Ram Express Steering Wheel Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisr5310

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Has anyone here upgraded the rubber steering wheel with cruise, gear selection and dash controls in a 4th gen 1500 Express to a leather wrapped steering wheel with all controls including audio and heat function? Also, the truck has the RA1 radio that will be upgraded too. The new steering wheel should be here in a couple of days. I know in order to use the heat function I obviously need the wheel and swap out the switch board below the radio, and probably the clock spring. I'm guessing the wire harness in the steering wheel needs to be changed too. Is there anything else needed to make this happen? When talking to the local dealer today they said since the Express did not have the optional heated steering wheel the main harness and fuse box also has to be changed. Does anyone have experience with this?

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
It's a very popular swap, and you'll find info for your truck in the 4th gen DIY section. Same with the radio swap. Moving to the 5" RA2 is simple, others are more involved.

The audio controls on the wheel just work, no additional steps needed. Getting the heated function working involves a new clockspring , heated seats, wiring, optionally some buttons. Lots of details on what you'll need in the DIY, and you can post there if you need help.

You may also want to look into a cluster swap.

zach471

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ETorque
Has anyone here upgraded the rubber steering wheel with cruise, gear selection and dash controls in a 4th gen 1500 Express to a leather wrapped steering wheel with all controls including audio and heat function? Also, the truck has the RA1 radio that will be upgraded too. The new steering wheel should be here in a couple of days. I know in order to use the heat function I obviously need the wheel and swap out the switch board below the radio, and probably the clock spring. I'm guessing the wire harness in the steering wheel needs to be changed too. Is there anything else needed to make this happen? When talking to the local dealer today they said since the Express did not have the optional heated steering wheel the main harness and fuse box also has to be changed. Does anyone have experience with this?
Do you have a MOPAR part number for that wheel? I've got a 2022 limited, and I hate the wood piece on the top, I'd like to change the rim out for full leather.

zach471

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ETorque
Following up on this request. Currently on hold with MOPAR about getting a new wheel in all leather. Curious if anyone has found anything.