about the most dangerous drivers... Give me the safest car in America and I'll make it dangerous!

I feel very safe in my Ram and I think Ford paid for this article. F..k Wall Street! Lol!

Last edited:

evanblain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I rolled my old Dodge about 6 years ago and it flipped and rolled 5 times and I didn't even get a scratch so I feel pretty safe in mine anyway.

Sent from my ST27a using Tapatalk

Ram-Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did they actually crash test anything? Where are they getting their information? Information which weirdly contradicts the IIHS. I mean it's not like the IIHS tests EVERY car sold in the US to a certain and specific set of standards to provide an accurate comparison of safety....oh wait, that's exactly what they do! Who tested these trucks and got a different result?!

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
My buddy got in a accident in a 13 ram. Guy hit him dead on. Truck totalled, car destroyed. My buddy walked away with a broken arm. I wish I had pics. The ram was destroyed, looked like it got hit by a train. So I call bs!

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They list no stats to back up the article or any links.

All the past crash test data I have seen rates it not to far behind Ford and usually better or equal to GM

As far as other "cars", I have never seen one best a Ram in a crash.

aVOPPRO_700b_zpsb90db4b3.jpg

Looks like the Ram got the better of a Ford to me.

nitto

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge 2500
Engine
v10
I seen a crash test on a 2nd gen and it wasnt pretty but this is 2014. The safety standards are way higher no matter the vehicle, I feel safe in my dodge and dont give a **** what some wall street ass clowns say.

Remstutt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Uhh, so maybe I should trade for a Smart Car :joke:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They list no stats to back up the article or any links.

All the past crash test data I have seen rates it not to far behind Ford and usually better or equal to GM

As far as other "cars", I have never seen one best a Ram in a crash.

aVOPPRO_700b_zpsb90db4b3.jpg

Looks like the Ram got the better of a Ford to me.

Holy ****, that's terrible!

Hey! I wonder if that tonneau cover lying in the grass would fit my truck??!

craa349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Morw of wall street america trying to get us ram owners scared so we buy gas savers and not guzzlers.... well im not buying it i hut a light pole in a heavy snow (bad tires and no plow trucks) and i didnt get hurt. The 2006 ram held strong and the pole fell on the roof and still didnt get hurt.... im like everyone else on here ill take my chances unless im facing a train or semi im the biggest vs most cars so i say i win most of those battles just by size

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jagr200

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy hell that is a horrible accident above. I can say I'd rather be in the Ram just by looking at the pictures and I ALMOST bought a new Ford. Liked the look of the Ram exterior better but I like the Ford interior marginally better.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
This is the ratings on my 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Bighorn Quad Cab.

Crash Test Results

NHTSA Ratings
5 stars Passenger:
5 stars Driver:
Not Tested Side impact front:
Not Tested Side impact rear:
4 stars Rollover:

IIHS Ratings
Side impact test: GAMP Not Tested
Rear crash protection/head restraint: GAMP Not Tested

Wear your seat belt, don't drive drunk / buzzed, pay attention to the job of driving, and you are as safe as you can be. When it's your time to go, your gone.

RangerGress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0l turbo diesel
"Safety" is a lot more broad then the results of some specific tests. My DD is a late '80's BMW 5 series, less safe compare to modern cars by pretty much any measure. No air bags. ABS only showed up one year prior.

This evening I was bringing #2 son home from soccer practice. We were doing ~45mph on a 4 lane surface street. The POS in front of us, for no reason, comes to a complete stop.

Cars back then were lighter. The BMW weighs 3000lbs and is on big fat sticky Summer tires. The result is darn short stopping distances. I got the car stopped with 12" to spare. The guy in front of me will have to find someone else to buy him a new car and pay his bogus chiropractor bills.

"Safety" is more complicated then a couple crash tests. Some new European cars are doing poorly in frontal impact because the mfr's optimized them for offset impacts. It's not as simple as the magazines imply.