Replacing ball joints on 03 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikesdaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hi Guys

I've owned a Dodge Ram since 2001. I current have a 2003 Ram 1500, 2wd, crew cab SLT with a 5.7L Hemi. I am new to this forum and will take care to abide by the rules.

I am going to replace my upper and lower ball joints. I'm not a huge DIYer, but I have changed my own brakes and rotors, cleared a dirty throttle/throttle body, and comparatively minor things like that.

There is a nice guy in town who has a DIY garage with a lift that I can use for $15 an hour, and he rents out special tools as needed. He also provides much needed guidance for the job. I'm a retired military guy, as is he, and he has a cool service. Before posting this, I did do a search on the forum to see if there were previous postings, and I did find a useful one.

My question is this: I bought a good kit off ebay that included the control arm and ball joint for upper, and the lower ball joints. It also includes the inner and outer tie rod ends. Since I'm already working on suspension, should I plan on changing the tie rod ends? I want to do it right. Is there anything else I should be concerned about looking at while it is in the air.

Many thanks for whatever help you can provide.

Ted

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do them, since you already have to remove them from the spindle you might as well. I dont know about the inner tie rods though, those I believe are quite a bit more difficult

toofart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 8 spd
If you have new parts and the truck has a lot of miles, why not change them out. As others have mentioned, you're in there, so why not.

Inner tie-rods are relatively easy -- do both inner and outer at the same time:

1. pop the outer tie-rod from the spindle. Don't touch the nut that holds the outer to the inner.
2. remove the clamps from the inner boot and slide it down.
3. unscrew the inner tie-rod from the steering end
4. on a bench, assemble a new inner+outer and match the length exactly as the old. Tighten the nut that locks the outer
5. Reassemble is reverse.

That will help preserve alignment as close as possible until you can get to an alignment shop.

OP
OP
M

mikesdaddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Pretty low miles

My dad gave me the truck several months ago. He used it primarily for towing, and I think that is why the suspension is shot. The truck has 76K miles on it and is all factory. His only add on was dual exhaust pipes. Toofart--thanks for the advice, and I will go ahead and change them. I'll also be checking the brake pads, etc.