RAM grill lettering removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just looking for insight before I tackle this. About to change my current chrome RAM lettering on the grill for black. Has anyone does this without removing the entire grill? My thought process on this is to remove the shroud between the engine and grill and pull the letters off. (Not sure how those are mounted). Any advise would be great. TIA.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
May be look into vinyl overlays for the RAM lettering. I've used vinyl graphics before and never had an issue with peeling or deterioration of the vinyl.

I was looking into getting some white vinyl lettering to do the RAM on the front of mine.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure on the 5th gens, but the 4th gens are easy. Removed the air cover its just push pins. 4 bolts 10mm and its out. It should just be snapped in. I can have my grill and headlights out in about 5 minutes. I would suggest and overlay or just plasti dip them. Its super easy and as long as you get enough coats on it, its always removable.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
It's a bigger pain on the 5th gen trucks. I did this back in February on my 19 laramie.

You will need to pull the entire grill to remove the letters from the back. Screws and clips are holding the letter assy in place.

Definitely look for youtube videos on the removal.

If you have factory fender flares, you should plan on removing those to get at the one bolt between the fender and lower piece below the headlight 7mm or 8mm socket eureka well for popping the clips lose from the back .... No one mentioned it in their videos that I saw and I had no plans on breaking anything to get it apart.

Grill removal overall video:
------ my extra videos ----

Grill/Fender Pt1:
Grill/Fender Pt2:
Grill/Fender Pt3:

M² Mods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bluebeast1562

bluebeast1562

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a bigger pain on the 5th gen trucks. I did this back in February on my 19 laramie.

You will need to pull the entire grill to remove the letters from the back. Screws and clips are holding the letter assy in place.

If you have factory fender flares, you should plan on removing those to get at the one bolt between the fender and lower piece below the headlight 7mm or 8mm socket eureka well for popping the clips lose from the back .... No one mentioned it in their videos that I saw and I had no plans on breaking anything to get it apart.

Grill/Fender Pt1:
Grill/Fender Pt2:
Grill/Fender Pt3:
M² Mods.
Thanks for the video link, watched most of it for now, looks to be a PITA but hey, got the some blackout parts, waiting for a few more and a good weekend.

RedneckHippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 Hemi w/ MDS
Thanks for the video link, watched most of it for now, looks to be a PITA but hey, got the some blackout parts, waiting for a few more and a good weekend.
Must not want us to remove their advertising.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I changed mine for black lettering, hated the chrome.. you do not need to remove the grill!!! you can remove one letter at a time by using a plastic trim tool and reaching behind with your index finger, there are little clips back there that you can push down on to get them to release.. Get a new set of letters and you will see how they are attached!

20210223_163523.jpg

Last edited:

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins

Grill/Fender Pt1:
Grill/Fender Pt2:
Grill/Fender Pt3:

M² Mods.

I don't like those grille LED's. the install looks real cheesy and half ass'd.. They should have used the mounting holes in the grill to mount them and recess them about a half inch.. I am building custom mounts for mine and they will look alot better /professional..

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just looking for insight before I tackle this. About to change my current chrome RAM lettering on the grill for black. Has anyone does this without removing the entire grill? My thought process on this is to remove the shroud between the engine and grill and pull the letters off. (Not sure how those are mounted). Any advise would be great. TIA.

May be look into vinyl overlays for the RAM lettering. I've used vinyl graphics before and never had an issue with peeling or deterioration of the vinyl.

I was looking into getting some white vinyl lettering to do the RAM on the front of mine.

That could work, and I have seen some decent vinyl ones, but IMO, on a truck that the entire rest of the grill is blacked out, like on the Warlock editions, having a "chrome" RAM looks kind of silly. I am looking into changing mine for a blacked out RAM look. And if you want it to look factory, while they do not look bad, an overlay just isn't the same. The down side to ordering a factory part from the dealer or elsewhere does usually cost more than a vinyl sticker.

