Ram Rearend options - LS? Locker? Axle code location?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

67Vert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hello Ram Forum,

I'm looking at 4th gen 4WD Ram and prefer a limited slip or locking rear. What were the options in this gen Ram?

I know that Ford has the axle code on the door tag and GM has RPO codes in glove box. Where do i look on for the axle code for Ram ?

Also, is 4WD Auto a standard feature for 4WD or an option?

Thanks

Last edited:

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There was a factory limited slip available, for HD trucks that is a helical unit and for 1500s it is a clutch type unit. Before 2011 it has preload and post 2011 it has no preload because traction control was changed and provides the loading.

Recently a helical LSD became available for 1500s

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Limited slip should have a tag around the right axle tube near the backing plate.
You can run the VIN to check also, or just light up the tires and see if it leaves two stripes.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m likely going to put a lunchbox or drop-in locker in my open rear diff. Tired of watching the right rear tire spin all alone.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I’m likely going to put a lunchbox or drop-in locker in my open rear diff. Tired of watching the right rear tire spin all alone.

Definitely let us know your thoughts on that product. Very curious to see how it works.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Eaton has a drop in Detriot True Trac for the ZF available now.No more having to buy the older ring and pinion gears or another axle to put a DTT in a ZF diff.They're about 5 years late for me,but i like the DTT in my truck,i haven't been able to blow it up in 5 years of drag racing with it.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eaton has a drop in Detriot True Trac for the ZF available now.No more having to buy the older ring and pinion gears or another axle to put a DTT in a ZF diff.They're about 5 years late for me,but i like the DTT in my truck,i haven't been able to blow it up in 5 years of drag racing with it.

It’s a carrier replacement unit, I’m looking at the the ones that fit inside the oem carrier. The lunchboxes aren’t as good a unit, but easy DIY install and cheaper.