Rebate question - On the lot or ordering a truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Guys, i've been asking a bunch of questions lately and I thank all of you for your help.

I've got a local dealer that just through email, has taken a 2015 $47.5 sport down to $40k. They said if i stop in and show i'm serious, they can go lower and get more aggressive on my trade. So heres my situation......

The truck on the lot is gloss black and with the new brilliant black coming out, i am heavily leaning towards that one. My question has to do with rebates and negotiated prices.

I was thinking of keeping my mouth shut in regards to wanting the Brilliant Black Pearl and negotiating the price to what i want on the gloss black model. So long as i get the price down to what i want, i was going to turn around and say i saw the new Brilliant Black and back out of the deal.......then, hopefully have them order the same build truck as long as the price stays the same..... heres what i'm hoping some of you guys can help me with.......

1) I read that Chrysler will give you all the rebates available at the time of order unless the reabtes get better at time of delivery. If they get better at delivery, then you can actually get more off. If they get worse, you get to keep the better ones at order time True or not?

My silverado that i purchased in 2010 was the other way around. If rebates went down at time of delivery, i lost money on the deal and had to pay up. If they went up, i would get more off the price. Subsequently i took a truck off the lot.

2) Any idea if a dealer would realistically give me the same price on the "ordered truck" VS the deal we negotiate on the "on the lot truck".

I'm just curious if others have gotten as much ( i want $10k+ off the sticker of the sport and full NADA/KBB value on my trade ) off the ordered truck as they would have on the "on the lot truck".

Thanks for all the help guys !!!!!!

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Guys, i've been asking a bunch of questions lately and I thank all of you for your help.

I've got a local dealer that just through email, has taken a 2015 $47.5 sport down to $40k. They said if i stop in and show i'm serious, they can go lower and get more aggressive on my trade. So heres my situation......

The truck on the lot is gloss black and with the new brilliant black coming out, i am heavily leaning towards that one. My question has to do with rebates and negotiated prices.

I was thinking of keeping my mouth shut in regards to wanting the Brilliant Black Pearl and negotiating the price to what i want on the gloss black model. So long as i get the price down to what i want, i was going to turn around and say i saw the new Brilliant Black and back out of the deal.......then, hopefully have them order the same build truck as long as the price stays the same..... heres what i'm hoping some of you guys can help me with.......

1) I read that Chrysler will give you all the rebates available at the time of order unless the reabtes get better at time of delivery. If they get better at delivery, then you can actually get more off. If they get worse, you get to keep the better ones at order time True or not?

My silverado that i purchased in 2010 was the other way around. If rebates went down at time of delivery, i lost money on the deal and had to pay up. If they went up, i would get more off the price. Subsequently i took a truck off the lot.

2) Any idea if a dealer would realistically give me the same price on the "ordered truck" VS the deal we negotiate on the "on the lot truck".

I'm just curious if others have gotten as much ( i want $10k+ off the sticker of the sport and full NADA/KBB value on my trade ) off the ordered truck as they would have on the "on the lot truck".

Thanks for all the help guys !!!!!!
A few variables come into play.
1)Is the dealer a large volume dealer? Usually better discount exist at larger dealerships.
2) End of the month dealers are better.
3) March is usually ram truck month, possibly an additional rebate offerred.
4) End of the quarter is better.
5) Sign up for treadlighty 30 days before purchase to get 1% below invoice price.
6)Holdback is 3% of price.

Try to deal with email first to iron out the details. If the get you into the dealership they try to get you hooked.

Negotiate price of truck first, don't mention trade at all.

Don't be afraid to walk away, it's your money.

OP
OP
N

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A few variables come into play.
1)Is the dealer a large volume dealer? Usually better discount exist at larger dealerships.
2) End of the month dealers are better.
3) March is usually ram truck month, possibly an additional rebate offerred.
4) End of the quarter is better.
5) Sign up for treadlighty 30 days before purchase to get 1% below invoice price.
6)Holdback is 3% of price.

Try to deal with email first to iron out the details. If the get you into the dealership they try to get you hooked.

Negotiate price of truck first, don't mention trade at all.

Don't be afraid to walk away, it's your money.

Hey my man !!! I'm from Long Island too........ any idea who the large volume guys are out here? I Live out near Riverhead ( east end of LI where the LIE ends ). I just started talking to Riverhead Dodge and as far as visual size, they are not a high volume dealer.

Where did you get your 2013 and what was your sticker vs negotiated price before tax title and all that? Did you have a trade and how did they treat vs the trades book value?

I'm all ears........ :favorites13:

jlewis74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The rebates will be applied that are there when the truck hits the ground, no way for them to know what the rebates will be when you order it.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
when i bought mine last year they did all the rebates when i ordered my truck and thats the price i kept. we did all the pricing, payments, rate, rebates, etc. i gave them a deposit and truck was built. I was gauranteed the rebates. I am even looking for a new truck now. They told me the same . the rebates are gauranteed but that $500 one is not (cause its march for the truck month or whatever). idk, rebates can change but, i think if they get better u will get them too. See my post here

The rebates will be applied that are there when the truck hits the ground, no way for them to know what the rebates will be when you order it.

Last edited:

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'm a serious buyer and asked this same question. I was told by the dealer that you get the lowest rebate offered whether it was when you placed the order or when you take delivery. Apparently, you are not stuck with one or the other. Lowest avail offered during the whole process of ordering through driving off the lot, so to speak.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am also in ny and was trying to get a 50k msrp big horn 3500 down to 40 and its not happening around here.Lowest is 43 so far. Try the fleet manager at the dealership. Ny sucks!

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes that's how it works. At least that's how it works here.

I'm a serious buyer and asked this same question. I was told by the dealer that you get the lowest rebate offered whether it was when you placed the order or when you take delivery. Apparently, you are not stuck with one or the other. Lowest avail offered during the whole process of ordering through driving off the lot, so to speak.

The Crow 1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L w/8 Speed Trans.

If you get a dealer that wants to sell trucks, this should be the offer. It's not the case all the time as it is "supposed" to be upon delivery of your new truck. I went to 3 different dealerships when I bought my truck. 2 of them would not guarantee me the current rebates. 1 of them did. Needless to say, I bought my truck from the 1 place that would guarantee me whichever rebates ended up being better. I will say they are one of the largest volume dealers in the area and didn't want to miss out on a guaranteed sale over factory rebates.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey my man !!! I'm from Long Island too........ any idea who the large volume guys are out here? I Live out near Riverhead ( east end of LI where the LIE ends ). I just started talking to Riverhead Dodge and as far as visual size, they are not a high volume dealer.

Where did you get your 2013 and what was your sticker vs negotiated price before tax title and all that? Did you have a trade and how did they treat vs the trades book value?

I'm all ears........ :favorites13:
I think Brown's and Atlantic are the bigger dealerships on Long Island. I did buy front Brown's, but they get the truck for me from Merrick because Brown's had nothing I liked left on their lot. To be honest I don't think we can get the same deals on trucks as others do because we live in NY.

ohiogrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 CCSB, 2011 ccsb, 2012 5500, 2016 5500, 2017 ccsb wxpress
Engine
4.7, 4.7, 6.7, 6.7, 5.7
I think Brown's and Atlantic are the bigger dealerships on Long Island. I did buy front Brown's, but they get the truck for me from Merrick because Brown's had nothing I liked left on their lot. To be honest I don't think we can get the same deals on trucks as others do because we live in NY.

Solution- go somewhere else. I wouldn't be at all afraid to drive a couple states over to save $3-5K. Make a weekend of it, eat some out of town pizza, get your beautiful new truck, call it a road trip.