Rear turn signals and brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gunny1261

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
rear turn signal and brakes not working

so my brake lights and turn signals are not working. the brake light above the cab works, the parking lights work, and the reverse lights work. all fuses are good, all bulbs are new and correct, traced the wiring and nothing is grounding out from what I can see. any one got any suggestions?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The third brake light is on it's own 12v circuit, The brake light switch has three sets of contacts. 1. third light. 2. brake sense 5v going to PCM. 3. 5v sense going to IPM. Looks like you have the 12v leg. Does your cruise control work?

gunny1261

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
where is the brake light switch and would it also affect the turn signals?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
where is the brake light switch and would it also affect the turn signals?

The switch is located under the dash and the brake pedal manually operates it.
It or a connection are the most likely to have failed. The IPM is next in the path.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Would that affect the turn signals too?

I haven't studied this a lot but the only thing in common I see is the IPM controlling the 12v side of the lights. There are relays you can check. Would recommend looking at the manual. Good luck..

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
I went through something similar... I had a large amount of water in my tail lights and I finally got new ones... the new ones work perfectly fine.. what happened to mine was the water in the tails ruined my circuit board inside the plastic without my knowing and no fuses were blown so with the ruined circuit boards my brake lights would work but everything else worked except my ruining lights for the turn signal bulb

LS5DodgeRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8
Keep in mind i just replaced my bulbs as well and they never blew out even with them not working

drowsell1948

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 dodge ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
2007 dodge ram no brake light, no signal lights in rear.
signal indicator blinks quickly

Triple Diesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the same problam. Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what was the problem?

dzrtrataz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I hate when people ask for assistance and never reply what the correction was. Would be nice to know since I have the same issue.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I hate when people ask for assistance and never reply what the correction was. Would be nice to know since I have the same issue.

If you have the stock tail lights, most likely issue is the circuit board in the tail light has gone bad. Easiest fix is to replace the complete tail light assembly with an LED unit and not worry about it again. Otherwise, check the circuit board and go from there.

Ricky Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
We have the same symptoms on our Dodge Ram 1500 2007, no tail lights, no blinkers but we do have back up lights. Have checked bulbs, fuses, etc. with no change. Someone suggested it may be the TIPM from looking at a schematic of the electrical system. Have not checked this out yet.

Just replace the TIPM that I bought from a junk yard and now everything works perfectly. I cleared the codes and everything came back on.

Last edited:

Ricky Allen

Reaction score
Ram Year
The way to correct this problem is to replace the TIPM. We had the exact same problem and had a friend search the schematics. It led to the TIPM. We bought a used TIPM for our vehicle, just replaced it, and everything works!!!.