SargeRN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo
Started my "Blackout" project last week-end. Got the hood badges, tailgate RAM emblem, tailgate 4X4 emblem and the Cummins turbo diesel emblems replaced. After doing some reading on this forum tackled the RAM on the grille this evening. Took about 10 minute to remove the chrome and rebadged with the black. Only thing left is the RAM on the front doors and those will be done Friday morning.
OK guess I should tell you about the RAM. 2021 2500 diesel 4X4, crew cab 8 foot bed. Color is Olive Green Peral coat Oh and it's just 5 weeks old! The chrome really didn't do it so got all the badges in black and have been replacing them as time and weather permit! When it's complete and washed weather permitting I'll post pictures.
THANKS for all the help and advise this forum has given me in this project!!
Sarge

tex68w

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Started my "Blackout" project last week-end. Got the hood badges, tailgate RAM emblem, tailgate 4X4 emblem and the Cummins turbo diesel emblems replaced. After doing some reading on this forum tackled the RAM on the grille this evening. Took about 10 minute to remove the chrome and rebadged with the black. Only thing left is the RAM on the front doors and those will be done Friday morning.
OK guess I should tell you about the RAM. 2021 2500 diesel 4X4, crew cab 8 foot bed. Color is Olive Green Peral coat Oh and it's just 5 weeks old! The chrome really didn't do it so got all the badges in black and have been replacing them as time and weather permit! When it's complete and washed weather permitting I'll post pictures.
Sarge

I've been doing the same with mine, just three weeks old now. The only thing I have left are the chrome grille surrounds, I just can't decide if I am going to go with the painted white parts to match the truck or the Tradesman level raw black plastic for simplicity and durability. I opted to remove the 'RAM' on the doors and the '4x4' on the tailgate altogether, just felt tacky. The Midnight Edition LED headlights were the best OEM upgrade I've made so far, total transformation of the front end and it should look even better with the rest of the chrome gone.

SATCOM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
On my 2019 Laramie had seperate letters and each came off using a slim blade. I did it knowing I care not about breaking them. However it simple and have the three silver ones, in perfect condition, if somebody needs them.

RaptorHD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500HD
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I De-Badged my whole truck.. The only things I have are the chrome bars in the grill (is a good accent) and the hood inserts, no Cummins logo, Ram, Bighorn or 4x4.. I hate chrome, I am not allowed to own chrome because I do not own a Chevy ( I am to educated for the Chevy) or a Harley Davidson, my wife is not 350lbs (which is why you need the Harley).

All I have left is to complete the Custom wheels I am making and Viola---Done!

Wulf

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sarge

My blackout completion project is partially underway. Ended up getting black (matte-ish) lug nuts that are the exact same style as the factory originals from I want to say WhiteKnight I think it is. The ones from the dealer have a "do not use impact wrenches" type warning on them, and a weak indented spot between the part that fits against the wheels, and the spot you use the lug wrench on.

Ordered a set (from the dealer) of blacked out grill letters, and they came in today, but I found out after they closed. So picking them up on Monday. Everything else is blacked out already (bumpers, badging, etc.). According to what I have found out, if you have what I call a Fu RAM Chu style grill, that is apparently officially a Rebel grill.

Ended up getting a Warlock replacement badge from Etsy to go in place of the CLASSIC one, and working on finding a better finish one if I can find one, to put on there. Blacked out "CLASSIC" or "WARLOCK" will be hard to tell the difference without a closer look.

Bobbildr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Big Horn Sport
Engine
Hemi
They pop right off. Just be careful and slowly pry up the corners. The tabs on the old ram letters will probably break off here and there but new ones lock right back in. Did mine over a year ago and was very easy. I was skeptical at first but piece of cake.

Rambonehead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 TD
I De-Badged my whole truck.. The only things I have are the chrome bars in the grill (is a good accent) and the hood inserts, no Cummins logo, Ram, Bighorn or 4x4.. I hate chrome, I am not allowed to own chrome because I do not own a Chevy ( I am to educated for the Chevy) or a Harley Davidson, my wife is not 350lbs (which is why you need the Harley).

All I have left is to complete the Custom wheels I am making and Viola---Done!
Do you have photos of your truck de-badged?

By the way I own 2 Harley-Davidsons and my wife of many years barely breaks 99lbs. That’s 1 pound below 100!!!!!! But I understand your point!