Random tire pressure drop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey everybody,
I was on my way home today and I got a TPMS warning, with the right rear psi flashing at 19. While pulling over to check the tire, it went back up to 36 and has been flashing. I’m not seeing any damage to the tire. I don’t know if I hit a big pothole or big chunk of concrete. I felt a slight vibration in the rear end, then that went away. It drove home fine. Once the tires cool down for a while, I’m going to top them all up to 39 psi. I have about 26,000 miles on these tires. They’re the Goodyear’s that come from the factory. I know they don’t have the best rep for longevity. I have some very slight cracking on the rears, but nothing crazy. My question is could the sensor in the tire be on the fritz or is it time be thinking about some new tires? Thanks guys!

f135d0a15b33f95023f7bd1e175d1d44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Get Rid of them chit tires! Sounds like one of your monitors is on the way out . I had something similar happen .

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Get Rid of them chit tires! Sounds like one of your monitors is on the way out . I had something similar happen .

Off topic and out of the blue but my front right tire is so bald and the wear is so incredibly ineven that you can see a massive slant in the wear.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
TPMS sensor is going.
When you get new tires get new sensor too.
And buy a $2 tire gauge, more reliable than the electronic nanny on the dashboard.

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bad TPMS sensor and please replace those cracked ************* badyear wrangler tires before you have an accident.
Those tires with cracks are running on borrowed time till they either have tread / cord separation or a major blowout on the road.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I also agree sounds like a sensor going ! They are 6 years old so I would replace them at the tire change ! As for the SRA tires mine had mine on about 40k on them when I got a new set of AT/S tires, I was OK with the SRA tires. BUT my AT/S tires are better :) When tire sidewalls start to crack that is the sign of tire ageing weathering rot starting etc , You may or may not be OK using them but is it worth the risk to you and your family ?

https://suburbservice.net/2020/02/is-tire-sidewall-cracking-dangerous/

OP
OP
haydene94

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies guys! I was thinking the sensor was starting to go. As far as the cracking goes, they are small ones starting on the treads, but nothing on the sidewalls as seen in the pic attached. It looks more like the early signs of dry rot to me. Sorry if I didn’t explain that earlier. The tread depth seems ok. I’m gonna go by mechanic tomorrow and see what a sensor replacement would cost me. I probably will do all 4 due to their age, and order Mopar replacements. As for new tires, do you guys have any suggestions? I was looking at Michelin LTX’s or a similar all season truck tire. I live in Los Angeles and we rarely have any rain. 99% of my driving is on city streets and a blast down a freeway here and there. [emoji41]

Thank you again!

caa487c2f66275950983776188008514.jpg

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I was thinking the sensor was starting to go. As far as the cracking goes, they are small ones starting on the treads, but nothing on the sidewalls as seen in the pic attached. It looks more like the early signs of dry rot to me. Sorry if I didn’t explain that earlier. The tread depth seems ok. I’m gonna go by mechanic tomorrow and see what a sensor replacement would cost me. I probably will do all 4 due to their age, and order Mopar replacements. As for new tires, do you guys have any suggestions? I was looking at Michelin LTX’s or a similar all season truck tire. I live in Los Angeles and we rarely have any rain. 99% of my driving is on city streets and a blast down a freeway here and there. [emoji41]

Thank you again!

caa487c2f66275950983776188008514.jpg

Your tires actually look damn near bald to me, can't be more than a couple 32nds there! Michelin LTX's are great tires but they are expensive. Of course anything is an upgrade to the factory GY's.

OP
OP
haydene94

haydene94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick update guys. The Ram is getting some brand spankin’ new Kuhmo Crugen HT51’s in the morning! I picked up a big ass bolt in my front passenger tire at some point while driving this morning. I was hearing a thumping noise and couldn’t figure out what it was. I finally found the culprit. It was holding pressure most of the day but then decided to let go. Luckily I was 2 blocks from home. The tire is totally flat. I swapped out the flat for the spare, and guess what, the spare has a small hole in it! [emoji854] I filled it up but it isn’t holding pressure. I’m having it towed to my mechanic in the am to get the new tires put on. Thanks again for all the help. It’s been a hell of a day!d07ba35afa32411aed49eb642f71626e.jpg

ab8e42a9b93c90411bf7c476a79a32c0.jpg

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You will be happy if you rid yourself of those Goodyear’s. I

Last edited:

Jeff Strader

BlackBeauty
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh no, don't get rid of the tires because of a simple bolt....LOL....Just add more and make them Snow Tires!....LOL!!