Rear hop under hard acceleration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigMikeyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 4x4 Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe it's just me but my srt8 392 also hop's in the rear under hard acceleration I like to use my vehicles abuse them but I always take care of them.

I plan on doing a pure performance long travel suspension set up in the future so I don't want to change out to much figure I'll just do the basic set up when I do and upgrade if I need more later.

but is it normal for the truck to hop. neither my 12 or 13 with the 6 speed hopped like this. But IMO the 6 speed made me get rid of the other trucks always searching and never working right for me. (I would think that because the rear is somewhat light under wot ie rubber burning one wheel that is, it's pretty likely) and what's the fix. Btw my insurance is cheap and I don't have any tickets I know when and where to have fun.

I have the 3.21 gear ratio in the rear. With that tall of a ratio I would think that the 3.92's have a real hard time. to me even with a high ratio I have trouble taking off with out wheel spin esp. in a slightly damp environment. eventually will be running 35/37's so that will make it even taller wonder if there will be enough low end there.

Moparman1303

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L + 8spd
Well my 14 has 3.92 and it def has wheel hop. My God, it's like a muscle truck lol. I was trying to pass a vehicle and sure the pavement had bumps buy I'm sure it had trouble to hook up!

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

kidwolf908

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Almost any vehicle with IRS is going to hop under hard acceleration. There are bushing kits for the Challenger that should help you with that though. I have a 6 speed 392 as well, but seem to be one of the lucky ones that doesn't experience wheel hop.

Not sure what is available for the RAM though. We're not the only brand that has this issue either. Camaros have wheel hope as well. And I'm sure the 2015 stang will too.

OP
OP
B

BigMikeyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 4x4 Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope I can address the issue when I go with a long travel lift for now I'll just deal with it.

my 6 speed 392 squats and goes as long as It can grab traction. but it's so easy to lose traction with the stock performance tires I assume that making a change in tires on either would help but the real problem isn't addressed there so suspension/bushings sounds good I'm selling my srt8 and hope to get another one some day but it's to slow for me :happy175:

kidwolf908

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I hope I can address the issue when I go with a long travel lift for now I'll just deal with it.

my 6 speed 392 squats and goes as long as It can grab traction. but it's so easy to lose traction with the stock performance tires I assume that making a change in tires on either would help but the real problem isn't addressed there so suspension/bushings sounds good I'm selling my srt8 and hope to get another one some day but it's to slow for me :happy175:

Well hopefully you can just take it to the dealer to trade for a 2015 Hellcat with the 6.2L SC. According to Ralph Gilles, the Viper will no longer have the highest horsepower rating in the SRT lineup, so you'll be looking at over 640HP.

Lawhand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
in my truck(not saying it is the same thing) my wheel hop came from the factory not tighening the lower control arms tight enough. had one of the bearings go out on the interstate. so you could start by checking torque specs.

OP
OP
B

BigMikeyD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 4x4 Crew
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well hopefully you can just take it to the dealer to trade for a 2015 Hellcat with the 6.2L SC. According to Ralph Gilles, the Viper will no longer have the highest horsepower rating in the SRT lineup, so you'll be looking at over 640HP.

I doubt that the 392 was supposed to have over 500 hp/tq they came in at 470 maybe fiat will be smart and decide to surge the brand by dropping the biggest baddest v8 to date from any auto maker and save the company from mistakes like the nitro, caliber, avenger etc.