Rear end replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shmelton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My rear end in my 2016 Cummins went out in May of 19,and I had it replaced by the Ram dealer here in my home town. Today I’m pretty sure my rear end went out again 17 months and 20k miles later. I’m over 100k, so what type of warranty does a factory rear end have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I would think it would fall under the standard 5 year 100K powertrain warranty (don't think it starts over when you get new parts installed). I would definitely pursue it with Ram though and see what they can do for you. That's not an item I have seen many failures with so wonder why you have been through 2 rears now? Something doesn't seem right.

OP
OP
S

shmelton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t have confidence in the dealer I used the 1st time. I’m not certain the work was performed correctly. I happened to break down across the st. from a dealer in a larger farming community that deals with 3/4 ton trucks more. I hope Ram can help out, I don’t want to pay far a new rear end, I’m guessing 4-5k worth of work.

Reactions: U&A

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Was it complete, bolt-on axle or did they rebuild it? IF the latter, I've never known a dealer service dept. that didn't muck up rear end work , especially R&P gears. It should be covered under the 5 year power train warranty , I would think, unless they try to deny the claim.

OP
OP
S

shmelton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was told it had to be a new rear end because the wheel bearing blew the 1st time, and did a ton of damage. The 2nd time I took off trying to merge in traffic, and it felt like I ran over something with a loud bang, and would not move. I put it into 4wd and got it to the dealership. Drive shaft would spin, when I put it in park the transmission would grind if I’m 2wd. While in the dealership parking lot I re engaged 2wd (shifter on floor) and it did go in 2wd then disengaged like it was in neutral again.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its important to know if it was rebuilt or a new complete unit. is it making whine or growling noise or what leads you to think somethings wrong ? what happened with the original differential ?

OP
OP
S

shmelton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its important to know if it was rebuilt or a new complete unit. is it making whine or growling noise or what leads you to think somethings wrong ? what happened with the original differential ?

See post above this one. This should explain your questions. I’ll try to give more info if I can.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ya i think i was typing the same time as you. report back when you know more. differentials dont normally drop dead for no reason so it will be interesting what happened

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have a set of 3.73 for sale if they will not warrant the work. Have 52k miles on them.

Halligan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You snapped something in there. Reason why it grinds going into park in 2wd is because even though the truck is stopped the rear driveshaft is still spinning ( cause something is snapped in rear axle) while your stopped. When you place it in park with the driveshaft still spinning the park pawl is grinding while trying to latch in.

OP
OP
S

shmelton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry so long for the reply. I was told they had to replace left rear axle, and gaskets to the differential. Same side I tore the wheel bearing out of last time...live and learn.