Ram Ecodiesel vs. GMC/Chevy Duramax 3.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
I had decided on a 2020 Ram Ecodiesel 1500 Limited but the configuration I want (really want the large fuel tank) would require a 5-6 month order. As everyone knows there are very few trucks available due to shutdown. Since I did not find a truck to buy now I did a little reseearch comparing the GMC Denaliwith the Duramax.
I know there are a mostly Ram fanatics here but wondering how they compare. Reviews seem to give the edge to Ram for comfort and technology. Both are important to me.

I did find it interesting that the top of the similarly equiped trucks (top trim level with the better tech packages) has the Ram coming out at more than $10,000 more than the GMC. The Ram does have some things not offered by GM.

I have been a Toyota Truck owner for 25 years, so both Ram and GMC/Chevy are totally new to me.
I have been blessed with amazing reliability for 3 straight Toyota pickups (and I come to find my resale on my 2008 Tundra is about twice what I thought it would be)....still I WANT A DIESEL and Toyota justdid not offer me the comfort and tech I want in 2020.

And on the special order for RAM...that 5 months is only if they don't have to shut down again for the virus at the production plants.

Last edited:

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Well, that’s certainly going from the shallow end of the pool to the deep end with respect to reliability. Eco diesel is known to have issues. Chevy a clean sheet unknown.

I’d drive the Ford too and buy the one I liked the most. I have no brand prejudice and I buy whatever suits my wants / needs.

If I were a gambler I’d bet on F to have the best track record in recent years for dependability. The reality for me is I’d probably not keep any of the three long term. None of the light duty diesels are designed for the long haul like commercial trucks.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
2014-2018 ecodiesels are at random good or bad, you could end up with a great one or you could end up with a ****** one, and that can change depending on what you do to it if you don’t plan on staying stock. They redid the ecodiesel for 2020 so who knows how that will turn out. One would hope a lot better but that will be determined in time.

GM and Fords 3.0L diesels are new as well but part of me hopes and wishes that while it’s a new platform, the companies making them being duramax and power stroke, have their heads on right that it will still be rather reliable like their big brother engines. Hard to say though.

best advice is try them all out and go with whatever feels right for your budget

woofie2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 v6
RAM is best in class towing, and has 6 years more production history behind their diesel. (most of the bugs have been found) (why Cummins hasn't designed a 2.0L I4 or 3.0L I6 is only because of the VM Motri purchase)

GM/Chevy- best fuel economy, simpler straight 6 design (no balance shaft to fail)

Ford- "We have a diesel too"

All seem to get 25-30 MPG highway, designed for a daily driver and weekend toy hauler. From there it is what your budget can get, and which fits your style best.

I had decided on a 2020 Ram Ecodiesel 1500 Limited but the configuration I want (really want the large fuel tank) would require a 5-6 month order. As everyone knows there are very few trucks available due to shutdown. .
You could also buy one off the lot and perform a 39 gallon Titan fuel tank swap. see "TITAN 7031214 39 GALLON MID-SHIP REPLACEMENT FUEL TANK"

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
RAM is best in class towing, and has 6 years more production history behind their diesel. (most of the bugs have been found) (why Cummins hasn't designed a 2.0L I4 or 3.0L I6 is only because of the VM Motri purchase)

GM/Chevy- best fuel economy, simpler straight 6 design (no balance shaft to fail)

All seem to get 25-30 MPG highway, designed for a daily driver and weekend toy hauler. From there it is what your budget can get, and which fits your style best.

You could also buy one off the lot and perform a 39 gallon Titan fuel tank swap. see "TITAN 7031214 39 GALLON MID-SHIP REPLACEMENT FUEL TANK"
Thank you for tha tip

OP
OP
R

RAMVANMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Pentastar
Checked and the tank is not available for the shorter bed. Looking at the Limited Crew Cab with 5'7". I believe the factory tank is available for all sizes.

DarrenMeBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecodiesel
Buying Ram as family hauler.
The 6 Duramax 10spd best engine package but I hate GM interiors , uncomfortable seats, loud alarms no way to turn off. You can turn them off permanently in RAM, air suspension , ram boxes , adjustable pedals make it best family use pickup for me as 5'1 wife can use it. Also GM only 23 gal tank vs 33gal gives way more miles with RAM. ZF8 spd proven trans. I fell ike driving a MB S class in Ram. Iv'e had many GM and always great reliable trucks that drive nice. Seats and buzzers drove me nutz

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I shopped the GM twins and found RAM to be better in many ways. Namely the interior, transmission, axles and technology. The Gen 3 EcoDiesel is better than the Gen 2 and the 3.0 Duramax is a new design.

What pushed me toward RAM was what I stated above and the unlimited lifetime powertrain warranty.

GM could not / would not match the warranty.