RC 6 inch lift on ram 1500 classic making noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reevo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So finally installed 6 inch rough country lift by myself on my 2020 ram 1500 4WD to save some money. Haven’t gotten alignment done yet, wanted to test drive first...

Now I can hear squeaking sound on right and left turn from front wheel. Nothing seems to be loose or rubbing. What should I do next. Any suggestion's.
Thanks

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can you post a link to the kit you installed so we can see which components you replaced?

Welcome to forum too!

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You may need a second pair of hands to help you troubleshoot. Can you replicate the squeak with the truck standing still moving the steering wheel? Does it happen when the truck is moving and the suspension cycles? If the truck doesn’t need to be driven to replicate the sound all you need is somebody behind the steering wheel moving it left and rigth while you check where the noise comes from, you can pin point it using an stethoscope or long fuel hose for example as a stethoscope. Squeaks are typically bushings but can be other things as well. When you did the install did you torque down your control arms with the full weight of the truck on them? Factory arms have rubber bushings so if you did the torque down with the truck in their air the bushings will bind and get damaged fairly quick and you’ll know cause they’ll squeak.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you loosen the upper control arms to get the new knuckles in? If so, did you tighten them with the truck back on the ground? ^ ram1500rsm beat me to it. I was thinking bushings as well.

OP
OP
R

reevo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You may need a second pair of hands to help you troubleshoot. Can you replicate the squeak with the truck standing still moving the steering wheel? Does it happen when the truck is moving and the suspension cycles? If the truck doesn’t need to be driven to replicate the sound all you need is somebody behind the steering wheel moving it left and rigth while you check where the noise comes from, you can pin point it using an stethoscope or long fuel hose for example as a stethoscope. Squeaks are typically bushings but can be other things as well. When you did the install did you torque down your control arms with the full weight of the truck on them? Factory arms have rubber bushings so if you did the torque down with the truck in their air the bushings will bind and get damaged fairly quick and you’ll know cause they’ll squeak.
Thanks for your feedback. I tightened the control arms in the air... seems like that could be cause of the problem. Thanks

OP
OP
R

reevo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you loosen the upper control arms to get the new knuckles in? If so, did you tighten them with the truck back on the ground? ^ ram1500rsm beat me to it. I was thinking bushings as well.
Let me loose it again and tighten it back while on the ground. Hope it fixes the issue.
Thanks

stpatty77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so how did this work out? I ordered the same kit end of may early june sometime and i am still waiting on it.

OP
OP
R

reevo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yes it was the bushings... I loosened them then let the truck sit on its own weight then I tightened them and got aligned. Everything seems fine for the last 4 months. Now i am healing screeching sound only on sharp turns downhill. Dont know what is the cause of it. I set my suspension's on setting 2 FYI.