RAM Auto X-Mission selector does not always stay in park, Problem Fixed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fantomII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
I've received a recall notice for the column mounted gear shift selector that allows the vehicle to go out of park or fail to go into park. I have a 2014 RAM 3500 4X4 with the 6 speed X-mission and 6.7L diesel. I'd had this problem for some time and the dealer indicated that they did various adjustments but the problem kept coming back.
I think I found the problem which was the shift attachment at the transmission. The rubber type of material in the clevis that attaches the shift cable to the X-mission was very soft and I believe would fail to get the shifter into full park position. Many times I couldn't shut down the engine as the dash information says the vehicle was not in park, but the indication was that it was in fact in park.
Some investigation found that the arm on the X-mission lever that goes into the clevis that attaches to the shift cable was actually for a 2010 and earlier 2500 model. I could not get the later insert and had to get the whole shift cable assembly, but I'm too cheap to buy everything when there must be a place that sells just the insert. I did find an on line company that sells all types of the inserts for different kinds of cars with auto X-missions. I changed the insert and have not had a problem since then. I did buy a couple of extra inserts just to be on the safe side, but 4 months down the road and my problem has not come up again.

zeddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
how often did the issue occur prior to installing the new piece? and how long has been it been with the new part.

you should do step by step how to and a link to the part because from what youre saying, i wouldn't mind doing that to mine.

OP
OP
F

fantomII

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Turbo Diesel
Here is the web site for the transmission selector cable clevis bushing replacement. HOW LONG DID MY PROBLEM LAST - For almost 7 months after I started having my problem of not being able to shut off the engine I kept taking it back to the dealer and they kept saying they adjusted the system. The problem occurred regularly at least several times a week and I had to have the pickup towed twice. Note: I did find out from a tow truck driver that all I had to do to be able to drive the pickup when the system became locked up was to disconnect the clevis at the transmission, move the lever back and forth a couple of times and then hook it up again and it worked fine for awhile. That was just a bandage not a fix. The web site below shows the bushing needed and after I replaced the bushing in November 2017 I've not had the problem again.
https://www.bushingfix.com/ram-truck-shift-cable-bushing-kit/