Replacement Tires..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all
I own a 2016 RAM 1500 Lonestar 2WD 5.7 HEMI, I will be needing a new set of tires in the not too far future, even though there might be threads already asking what would be the best tires for the price and so on and so forth. I have noticed that people have ask those persons asking for more information so they could give a better answer. This is my detailed info on the matter. My current tires are 275/60R20 Goodyear (I do not recall the model) stock, on stock wheels, not leveled nor lifted or lowered. I am thinking on lift it about 2" or 4", depending whether or not I will fit in the covered parking garage where I work (I would not like to have to park under the sun because I lifted it too much). Also I might want to put spacers on it (not too sure about this part yet) I am not an avid mudder?, nor I do any off-road activities, I might tow in the future. All this being said, I ask, what would be your choice? I have read other threads mentioning the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 or the General HTS60.

Last edited:

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Check out milestar. Half the price of the major names and amazing reviews. I'm going with the patagonia m/t

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out milestar. Half the price of the major names and amazing reviews. I'm going with the patagonia m/t

Hi
I also heard someone that mentioned that Brand and model....definitely will check it out!

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont take my word for it. This is the review that sold me sight unseen.

Wow, that was a nice review, I found them but they are 65 instead of 60, that should not be a problem, since the difference in height shouldn't be an issue..

Last edited:

theamazingkuskus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re not doing any mudding or off-roading, there’s no sense getting a ten ply or heavy lugged mud tire like the Nittos. I recently got the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 for my truck in 285/70R17 and they are fantastic. Not too much road noise, only a 4 ply tire like the stock tires and they receive the snowflake for winter driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you’re not doing any mudding or off-roading, there’s no sense getting a ten ply or heavy lugged mud tire like the Nittos. I recently got the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 for my truck in 285/70R17 and they are fantastic. Not too much road noise, only a 4 ply tire like the stock tires and they receive the snowflake for winter driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks !!! Will definitely check those out too, I only mentioned the Nittos, as they came up in that thread quite often..

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 or the General HTS60.

Those are both excellent products. Don't over think it, the Terra Grappler is an all-terrain but it's a fairly mild one so it produces no appreciable road noise and doesn't make any on-road compromises to benefit mud performance. General is Continental's light truck brand, also a premium product and the HTS60 is an all-season tire that's going to be essentially silent on the highway but still work fine if you're going to spend some time on dirt roads or snow that's not too deep. (well, snow's no concern in Miami)

I don't think you'd regret either one.

As you've seen, tire threads on any kind of automotive social media can go on endlessly with everyone sharing their favorites. I have my favorites too but to keep the noise down I'll just say you already have a couple good ones picked out, the HTS60 leans more toward highway efficiency and the Nittos lean more toward proficiency on dirt and both are good at everything in between.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Thanks !!! Will definitely check those out too, I only mentioned the Nittos, as they came up in that thread quite often..
Check out discount tires prices on the milestar. I've got an ex who works for a dodge dealer in oklahoma and she said a lot of her techs run them. I dont know if they make a lower ply tire but I'm sure they do. For me, you cant beat the price for how tough and grippy they are

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Those are both excellent products. Don't over think it, the Terra Grappler is an all-terrain but it's a fairly mild one so it produces no appreciable road noise and doesn't make any on-road compromises to benefit mud performance. General is Continental's light truck brand, also a premium product and the HTS60 is an all-season tire that's going to be essentially silent on the highway but still work fine if you're going to spend some time on dirt roads or snow that's not too deep. (well, snow's no concern in Miami)

I don't think you'd regret either one.

As you've seen, tire threads on any kind of automotive social media can go on endlessly with everyone sharing their favorites. I have my favorites too but to keep the noise down I'll just say you already have a couple good ones picked out, the HTS60 leans more toward highway efficiency and the Nittos lean more toward proficiency on dirt and both are good at everything in between.
Thanks a lot for your input...I appreciate the comparison...and the basic explanation of the important facts..

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check out discount tires prices on the milestar. I've got an ex who works for a dodge dealer in oklahoma and she said a lot of her techs run them. I dont know if they make a lower ply tire but I'm sure they do. For me, you cant beat the price for how tough and grippy they are

Thanks !! Will look around...

Steve Cloud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you want the look/functionality of a/t tires without the noise on the highway, check out the Nitto Ridge Grapplers... love mine!

rd9QW3i.jpg

ULpjyZc.jpg

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can try Falken AT3W, they're not super expensive and they wear down very nicely under the 1500 weight.
This were 315/70/17 E rated on a 2.25" front lift. They wear down 1/32 every 5k miles, and in this size they come new at 19/32. They're on the heavy side at 74lbs though so if you want big tires you can expect some MPG drop.

45615561205_1e4ca10c25_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Also ran the same tire with the Rancho QL 2" front
42334323440_48a87ce83a_k.jpgUntitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Judy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on the truck?

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I have Terra Grappler G2. I like them for the driving I do up here in NY. Handled the snow pretty well here too. I tow a travel trailer and having the higher load rating helps along with it being an XL tire.

That being said, the HTS60's would probably do everything you need as far as replacing the Goodyears. They are a XL and have a higher load index then the Terra Grappler G2s if you are going to be towing (Load Index of 119=2998lbs vs. Goodyear Load Index of 114=2601lbs.).

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...65778&ef_id=XZ05IAAAAGxxBkzT:20191009030213:s

OP
OP
Heber Perez

Heber Perez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have Terra Grappler G2. I like them for the driving I do up here in NY. Handled the snow pretty well here too. I tow a travel trailer and having the higher load rating helps along with it being an XL tire.

That being said, the HTS60's would probably do everything you need as far as replacing the Goodyears. They are a XL and have a higher load index then the Terra Grappler G2s if you are going to be towing (Load Index of 119=2998lbs vs. Goodyear Load Index of 114=2601lbs.).

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...65778&ef_id=XZ05IAAAAGxxBkzT:20191009030213:s
First of all I want to thank you for your service. Also, thank you for your input and valuable piece of information. I have noticed that nobody has mentioned anything related to the lifting and widening ideas that I am playing with, is it safe to assume that none of these options that I have been given by you guys will interfere with those upgrade right?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have noticed that nobody has mentioned anything related to the lifting and widening ideas that I am playing with, is it safe to assume that none of these options that I have been given by you guys will interfere with those upgrade right?

The tire brand and model are only somewhat related to the lift, but you will need to figure out your lift height and a target tire size to accompany that, as well as how much height you can add and still fit where you park. Also take note on if there is a slope where you get into the parking structure so you can leave extra clearance and not risk your roof.

If you install a 2" lift it should be easy to run a 275/65r20 tire which is 34.1" diameter so your total height would be 2.5" taller, or you can probably do a 285/60r20 which is 33.5" diameter, maybe even 285/65r17 which is 34.6" . If your parking situation gives you room for an extra 3 inches height with room to spare you're in good shape.

But not every tire is available in every size, for example the general HTS60 is available in 275/65r20 but not 285. The Nitto tires are available in a lot of sizes. You might also find some sizes are more expensive than others if cost is a factor, like 35x12.50r20 is a pretty common size so you'll find more budget choices in that size than for example 295/60r20 even though that is a little smaller and "should" cost less just on raw materials.

Hope that helps. Kind of fun part of all this is we all have different weather and terrain and lifestyles so we have to take that into consideration when sharing experiences