Replacing Evaporator Core, Heater Core,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thaimex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello guys and Gals Once again,

Here in South Texas and for those who live way down south, u know the heat during the summers are crazy hot and the humidity really ends up killing you. SO u need a good ac in your vehicle. Well my brother(who has his own plumbing business) has 2 dodge ram trucks, a 2500 and a 3500 and those trucks are his workhorses. The 3500 is the one that he uses more than the 2500, as he has that one for backup. So the ac in my brothers 3500 wasnt working and he was sweating to the oldies(lol) in his truck during the time he was out there working.

Here i am letting u guys know that i replace the following parts in my brothers truck, this time is his 2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins diesel truck: Evaporator Core, Heater Core, heater hoses, Fan Clutch, recirculating door, fan blower motor and the blower motor resistor. this is the 3rd time i have done this and its keeps getting easier every time i do this. I have done this to my 2010 dodge ram 1500, to a 2012 dodge ram 2500 and now to a 2013 dodge ram 3500.
My brother took it to an ac mechanic and he ended up paying for a whole new AC Kit and the labor. And it still didn't improve at all. It kept doing the same thing. He took it to the dodge dealer and they told him that it was the fan clutch, the evaporator core and the recirculating door that were damage. The recirculating door was broken and wouldn't allow the air to come inside the cabin. Plus, the inside of the truck was not getting cold at all and the fan was not blowing air through the vents as powerful as it should. It felt like the ac fan didn't have any power at all and was barely blowing anything through the vents. We spoke and set up the so called appointment(Just joking) and i did the fan clutch at first. I replaced the fan clutch with a brand new one. On the old fan clutch, The wire that connect the fan clutch in the back was basically cut in two places and was not making contact at all. It was a simple fix and took me about 35-45 minutes to fix.
Then i started to tear down the inside of the truck to start to separate the dashboard. this work takes normally about 8-10 hours if u have never done this. But it took me about 6 hours since i have done this twice before. SO i already know what bolts and screws and nuts need to be removed, and what parts need to be removed. The only difference that this 2013 had than from my 2010 was that it had a the floor console on the middle of the floor. My 2010 1500 doesn't have the center console. Once i was able to remove everything, i was able to separate the dashboard away from the black AC box. I Had to get between the dashboard and ac box to remove the nuts and bolts that hold the ac box in place. then i had to go to the engine area and separate the heater hoses and the AC hoses that connect to the evaporator core and the heater core. When i was able to have everything removed and separated, the only thing was to remove the ac box out of the truck. If u look at the 2 pics where the dash is just separating from the box, u can see the white flap on top of the door(look towards the right side of the pics and to the right of the pics, u can barely see the white flap. That's your recirculating door. It was broken at the joint(left side of the door) where the actuator turns the door open and closed. So the actuator was just spinning and not grasping the door to open and close it. So i was able to replace that part. Once i opened the ac box apart, i was able to pull out the evaporator core out and the heater core. the heater core was just starting to leak and the evaporator core was clogged up. So i was able to replace both of those main parts. Once I replaced those parts, the rest was just putting things back together. I texted my brother to see how the truck was doing after he has had it for almost couple of weeks already. He said the truck was doing "Great." Now he wants me to do his front brakes. I said to him, " Bring it Bro." LOL. Thanks guys for reading my post. Any questions u may have, feel free to ask. Plus check out my other posts i have already posted here before.

OP
OP
T

thaimex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
6125D723-5289-4DBE-A901-1FC0794B208F.jpeg

Attachments

• 378A2800-5751-4E1D-9D17-5FD06D9AF1A0.jpeg
    378A2800-5751-4E1D-9D17-5FD06D9AF1A0.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 6C0AA5A3-A7DE-41A6-83D0-3DD5961D6FC0.jpeg
    6C0AA5A3-A7DE-41A6-83D0-3DD5961D6FC0.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 66
  • D653F6CA-6704-4044-959B-9261EF1847B5.jpeg
    D653F6CA-6704-4044-959B-9261EF1847B5.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 7C1E7F5A-9847-46A0-BDBE-E2AED04CD1C2.jpeg
    7C1E7F5A-9847-46A0-BDBE-E2AED04CD1C2.jpeg
    205.3 KB · Views: 77

