RCX 4" Spacer Lift.. Add Fox 2.0's? (Full front end rebuild)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

My 2014 currently has a RC 4" lift on it from years ago with the front differential dropped. The RCX kit has the taller knuckles so the geometry is still good control arm-wise. But, I don't that believe my stock coilovers are handling the weight of the 35's well. Those damn RCX knuckles must be 15-20 lbs heavier than the OEM ones which also doesn't help. I'm looking to tame the ride a bit as I do 99% road driving and my main concern is handling the cracks and pot holes in the road at city driving speed.

I understand that stacking spacers with good shocks isn't recommended for our trucks, but my frame is already cut for the differential drop so there's no going back down! Do you guys think it's worth it to swap out the OEM coilovers for something better like Fox 2.0 or Bilstein 4600/5100? I have 35/13.5/20F Ridge Grapplers on it, but am changing them out for 325/60/20 E-load to save 10lbs per corner, but they're still super heavy tire so I figure I need a shock that can handle all that bounce. I had also toyed with the idea of Fox, Icon, or King 2.5's but I just can't justify spending that much if it's hardly going off-road. Thoughts?

While I've got it apart I'll be replacing the OEM UCA's with Mevotech TTX arms, changing the CV axles, upgrading the outer tie rod ends to Mevotech TTX's, and replacing the sway bar / end link bushings. Next time I have it apart (in a year when I can save up more) I'll be changing the hub assemblies and LCA's so that I have a full refreshed suspension that hopefully will ride like new....annnnddd once it's all refreshed I'll be able to trust the components off road

PS: I have Icon 2.0's in the back and have been very happy with them.

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bump! Any input on the benefit of 5100's or Fox 2.0's in the front with the spacers?

Along with the CV axles I've realized that I'm also going to be replacing the passenger intermediate shaft with the new part from Rick Roods Transmission.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've realized that I'm also going to be replacing the passenger intermediate shaft with the new part from Rick Roods Transmission.

Cheaper to do a Gen 3 front diff swap at that point.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A front diff for less than $500CAD?! I can't imagine that haha.
Tons of gen 3s in junk yards. FB marketplace place is where I found mine. ( 300$ ) Took me almost a years to gather all my parts for my swap. Even sold the Gen 4 front diff when I was done for 500$... lol... All that fixing the Gen 4 front diff will give you is the same problem down the road. Its such a bad design.
Also just noticed in your sig that you have the TTX control arms.. how are you liking them? They're in my cart as we speak!
They seem to be holding up to my off-roading use so far. The only problem I have on my truck is the CVs ( I dont run a front sway bar ) , Hopefully the Trackmotive Xtended solve that problem.

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tons of gen 3s in junk yards. FB marketplace place is where I found mine. ( 300$ ) Took me almost a years to gather all my parts for my swap. Even sold the Gen 4 front diff when I was done for 500$... lol... All that fixing the Gen 4 front diff will give you is the same problem down the road. Its such a bad design.

They seem to be holding up to my off-roading use so far. The only problem I have on my truck is the CVs ( I dont run a front sway bar ) , Hopefully the Trackmotive Xtended solve that problem.

The new shaft from Roods comes with their own gasket/sealer to prevent the elements from getting into the splines again. It's Ram's design flaw (and should be a recall imo), but their solution is touted to resolve the issue once and for all by keeping all the crap out of it in the first place. Plus, the time I'd spend looking for the 3rd gen diff, then picking it up, doing the extra work.. I'd spend more than 200 in time haha!

Glad to hear about the TTX arms! Did you go with the TTX tie-rods as well?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know, I had that kit. I kept the 2 rubber cups when I sold it and put them on my Gen 3. lol.

Yup TTX tie rods as well.

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know, I had that kit. I kept the 2 rubber cups when I sold it and put them on my Gen 3. lol.

Yup TTX tie rods as well.
wow, you had the same issue happen again even with their shaft and new seal?! or did you do the gen 3 swap to re-gear? I'm at 3.92 right now with 35's and I don't plan on going any taller.

