Replacing Center console w/ one with cup holders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
(first post here)

I have 1997 Dodge 4x4 1500 that I inherited from my father. Engine still runs good, but the interrior is in some sad, SAD shape.

I've already replaced the entire dash. Well, kinda - I found a replacement 1 piece plastic that fits, but some of the metal framing under was also broken, so the plastic dash just kind of sits there in places. Still, it's better than being able to get to the radio wiring just by reaching over the top.

Which leads me to this - the pull-out cup holder is totally gone (the metal bracket that held it is one of the broken pieces). And honestly, even if I could find a replacement pull out for it (and fix the bracket), I'm not sure I really would want to as it was really picky about the size cups it would hold.

I was thinking of replacing the center console with one that had adjustable cup holders built-in. My gut tells me that replacing the entire console is a matter of unbolting the old one and bolting in a new one. But for the life of me, my google skills don't seem to be up to the task of finding one.

Advice?

Reactions: Mop
OP
OP
Chris Barnes

Chris Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I guess I should say that the front seat is a "40/20/40" design.

OP
OP
Chris Barnes

Chris Barnes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
This is the best solution by far. Best $50 I have spent on my truck and my dad just got one for his. It fits right in the front pockets of the console and hangs over the front resting on the center seat bottom.
https://www.genosgarage.com/product/cup-holder-9497/cup-holder

I have seen that before, but I was hoping for cup holders that were adjustable - ie. can open or close to hold both small cups as well as my 40 oz Yeti coffee mug. I've tried to put a tape measure on my Yeti, but I just can't tell if it will hold it securely.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I have seen that before, but I was hoping for cup holders that were adjustable - ie. can open or close to hold both small cups as well as my 40 oz Yeti coffee mug. I've tried to put a tape measure on my Yeti, but I just can't tell if it will hold it securely.

I had your console. Go to the junk yard and find a cupholder replacement. These days they don't make the type you are looking for. Most, you press the cup into rubber to fit.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Find an adjustable cup holder that has the side working that is broken on yours

The console can be disassembled & reassembled fairly easily

Mix and match parts to get a working adjustable cup holder
It won't be perfect, but it will work

Nealuss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
The cupholders on the console I linked are nice and deep. I put everything from 12oz cans to big gatorade bottles in mine and it holds them fine. My truck is lowered with stiff shocks too and it hasn't been a problem. I'm actually kind of bummed I have to ditch it soon when I install my floor shifter :D

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
You can take a center console seat from any truck you want and mount it to the current mounting bracket.

An Example. I have a 2006 chevy truck, but i installed a 2014 center console seat for the cup holders.

Chiefrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum V8
Anyone know anything about installing a 4th gen center console/armrest in the 2nd gen 40/20/40 seat? I saw a youtube video that suggested this, a console from a 2009 Ram that had nicely integrated factor cupholders. Haven't found much else on this, any here do this? Thanks!!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The problem is the size of the YETI cups & some other similar cups
You almost need a 4" plumbing adaptor to make something out of

1626741896093.png

Last edited: