Remove resonators or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
On previous year Rams putting a Flowmaster 50 HD was all i needed to do to get the truck to sound good too me.

But this 2020 has a resonator before the muffler and one near each tip.

I search the forums to see if there’s a consensus about taking the resonators off but some say do not do it many say to do it.

Anyone done it recently and are happy?

Thanks.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I removed the resonators that are by the tips. Now the truck sounds like the 2016 did. A little rumble but not above med aggressive.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
On my 2015, I just added 5" tips, made a small, yet aggressive change, sounded good, kept resonators.

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I guess the 2019 frwd have a resonator before the muffler.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Everytime the pipe diameter changes, it changes the " exhaust escape velocity". I.e. resonator, muffler etc.

Better EEV = better performance/sound
Less resonators/restrictions = better EEV

The more consistent the diameter, the better. That being said, wider isnt always better. You may have bettet EEV at 3in than at 3.5in

Its alot of craziness but something to keep in mind

If someone mentions "back pressure" just tune them out.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
LOL

you don't need back pressure going downhill or across the flats

That only leaves uphill, where you need power more than speed, that is where back pressure comes in play

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Honestly it has med volume now. No aggressive volume or raspiness that i read about. But i am using a FM 50 Delta Flow. Other posters might of been talking about complete muffler delete.

Fun thing about trying to get a consensus reading posts is you wont ever get one. But you sometimes learn stuff down the rabbit hole

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
LOL

you don't need back pressure going downhill or across the flats

That only leaves uphill, where you need power more than speed, that is where back pressure comes in play

Back pressure = power is a myth.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport

hemi-ram2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram Laramie hemi CrewCab
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2021 CC has no resonator before muffler???? Thanks

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My 2020 does. I am content with the sound but i may consider a FM 44 in the future 8C356A20-4251-4A0B-A4E2-A30D93AF8607.jpeg

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven’t done it to my new truck but on my old 08 before I tuned it with a Diablo sport trinity tuner and turned off the mds completely, the resonator on the factory tailpipe with a little muffler shop-special glass pack actually made the MDS sound a lot more pronounced like the sound of a helicopter and when I deleted the resonator, the exhaust was louder with the same muffler but the MDS sound wasn’t as noticeable, if that makes any sense.

Being that I have no interest in programming my 18 because of the locked PCM ********, my Carven Progressive doesn’t really amplify the MDS at all so I’m really not sure what the effect would be if I deleted the resonator off each of the two tailpipes. It’s loud enough as it is and I really like that my MDS doesn’t **** with my exhaust note.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason people feel like the engine falls on its face after straight piping is because it now needs a tune.

That article you linked is just a way to get straight pipe noise and some MacGyver ingenuity to avoid getting a tune

This guy explains it better than i ever could

So then what exactly is this guy trying to say, that taking a factory muffler off and either replacing it with straight pipe or a more performance muffler is actually doing better for your engine? Like with the case of my truck, I really can’t tell at all if the Carven Progressive I put on feels like it actually made my truck not pull as good as opposed to the factory muffler, or not. Of course, my truck was barely a year old as well when I pulled the factory muffler off so if I was to put my factory muffler back on, I’m not sure if I would notice any power increase or not. And even with my older 08, it felt the same no matter what whether it was just a muffler delete with an 18” glass pack, deleted tailpipe resonator shortly after. Later on when I had the muffler shop cut all that off and actually put on a single inlet, dual outlet thrush muffler with dual 2-1/4” tail pipes, the sound was virtually the same except a little deeper toned but not long after doing that was when I bought the tuner, programmed to the performance 91 octane tune and shut off the MDS completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RoadKing

RoadKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Bighorn
Engine
HEMI 5.7
If I get on it a little bit in town it’s got enough growl that I like it, but it’s not super impressive. Just barely hits the spot. In a few days I’m gonna do a few hundred mile highway road trip. I’ll see what I think about cabin drone. I might put a louder Flowmaster 44 on it.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
i saw a video on the mustangs active exhaust and the baffle would close on the low end for tq then open as the rpms increased for hp- its not backpressure its exhaust velocity

Musky Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
I put on the 5" Carven tips, no change in exhaust sound. I removed the front resonator, no change in sound, that I could tell and no drone.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If I get on it a little bit in town it’s got enough growl that I like it, but it’s not super impressive. Just barely hits the spot. In a few days I’m gonna do a few hundred mile highway road trip. I’ll see what I think about cabin drone. I might put a louder Flowmaster 44 on it.
I have a 2020 Hemi E-torque and all I did was put on a flow master 44 and it sounds great!

HANSOME

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500
Engine
My 2020 Ram 1500 Hemi - I installed a Flowmaster, and the sound is now WAY better. Performance? ahhh, maybe a little better. Then, about a week later I installed some Carven 5" tips. Changed the sound a bit, added some depth to the tone, and I am happy with the sound and performance. I did not touch the resonators, as I am happy with the sound for now, and I was informed that removing them could add drone and make the pipes a lot louder. I was also told that if I removed the resonators and added cherry bombs, or similar glass pacs, the drone would not happen and the pipes would be only slightly louder. But like I said, I am happy for now.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 12 is ***** from the cats back. No issues at all up hill, down hill, straight line, and doesnt need a tune. I love the sound and it did pick up a few ponies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500