Southern Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know what you mean about the summers, I live in south Louisiana. I definitely prefer the cool/cold.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What are you talking about??
Clutch fan wires ? Fan bolts onto clutch . Clutch bolts onto water pump . Water pump bolts on to engine block . I am trying to understand , any help?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thaimex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Clutch fan wires ? Fan bolts onto clutch . Clutch bolts onto water pump . Water pump bolts on to engine block . I am trying to understand , any help?
Fan clutch comes with its own wires, all U have to do with that is just connect it to the other connected that comes from the engine. I used a crescent wrench and a wrench to turn and hold the large nut the fan clutch has. The fan clutch separates itself from the fan. U don’t have to remove the fan on the 3500

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve been enlightened, just looked up diesel parts diagram.

Luckeylaredo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hello guys and Gals Once again,

Here in South Texas and for those who live way down south, u know the heat during the summers are crazy hot and the humidity really ends up killing you. SO u need a good ac in your vehicle. Well my brother(who has his own plumbing business) has 2 dodge ram trucks, a 2500 and a 3500 and those trucks are his workhorses. The 3500 is the one that he uses more than the 2500, as he has that one for backup. So the ac in my brothers 3500 wasnt working and he was sweating to the oldies(lol) in his truck during the time he was out there working.

Here i am letting u guys know that i replace the following parts in my brothers truck, this time is his 2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins diesel truck: Evaporator Core, Heater Core, heater hoses, Fan Clutch, recirculating door, fan blower motor and the blower motor resistor. this is the 3rd time i have done this and its keeps getting easier every time i do this. I have done this to my 2010 dodge ram 1500, to a 2012 dodge ram 2500 and now to a 2013 dodge ram 3500.
My brother took it to an ac mechanic and he ended up paying for a whole new AC Kit and the labor. And it still didn't improve at all. It kept doing the same thing. He took it to the dodge dealer and they told him that it was the fan clutch, the evaporator core and the recirculating door that were damage. The recirculating door was broken and wouldn't allow the air to come inside the cabin. Plus, the inside of the truck was not getting cold at all and the fan was not blowing air through the vents as powerful as it should. It felt like the ac fan didn't have any power at all and was barely blowing anything through the vents. We spoke and set up the so called appointment(Just joking) and i did the fan clutch at first. I replaced the fan clutch with a brand new one. On the old fan clutch, The wire that connect the fan clutch in the back was basically cut in two places and was not making contact at all. It was a simple fix and took me about 35-45 minutes to fix.
Then i started to tear down the inside of the truck to start to separate the dashboard. this work takes normally about 8-10 hours if u have never done this. But it took me about 6 hours since i have done this twice before. SO i already know what bolts and screws and nuts need to be removed, and what parts need to be removed. The only difference that this 2013 had than from my 2010 was that it had a the floor console on the middle of the floor. My 2010 1500 doesn't have the center console. Once i was able to remove everything, i was able to separate the dashboard away from the black AC box. I Had to get between the dashboard and ac box to remove the nuts and bolts that hold the ac box in place. then i had to go to the engine area and separate the heater hoses and the AC hoses that connect to the evaporator core and the heater core. When i was able to have everything removed and separated, the only thing was to remove the ac box out of the truck. If u look at the 2 pics where the dash is just separating from the box, u can see the white flap on top of the door(look towards the right side of the pics and to the right of the pics, u can barely see the white flap. That's your recirculating door. It was broken at the joint(left side of the door) where the actuator turns the door open and closed. So the actuator was just spinning and not grasping the door to open and close it. So i was able to replace that part. Once i opened the ac box apart, i was able to pull out the evaporator core out and the heater core. the heater core was just starting to leak and the evaporator core was clogged up. So i was able to replace both of those main parts. Once I replaced those parts, the rest was just putting things back together. I texted my brother to see how the truck was doing after he has had it for almost couple of weeks already. He said the truck was doing "Great." Now he wants me to do his front brakes. I said to him, " Bring it Bro." LOL. Thanks guys for reading my post. Any questions u may have, feel free to ask. Plus check out my other posts i have already posted here before.
I know what you mean about the heat in South Texas, I lived in Laredo for many many years. It was so hot down there the snakes even wore sombreros. At that time I only had a Ram 1500 with the Hemi. I recently traded it in for a 2500 with a Cummins Diesel. Im wondering what the average fuel milage people get in their diesels

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio