Ram for dummies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yz9890

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a less than mechanically inclined owner of an '08 (3rd gen I learned here) Ram quad 1500 5.7l 4wd. I'm looking for suggestions for a powerful sounding exhaust and maybe a leveling kit. I like the looks of a single pipe exhaust and don't think I want to do anything with the stock catalytic converter. does that prevent me from improving the sound at all? do some options drone more than others? and does a leveling kit adversely affect my suspension or MPG or anything similar? also, are there real advantages to a cold air intake? are some better than others?

thanks for any info you may have.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
hey there, welcome to the forum. First off, here's a link to all the members' posts of videos and sound clips for the 3rd gen exhaust options:
http://www.ramforum.com/f50/ram_forum_exhaust_3rd_gen_clips_vids-12633/

I personally have a 4th gen and have the 18" magnaflow muffler on mine, and I love the sound. You can still make your truck sound a lot better/meaner without touching the stock catalytic converter. I would reccommend a 14" or 18" magnaflow. 14" is the loudest, 18" is slightly less noisy but trust me it sounds badass! :biggun:

fdnj48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome! I also recommend taking a look at the thread with the sound clips. It will help you out. I also have the Magnaflow muffler but the 14 inch version and I think it sounds awesome!! I've had it for about a week and it has gotten slightly louder with use. As far as a CAI it will definitely improve performance and help the truck breath better. I always do a CAI on my vehicles.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

josephw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
I have a 2nd Gen(94-01) with a 40-Series Flowmaster in place of the factory muffler and it has a deep growl to it, and I put it as close to the rear axle as I could to get the muffler out from under the cab and eliminate droning. I lOVE IT!

OP
OP
yz9890

yz9890

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
almost none of those videos work for me via tapatalk or safari so I'll have to check them out when I get back in town and can have a look with my PC. thanks for the info so far.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
almost none of those videos work for me via tapatalk or safari so I'll have to check them out when I get back in town and can have a look with my PC. thanks for the info so far.

Anytime! That's what the forum is great for. And yea if you want a loud system that minimizes the drone in the cab, do exactly what josephw said. The further back the muffler is, the less drone you'll have.

On my 18", the drone isn't bad at all. It's definitely alot more noticeable than the stock muffler but by no means annoying. My muffler is right next to my rear wheel, so it's pretty far back from the cab.

OP
OP
yz9890

yz9890

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
does a "pass through" muffler affect emissions? (Colorado emissions specifically). if I leave the catalytic converter alone I should be good right?

OP
OP
yz9890

yz9890

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well this sucks a little. no one in Colorado has an after market muffler?

42-4-225. Mufflers - prevention of noise.

Statute text
(1) Every motor vehicle subject to registration and operated on a highway shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no such muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cut-off, bypass, or similar device. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and such original muffler shall comply with all of the requirements of this section.

krakaman24

2018 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7L
does a "pass through" muffler affect emissions? (Colorado emissions specifically). if I leave the catalytic converter alone I should be good right?

I'm in Colorado. I have a Gibson aftermarket set up that I am pretty pleased with. An aftermarket muffler will not affect your emissions, as long as everything it installed correctly. The only reason you would fail is if something is not welded properly or tightened down all the way and there is a leak.

As far as noise.... technically speaking if an aftermarket muffler is louder than a set decibel amount you could get pulled over and get a ticket. The chances of that happening are pretty slim. Unless you are speeding around your neighborhood at 3am trying to listen to your exhaust. I've had aftermarket exhaust systems on every vehicle I have ever owned and never once been pulled over for my muffler being too loud. Even on my Harley's!

Hope this helps you out.

OP
OP
yz9890

yz9890

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in Colorado. I have a Gibson aftermarket set up that I am pretty pleased with. An aftermarket muffler will not affect your emissions, as long as everything it installed correctly. The only reason you would fail is if something is not welded properly or tightened down all the way and there is a leak.

As far as noise.... technically speaking if an aftermarket muffler is louder than a set decibel amount you could get pulled over and get a ticket. The chances of that happening are pretty slim. Unless you are speeding around your neighborhood at 3am trying to listen to your exhaust. I've had aftermarket exhaust systems on every vehicle I have ever owned and never once been pulled over for my muffler being too loud. Even on my Harley's!

Hope this helps you out.

sweet. thanks.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm a less than mechanically inclined owner of an '08 (3rd gen I learned here) Ram quad 1500 5.7l 4wd. I'm looking for suggestions for a powerful sounding exhaust and maybe a leveling kit. I like the looks of a single pipe exhaust and don't think I want to do anything with the stock catalytic converter. does that prevent me from improving the sound at all? do some options drone more than others? and does a leveling kit adversely affect my suspension or MPG or anything similar? also, are there real advantages to a cold air intake? are some better than others?

thanks for any info you may have.
If you are reluctant to mess with your exhaust, you will get some performance enhancement from a CAI--and a lot of noise under the hood which can augment the noise from your exhaust. I had a K&N on my 2003 that made it almost impossible to have a conversation in the cab under wide open throttle (WOT).
A muffler remains one of the quickest ways to add exhaust noise or change the tone of your exhaust note. In some cases folks have reported a little power gain--but I'm skeptical unless you are taliking about a full exhaust change where you reduce back pressure and improve exhaust gas flow.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How about an electric cutout? Then you can open it when you want loud and close it when you want a stock sound. I have been running them for years and while I have long tube headers now, when I first installed the cutout I had stock manifolds and it still sounded good.

OP
OP
yz9890

yz9890

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my local muffler shop (Louisville, KY) wants $300 to replace my stock muffler with an 18" Magnaflow without a tip. does that sound a little high?

darrenk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
also may want to look into replacing the Y pipe while youre looking at mufflers. the stock ones are quite restrictive