Roll up tonneau cover suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just traded my wife's durango for a 2022 ram 1500 limited. She wants a hard cover that is the roll up type, not a soft roll up. Any suggestions on brand and model to get? Thanks.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the roll-n-lock brand. Its a hard cover that retracts kinda like a garage door , and has a lock on it. Works great, looks good. Very pricey at $1900.
Mine is due tomorrow. Did you get the vinyl over aluminum, or all aluminum? I got the M series, which is vinyl over alum, for $1400.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many options for a hard cover roll top but I've been using a Roll-N-Lock M series on my last 2 trucks since 2008.

I chose it for cost, security, and ease of operation. In Canada, everything costs more than the USA and a Roll-N-Lock was hard to beat.

I wonder if they have sold out to RealTruck because their website has changed. The former company I've had many dealings with was in Florida, not sure about this new operation.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a peragon that folds and can be removed if need be. Had it for almost 3 years no issues

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a peragon that folds and can be removed if need be. Had it for almost 3 years no issues
Never liked the fold ones, as if you want to use "the whole" bed, I either have to remove it, or I "lose" my back window.
There are many options for a hard cover roll top but I've been using a Roll-N-Lock M series on my last 2 trucks since 2008.

I chose it for cost, security, and ease of operation. In Canada, everything costs more than the USA and a Roll-N-Lock was hard to beat.

I wonder if they have sold out to RealTruck because their website has changed. The former company I've had many dealings with was in Florida, not sure about this new operation.

Seems a few of them have been "integrated" under RealTruck. Seems like good people for a couple info requests I sent, and they are shipping the Roll-n-lock from AR to NC darn fast. I messaged a rep before I ordered last week, as I really wanted to get it in time for a trip this coming weekend, and she said going through her instead of just the website would help with warranty stuff "somehow", but it was quick, and painless. 1-2 biz days for "processing", 2-4 to ship, accounting for the weekend as during their "processing", and the holiday, she was dead on.

Confused on why it needed 1-2 days for an "in stock" item, but... whatever. It should be here tomorrow, so I can install it tomorrow night, and my commute to/from work friday will help confirm I didn't ***** anything before we head to FL for the weekend.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want one that you manually roll up, and don't lost any bed space, the Revolver x4s is absolutely rock solid. 99% waterproof, even in winter.

Another RealTruck product.

How secure is it and does it have any locking mechanism?

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks real similar to the Truxedo, which is aluminum slats, but the rail interface is velcro, with one little dinky PLASTIC tab ~half way down to "keep" the tonneau from being bent up along the sides.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It looks real similar to the Truxedo, which is aluminum slats, but the rail interface is velcro, with one little dinky PLASTIC tab ~half way down to "keep" the tonneau from being bent up along the sides.
Wrong.

Look at some videos, is my best way of explaining how it locks. The only place you could pry it open is from the centre of the tailgate (causing major damage). The slats are aluminum and the seals are rubber.... No velcro on it.

Additionally, I'm able to run a Adarac ladder rack on top. I'll try to post some pictures.

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be the (BOIRD) in the fly ointment. I did not do a roll type, tho, TBH, next time I will do a roll and lock. I have a full tonneau fiberglass painted to match body cover on MY 19. Not cheap either, just showing FYI.

IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0862.JPG

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be the (BOIRD) in the fly ointment. I did not do a roll type, tho, TBH, next time I will do a roll and lock. I have a full tonneau fiberglass painted to match body cover on MY 19. Not cheap either, just showing FYI.

View attachment 535611View attachment 535612
How do you use your bed for anything? Like, you have to literally remove the tonneau cover to carry anything taller than the bed walls?

I never understood this type of cover.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you use your bed for anything? Like, you have to literally remove the tonneau cover to carry anything taller than the bed walls?

I never understood this type of cover.
Very simple. For one, that cover is too BIG to move around one person. Also unwieldy, tho I can lift the weight. Real easy to take off and hang up on hooks, BUT, I am alone here, so just stays on. If I need to move anything bigger, I just do the alternate solution: If it is anything Bigger than what I can put in that trailer, gonna be too big for me anyway then I pay Delivery fee. TBH tho, next truck will have a roll n lock, if and when I get another ride. I just posted the above cover for the OP to see, not as a suggestion, just showing an alternative. (below WW 14 X 5 stock, bumper pull, electric brakes)

IMG_0418.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had the Mopar hard cover on my old truck,never again,as it was heavy and ackward to take on and off by yourself. The wife hated it,as she couldn't really see the back passenger side when she shoulder checked .

Attachments

• 024.JPG
    024.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 3

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For a hard roll up you can do the BAK X4s or do a hard retractable like the Retrax or Roll N Lock.

Please feel free to message and we can discuss options and pricing.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I looked at the BAK X4 but finally decided since my truck is garaged and some of the reviews did indicate some problems with them, I could buy two of the Truxedo Pro X15 covers over the life of the truck for the same price of the X4, and the X15 seems to have solid reviews for quality. I really like the convertible top-type material and low profile.

But if I were convinced I needed the security of a metal slat rolling top I probably would have got the X4.

IMG_1135.jpeg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The X4 was not a good cover which is why they made the X4s which solved the issues the X4 had. The X4s has been a great option since it has been released

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the Mopar hard cover on my old truck,never again,as it was heavy and ackward to take on and off by yourself. The wife hated it,as she couldn't really see the back passenger side when she shoulder checked .
I got you agree and disagree. In my case, what works for me. But on a future purchase, will go a slightly different route.