Rear end howling/scratching noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’m pretty sure this noise is coming from my rear diff and from research my pinion bearing may be going bad possibly? Has anyone else experienced this noise on their trucks and how much did it cost to fix? In the video I put the truck on jack stands (barely tall enough to get my 35’s off the ground) and had my wife put it in drive and give light acceleration to hear the noise while I filmed. You can also hear the same noise while decelerating. It only goes away in certain situations while driving and giving it very light throttle. Here is a link to the video.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Had a Nissan pinion bearing go bad one time. It would make a singing sound on deceleration like youre talking about. It cost 200 bucks to replace it, that was the bearing, seal, and refill the rear diff. That was 10 years ago. No telling on price now.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
for the cost of a gasket or rtv sealer & diff fluid

remove the inspection cover on the rear differential

drain fluid into a container & check it for silver shavings & metal chunks
remove the cover plate just above the E Brake panel
you will see an Orange cord, under the cord there is a small release mechanism, push it in with a screw driver or a key & gently pull the cord, the Ram transmission is now in Neutral.

You can now rotate a tire or the drive shaft

You may be able to move the pinion up, down, left, right IF the bearing is shot

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
2014 Column shift, Park Release Mechanism

2014 Rotary knob Park Release Mechanism

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had my differential rebuilt due to similar noise. My problem was that it started the noise about six hours from home, by the time I got home it was howling very bad. I pulled the whole rear end out and brought it to a differential shop and they had to replace the gears and bearings, since I ran it so far the bearing fragments had messed up the gears along with the gears not meshing properly.
They put a Eaton True Trac Limited slip carrier in along with new gears and pinion bearings and it cost me $2100. I don’t have the invoice with me to see what the cost was for the labor versus the parts. If I remember correctly I was charged for six hours of labor.
Hopefully for you, you get yours repaired in time before further damage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
scubasteege

scubasteege

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Dang that sucks. Well what damage has been done there’s probably not a lot of hope for mine I’ve been driving it for a few thousand miles

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once you have confirmed the ujoints are good and you pull the diff cover and see damage. Just go to a local junk yard find a lower mileage rear axle and throw it in very easy/quick job can be done in a few hours better then rebuilding.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Only if they have been working on similar jobs, has the proper tools & watched videos on the subject

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Needs inspection alright. I had a Jeep that started to make some odd noises at low speeds. New lubricant solved the problem. Your issue sounds more serious. Good luck.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang that sucks. Well what damage has been done there’s probably not a lot of hope for mine I’ve been driving it for a few thousand miles
You don't know until you open it up... gears might be ok. I had noise in my mustang that was primarily from the carrier bearings. I drove it at least 1000 or 2000 miles like that before getting it looked at. The driveline shop told me the gears were ok but heard noise in multiple bearings with the carrier bearing being the worst. Got them all replaced as well as axle bearings for $1200 on that car.

TerryMc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one go with almost no noise at all. Had it rebuilt and on my next trip it started howling like crazy about 9 hours from home. The first shop did it wrong. It took about 2 weeks to get the parts and a couple of days to get the right guy to look at it. I would see about getting a rebuilt rear end, if I had it to do over again, that's what I would have done.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357