Removal of chrome accents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cloviz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know how to do this? The chrome accents on the door, center console storage thing, and around the vents. As well as the other bits and pieces.

Ram2014R/T

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram r/t
Engine
Does anyone know how to do this? The chrome accents on the door, center console storage thing, and around the vents. As well as the other bits and pieces.

find A local shop that will hydro dip them. I did with mine a flat black and them came out great

OutLore

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The ones on the door are "plastic welded" to the door - you'll need to take the entire interior door panel off, remove the plastic weld tab on the back, then when you put it back on you'll need to glue it or something.

The chrome trim around the vents should pull out - you have to click the tabs which hold it into the dash. Same for the chrome ring around the shifter.

There's a write up on it somewhere - I remember seeing it a year or so ago.

Once they're off, painting or vinyl wrapping is probably the cheapest DIY option - hydro dipping is another, but not as easy to do at home (if at all).

The above applies to 2009 - 2012. Not 100% sure on the 2013, I would imagine it's relatively similar.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The trim around the vents (outside - next to doors) will pop off.

Driver's side - You have to reach up from under the dash and get your hand behind the vent to release the tabs. It's kind of a pain to do, but it is doable. It takes a little more effort than you'd expect to get the tabs to release.

Passenger side - Take out the glove box and you can have access to the vent that way. It's a little easier to get to. I started on this side to get a feel for the tabs behind the vent, then did the driver side.

Trim on console - This will pry up pretty easy. If you can get your finger nail under the trim, you can pry it up (gently). You might have to use something flat to get under it and get it started. I want to say there are 5 or 6 tabs that need to be released in order for it to come off. It really isn't that hard to do.

I painted mine with rattle can. Light first coat, then applied heavier coats. I think I did 3 or 4 coats of color. I was going to do a couple of coats of clear, but ran out of time. I may eventually redo them with a light sanding, respray, then clear coat. But, they are holding up pretty good after 6 months or so.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The trim around the vents (outside - next to doors) will pop off.

Driver's side - You have to reach up from under the dash and get your hand behind the vent to release the tabs. It's kind of a pain to do, but it is doable. It takes a little more effort than you'd expect to get the tabs to release.

Passenger side - Take out the glove box and you can have access to the vent that way. It's a little easier to get to. I started on this side to get a feel for the tabs behind the vent, then did the driver side.

Trim on console - This will pry up pretty easy. If you can get your finger nail under the trim, you can pry it up (gently). You might have to use something flat to get under it and get it started. I want to say there are 5 or 6 tabs that need to be released in order for it to come off. It really isn't that hard to do.

I painted mine with rattle can. Light first coat, then applied heavier coats. I think I did 3 or 4 coats of color. I was going to do a couple of coats of clear, but ran out of time. I may eventually redo them with a light sanding, respray, then clear coat. But, they are holding up pretty good after 6 months or so.

Any pics of them installed?

Basham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 &2015
Engine
4.7 & 3.6
I removed all the trim interior/exterior and hydro dipped at home with no previous experience with a kit from mydipkit.com. I got the smallest kit available and it was plenty of material. Even with a couple of redos.

12191004_10205171194704749_1028410449417724243_n.jpg

12095278_10205112576919341_3643709960749078299_o.jpg

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any Idea on how to get the little chrome rings off the knobs? Your dash looks kick ass too.
Unfortunately, I have no idea. Not sure if they can even be taken off. I still want to do the small trim piece on the center console, but it's a permanent piece also, and I don't want to have to worry about taping it off.

Thanks for the compliment! I appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BINGA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How about the fake wood trim inserts on the doors? Anyone know how to remove those?

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a couple. Don't have any pics of them out of the truck, or the process of taking them out, unfortunately. View attachment 64072View attachment 64073View attachment 64074

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

View attachment 64072

View attachment 64073

View attachment 64074
Anyone know the part number for the rings that are around the vents? The orange ones in the pics in this post. I have a 2018 2500 Tradesman, I’ve changed everything out to the bright silver ( steering wheel, center console and radio bezel) but those are still the dark grey in my truck. I’d like to order the silver ones.