Rough idle running rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
98ramss/t

98ramss/t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I also replaced the pcv valve with one from the dealer. Could it be bad and causing these problems?

OP
OP
98ramss/t

98ramss/t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I tried completely resetting the pcm. I was told to try the "hard dump" method. Take the positive cable of the battery and touch the cable to the frame for 30 seconds. Then reconnect, turn key on, press gas pedal fully and depress 5 times, turn key off and start engine. It didnt make a difference tho. Still idling rough when in closed loop and bucking at low rpm.

I have 4 codes showing now. P0132 rich sensor 1, p0135 heater circuit malfunction, p0138 rich sensor 2, p0141 heater curcuit malfunction sensor 2.

I've replaced the precat 02 sensor twice now. Current one i got from the dodge dealer. I replaced the first sensor i bought because of the p0135 code but i checked the sensor after with an ohm meter and it had continuity. Could this be a wiring problem?

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Did you end up replacing the IAC? PVC isnt an issue. Oh a bad TPS will cause alot of your issues. Anything that measures /meters air into the engine i would find suspect

OP
OP
98ramss/t

98ramss/t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I havent replaced the iac. I would like verify if it is acting up before buying one. Does anyone know how to **** the iac? I also forgot to mention it seems to buck on lighter acceleration, i'd say under 2500 rpms. All the problems seems to happen in closed loop. Would a bad iac cause it to buck under light acceleration? Im going to recheck for vacuum leaks as well. Thanks

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
simple test disconnect the TPS and see if the idle improves. if so you have found the issue

Symptoms of a Defective Throttle Position Sensor
Following is a list of symptoms, either of or a combination of which, a car driver may experience because of a defective throttle position sensor:
•Bucking and jerking of the car.
•Idle surging of the car.
•Sudden stalling of the car engine.
•Hesitation while the driver of the car is trying to accelerate.
•Sudden surge in car's speed while driving on the highway.

OP
OP
98ramss/t

98ramss/t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
simple test disconnect the TPS and see if the idle improves. if so you have found the issue.

I just tried this. The idle did not improve, it made it idle worse. I'm checking again for vacuum leaks and i'm not finding any

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
did you end up replacing the iac? Pcv isnt an issue. Oh a bad tps will cause alot of your issues. Anything that measures /meters air into the engine i would find suspect

Fixed

Last edited:
OP
OP
98ramss/t

98ramss/t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I tried a smoke test. I can't find any leaks on the manifold. Its Getting dark though, gonna try again when its light out

OP
OP
98ramss/t

98ramss/t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I haven't figured out the problem. The truck has just been sitting. Only thing i'm sure of is that there aren't any vacuum leaks from what i can tell. I tried a smoke test and didn't see anything. I borrowed a scan tool that reads live data but I haven't gotten around to checking it out yet, i've been too busy. I should be able to check it out soon and i'll let everyone know what the scan tool says

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
If you don't have all the grounds working, it will go full rich. When you get this sorted out, I suggest changing the oil & filter, you may have contaminated the oil with raw fuel.

OP
OP
98ramss/t

98ramss/t

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I borrowed a live data scan tool, while running the ignition timing was jumping all over. What readings should i see for map sensor, tps, ignition timing, short and long term fuel trims and o2 sensors?