Rear brakes squealing after dealer rebuilt differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nstuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Long winded post ahead...apologies in advance.

So I had my truck in for the rear pinion nut recall. Dealer found that the pinion nut had already started backing off and a complete rear differential rebuild was required. Took them almost 2 weeks, and the whole process was a huge pain in the ass.

The truck was finally done today, and when the service adviser called she says oh yeah by the way, the tech said there are no parking brake shoes on the vehicle. Not worn out, they are missing.

I don't know how that could possibly be since I just bought the truck 3 weeks ago and tested the parking brake before I bought it.

I said to her whatever I need the truck back since I had a brake line blow out this morning on my other truck that I've been driving the last 2 weeks. Button it all back up and I'll figure it out. Figured it wouldn't be a big deal for a day or 2 until I can get in there and see what's going on.

Now, when I drive the truck, it constantly is making an unbearably loud screeching noise from the time the truck starts moving to the time it stops. There is no way I didn't hear it before the truck was in the shop. People 2 blocks away are turning their heads to see what the noise is.

I am NOT taking it back as they've basically told me not their problem and to go pound sand. I've had horrible experiences with this dealer before and wouldn't have gone there in the first place except that they were the only ones who had the parts for the recall work. I'll deal with them with Chrysler Corporate. But in the meantime, I need to figure out what this noise is. It's so bad I would honestly rather drive my Ford with the blown brake line.

Hopefully tomorrow afternoon I should get a chance to pop the wheels off and take a look at the brakes. I've already bought a set of parking brake shoes and a hardware kit. But I can't imagine that missing parking brake shoes would make this kind of noise. My only thought is that they put something back together wrong. The parking brake pedal goes to the floor and the brake light flashes when the pedal is engaged so there is definitely something going on there.

Any thoughts or things I should look for?

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering if something from the emergency brake inside the rotor is rubbing. That's the only thing other than maybe a bent backing plate. Yea, definitely call Chrysler customer service, there's no excuse for **** poor customer service, period. Let us know what you find.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have no Parking brake shoes I would def start there, most likely one of the E Brake parks is dragging against the drum liner.

OP
OP
N

nstuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I got it all apart yesterday and fixed.

I was going off the dealer's word when I said no parking brakes shoes. I hadn't actually seen it for myself.

Anyway I took the passenger side apart which looked fine and thought wtf I thought they said there were no shoes...

Got the drivers side off and realized what they meant. I guess the friction material separated from the backing plate and when they took off the rotor it must have all fallen apart. All that was left when I got to it was the backing plates. I also found that they installed the old drivers side pads backwards. Inside pad was on the outside and outside pad was on the inside.

I was kinda pissed they waited until it was done to tell me, since I see the procedure calls for pulling the axle shafts out and I really didn't want to pull the diff cover after they literally just rebuilt the diff. I managed to do it all without pulling the axles but it was a real pain. About a 20 minute job turned into about 3 hours.

Anyway for about $175 I got a new set of parking brake shoes, hardware kit, and new pads and rotors for the rear since they looked pretty crappy and I had them off anyway.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
*********! I'm glad you got it fixed. I'd stay clear of them for any other work.