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bump to see if anyone has an opinion / knowledge on my original question! stacking 2.0's or 5100's with 4" spacers

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
bump to see if anyone has an opinion / knowledge on my original question! stacking 2.0's or 5100's with 4" spacers
The 5100s are basically OEM replacement with a lift option which it doesn't sound like you need, I'm not sure what you'd gain by that swap. The Fox 2.0s would be a small upgrade, maybe @Quick_Shifter has an opinion.

In your shoes I'd probably wait and save to spend once on 2.5 coilovers and not spend the money on a lateral or at best small jump. That's why my truck is still on 5100s while I save up for Kings.

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5100s are basically OEM replacement with a lift option which it doesn't sound like you need, I'm not sure what you'd gain by that swap. The Fox 2.0s would be a small upgrade, maybe @Quick_Shifter has an opinion.

In your shoes I'd probably wait and save to spend once on 2.5 coilovers and not spend the money on a lateral or at best small jump. That's why my truck is still on 5100s while I save up for Kings.
Thanks for the reply! Okay, good to know. I assume you feel the same way about the 6112's as the Fox 2.0's? I'm looking to go offroad racing, I just need something to tame the 100lbs of rim and tire jolting each corner!

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hey all,

My 2014 currently has a RC 4" lift on it from years ago with the front differential dropped. The RCX kit has the taller knuckles so the geometry is still good control arm-wise. But, I don't that believe my stock coilovers are handling the weight of the 35's well. Those damn RCX knuckles must be 15-20 lbs heavier than the OEM ones which also doesn't help. I'm looking to tame the ride a bit as I do 99% road driving and my main concern is handling the cracks and pot holes in the road at city driving speed.

I understand that stacking spacers with good shocks isn't recommended for our trucks, but my frame is already cut for the differential drop so there's no going back down! Do you guys think it's worth it to swap out the OEM coilovers for something better like Fox 2.0 or Bilstein 4600/5100? I have 35/13.5/20F Ridge Grapplers on it, but am changing them out for 325/60/20 E-load to save 10lbs per corner, but they're still super heavy tire so I figure I need a shock that can handle all that bounce. I had also toyed with the idea of Fox, Icon, or King 2.5's but I just can't justify spending that much if it's hardly going off-road. Thoughts?

While I've got it apart I'll be replacing the OEM UCA's with Mevotech TTX arms, changing the CV axles, upgrading the outer tie rod ends to Mevotech TTX's, and replacing the sway bar / end link bushings. Next time I have it apart (in a year when I can save up more) I'll be changing the hub assemblies and LCA's so that I have a full refreshed suspension that hopefully will ride like new....annnnddd once it's all refreshed I'll be able to trust the components off road

PS: I have Icon 2.0's in the back and have been very happy with them.
You’re fine to run a Bilstein 5100 set at stock height with a spacer

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
wow, you had the same issue happen again even with their shaft and new seal?!

This is what they look like after just 2 winters. Water still gets in and turns the grease black.

I pull them every year and regrease them. This will probbaly be the last winter and will have to order 2 more seals next year as they started to crack and the rubber is getting brittle.

PXL_20221024_190259892.jpg

PXL_20221024_190237851.jpg

OP
OP
ginandtonic

ginandtonic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is what they look like after just 2 winters. Water still gets in and turns the grease black.

I pull them every year and regrease them. This will probbaly be the last winter and will have to order 2 more seals next year as they started to crack and the rubber is getting brittle.

View attachment 505169

View attachment 505170
Good lord. I see in your sig you have a 4" lift plys 6112's - are the 6112's at stock height or did you go further than 4"? And all this is happening on your 3rd or 4th gen diff?

Also, how do you like the 6112's with your 4" lift? Do you find it helped with the ride quality by chilling out those big front tires?!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

View attachment 505169

View attachment 505170
Where are you ordering your seals from? When I swap my fronts I need to pull the shafts apart and clean them and seal them somehow

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the reply! Okay, good to know. I assume you feel the same way about the 6112's as the Fox 2.0's? I'm looking to go offroad racing, I just need something to tame the 100lbs of rim and tire jolting each corner!
I haven't run the 6112s, based on reading here I would rank them higher than the Fox 2.0s.

@DILLIGAF has the 6112s