RAM Tazer in a 2018 Rebel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hey all,

Ordered the Tazer and the long t harness. It didn't ship with the security bypass module and cannot find install directions for the long harness. Can find a "short harness" instructions but very different than the long. I've tried texting and emailing z auto but no reponse yet.

Anyone have it in a 2018? Can you confirm the bypass module is needed?
Anyone got instructions for the long harness?

Thanks!
-Brian

OP
OP
chopperman1

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Heard back from Z Auto, bypass module not needed with the long harness. Still looking for long harness install directions please. I have an ask in to them for it as well.

alamartina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Flex
When you refer to long and short cables, I assume you mean the short cable that comes with the unit vs the longer 'gateway bypass cable'?

blue ghost

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 sport
Engine
hemi 5.7
Installation information is on their site, below item

alamartina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Flex
Thank you. I have been on their site. Call medense, but confused by the two install documents. Both refer to 2018. One speaks of installing a by-pass module behind the radio, the other does not. Wondering whether the one with the by-pass module is for DT and the for a DS.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Wondering whether the one with the by-pass module is for DT and the for a DS.
Only '18 and newer trucks require a security gateway bypass. In the '18 model year there is only the DS body.
Starting with the '19 model year there is both the DS and DT body styles. With Tazer there is two different modules based on which body style, the DT body has a different communication bus configuration.

alamartina

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 Flex
Thank you again for your reply. So on the Tazer website it shows one Ram Tazer and two sets of instructions. One says “2018 Ram 1500, 2019-2021 Ram 1500 Classic and 2018-2021 Ram 2500-500”. The other set of instructions say “2-18 Ram 1500/2500/3500 Security Bypass Install”. One shows installing a separate By Pass Module behind the radio, the other does not.
i wish Tazer had warm body support.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If your long cable bypass looks like the one pictured on the website:
wire-2.png
If memory serves me correctly you pull the trucks OBE port down, it gets plugged into the harness. One of the OBD ports on the harness goes back where the truck one used to be and the other port is for the Tazer module.
The green and white plugs go to terminal strips near the steering column with similar colored plugs (or wires).