Remote start question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
My OEM remote start kit is getting dropped off today. I want to install it myself and I have a buddy that works at a dealer that will add XBM sales code for me. My question is can I start and drove the truck once I get everything installed even though the sales code isn't added yet?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
No, the keys need to be programmed to the truck /module

Sent From My HTC ONE MAX

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
So it won't start at all with the old keys?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It shouldn't. Mine didn't. Everything will work but won't crank. I had everything installed, left the module hanging below the dash so all the dealership had to do is drop the lower dash cover, unplug the old and plug the new one in and program it. I had added the sales code when I added factory fogs.

Sent From My HTC ONE MAX

OP
OP
Jared4.7

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
He offered to install and program the whole getup for $100 bucks. But um just particular about my stuff. Maybe I'll just pay him to do it.

Jarhead57

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 4x4 CC Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It shouldn't. Mine didn't. Everything will work but won't crank. I had everything installed, left the module hanging below the dash so all the dealership had to do is drop the lower dash cover, unplug the old and plug the new one in and program it. I had added the sales code when I added factory fogs.

Sent From My HTC ONE MAX

What is involved in installation of the OEM kit? dealer told me it would take them about three hours.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Took about 30 minutes to install a majority of it. Remove grill, swap stock hood latch with the one that came with the kit. Now if you have never had to access and install factory wiring in one of these trucks than this part will be nerve racking and slow you down. Push in the 4 snaps holding the tipm in place and lift up. It will only lift up 3-4". Find the right plug, unplug, separate plug according to the directions. Insert the new wiring. (you may have to remove a wire but it will not affect anything, the directions are step by step) put back together, plug back in. Inside the truck you can remove the upper glove box or access it from behind the radio. I couldn't find the exact spot the directions tell you to place it but as long as you have enough wire from the wireless module to the new key module you're good. This is where the dealership will have to take over. They will have to install the new module and add the sales code and program the keys to the truck. That part should take 15-20 minutes deposit on the tech.

Sent From My HTC ONE MAX