Rear water leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ram20191500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 hemi 5.7
@RamCares is there anything being done to rectify this. I have a 2019 ram 1500 5th Gen and I am experience leaking in the rear vehicle near the sliding window, speaker, fin, etc. have read thousand of other ram owners experiencing the same problem. Other than the pending class action is there any other recourse?

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
@RamCares is there anything being done to rectify this. I have a 2019 ram 1500 5th Gen and I am experience leaking in the rear vehicle near the sliding window, speaker, fin, etc. have read thousand of other ram owners experiencing the same problem. Other than the pending class action is there any other recourse?

Hello,

Thank you for expressing your concern with us regarding the water leakage. Please send our team a PM with your VIN and mileage, we will get this checked out further for you.

William
Ram Cares

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year

There is a pending class action law suit for water leakage?

Explorer682

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@RamCares is there anything being done to rectify this. I have a 2019 ram 1500 5th Gen and I am experience leaking in the rear vehicle near the sliding window, speaker, fin, etc. have read thousand of other ram owners experiencing the same problem. Other than the pending class action is there any other recourse? I just received a notice in the mail for my 2019 stating the warranty period has been extended to 10years for this issue.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Since your truck is outside the basic warranty your only recourse is to go talk to a dealership or push through RAM corporate customer service. If you are not that far out of warranty there might be some leniency. If you have the leak documented during the basic warranty period you have a foot in the door; if not you will have to ask nicely if you have any chance of getting anywhere.

If you have an extended ESP (warranty) then it might be covered depending on the location (window frame is not covered).

I looked up the class action suit. Glad there is a collective voice about the issue but it seems fueled by emotion more than facts. I thought about adding into the plaintiff pile but there are some generic statements for dramatic effect that are not technically accurate (which is fodder for the FCA lawyers). Even those that did get their leak(s) repaired under warranty by FCA, FCA did not cover cosmetic restoration (new headliner, mold/mildew abatement ,etc.) so there's a lot of ire amongst those of us that had leaks. Luckily, I caught mine before any major issues (I am very sensitive to water intrusion as I am allergic to mold).

As always, though, the answer is always "no" unless you ask. If someone else is willing to put in the time/money then others will jump in. I hear it's up to 600+ plus. The down side is that FCA will probably be able to discount the cracked rear window issue (seems to be a majority of what I've read over the years - which is what I had) since that's a supplier issue and they did not make that part, just installed it. I have not read many rear window seal problems, mostly cracked window frames and shark fin/3rd brake light housing seal issues.

Last edited:

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
the ten year extension is for center high mount stop lamp i got the letter 10 years or 240,000 klm

RD Holland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I received the letter about the extended warranty (luckily?) after I noticed the water coming in at the top area of the rear window. I was thinking about just ordering the center high mounted stop lamp gasket and putting it on. Instead I called the dealer and told them I have a leak and mentioned the letter. They scheduled me service for this morning which was about two weeks from when I called the dealer.

I drove into dealership today (Monday) and was told that their "leak people" come in on Thursday or Friday and I needed to call an make an appointment. I balked at that since I would be calling the same number and talking to the same person. The service rep said he could make the appointment after suggesting I don't leave the truck there for three days. He made an appointment for Dec. 28. I asked why they didn't just put the gasket on. This is where it gets worrisome. There are "lots of leak causes" and they have to determine if it is the CHMSL or perhaps the window itself or who knows what else. The truck is a 2019 and is out of warranty. Do I trust RAM (or the dealership actually) to do the warranty repair or to find "another cause" such as the rear window which he mentioned could be the cause. Apparently they don't even keep the gasket as he said they have to determine the cause, then order parts.

After calling and mentioning the letter and said I needed that fix, I assumed when they made the appointment I would just drive in, they would pop in the gasket and that would be that.

I have read about this leak on this forum and have been keeping an eye out for it. I have also noticed that as it has gotten colder it seems to be more of a leak. Maybe that indicates the gasket? Wish I had bookmarked where I saw a link to order the gasket!

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had received that same letter not too long ago but I don’t think it’s leaking for me because I don’t see any water marks around that area

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
A water leak could be from the antenna, 3rd brake light or the rear glass frame. The dealer needs to spray water in each area to determine where the leak is before your truck is covered under the warranty (if the leak found is covered under warranty).

- I've heard the rear window frame is consider glass and glass is not covered under the Mopar extended warranty.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
The rear window is one unit so you cannot replace just the frame. Since you are technically replacing the glass as well (even though it is not damaged or the cause) it is considered "glass replacement" under any extended service plan, even Mopar's. Unfortunately there aren't any sub-categories or exceptions for what is actually damaged or how the assembly is constructed.

While it is crappy that the chips don't fall in our favor for the rear window it is understandable in the grand scheme. If ESPs covered items that were susceptible to wear, age, and life in general, then they would be far more expensive.