Remove chrome door handle plates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BucFan1224

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
My truck has factory chrome plastic plate clipped into the door handle with the rest being the body color. I am not a huge fan of chrome and want to replace that plate with either black or body color with out having to buy all new handles.

Also has anyone tired to take them off to paint them before? Just from looking at it really quick the other day i think its only held in with 2 small tabs.

Kevin Thurber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
i was looking this up today because i want to paint mine as well. from what ive been reading on various forums, the back of the cover has those 2 tabs, The front is held on by a bolt you cant get to, even if you take the entire handle off the truck. Looks like we are going to have to mask everything off and paint it on the truck :/

DsrtRat08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to Replace all four complete door handles. For body color they come painted from Mopar. Price varies with color and if you have the keyless go system. Including shipping mine would have cost around $260 from allmoparparts.com. I ended up going for the all black textured finish. I paid $86 from 1A auto ( a vendor on this forum) for whatever aftermarket brand they have. I should have paid a little more for the Mopar OEM handles which they also had in stock. The plastic pins that go into the door were not quite lined up and I had to trim all for of them and honestly swapping out the door handles is not a fun job but the end result looks great.

Austin1904

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have found a way to remove just the cover piece. You still have to take the whole door apart but once you have done this you pry on the side that has the tabs until it pops out then on the back side of the handle assembly you will see 2 small circles. If you drill a 3/32 just below that you will get the 2 torx screws they are T8. Loosen those and it will come right off.