Regretting ordering 3.92 on my 22 Ram Ecodiesel and almost debating paying to downgrade to 3.21

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Has anyone suggested simply running taller tires yet?
I thought of this, too, but there could be downsides to this approach as well.

Larger diameter tires will likely be heavier, possibly offsetting any gain, as well as increased rolling resistance. Taller tires would also lift the body further into the slip stream.

The resale value concern surprises me. I've never heard any of the diesel boys around here mention it.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 3 June 2018. Now at 74702 miles

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven’t read all the posts. Apologize if it’s been mentioned but maybe someone with a 3.21 would desire a trade to the 3.92. I ordered and will keep my 3.21’s for light towing and better mileage but I’m sure someone out there has the wrong gear in the other direction as these trucks age and more used ones exist. Not enough difference to buy a new rear end in my opinion.

OP
OP
A

aj_g

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3rd Gen Ecodiesel
You have done yourself a grave misservice. This is one of the absolute best threads on this forum of all time. Invent your own drinking game and tuck in.
Honestly I couldn't have asked for more from a first post on a Ram forum lmao

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Honestly I couldn't have asked for more from a first post on a Ram forum lmao
If you were closer i have a complete set of low milege (7,000kms/roughly 3500miles) front and rear 3.21 diffs i'm trying to sell.But shipping them from Alberta to California would probably rule them out for you.

drmoreau

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My last ram had the 3.92 gears and my current ram has the 3.21. I’ve contemplated going the other way. The difference in daily drive ability is very great in my opinion. I’d never opt for the 3.21s again. I thought it wouldn’t matter much when I bought it but I was wrong.
But you have a gasser and he is driving a diesel. The torque curves are far different. The diesel makes a lot of torque at low RPMs, while a gas engine might have to get up to 3000+ rpm to hit the torque sweet spot. I have a 2020 ecodiesel, and it has a far different power curve (butt dyno) than my previous 2021 1500 3.6 gasser. I tow a fair bit and the diesel is the way to go. Not towing at 70 mph on flat ground I get about 29 mpg.