Running board mounting questions 2018 RAM 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Crew Cab 4x4 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Kinda stumped here. Just bought a Certified Preowned 2018 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, bone stock except for Truxedo tonneau and a fresh dealer Line-X in the bed.

Need running boards for the Mrs. and me - spry enough 60 somethings, but hoisting ourselves in via the grab handles will get old soon.

Several running board outfits have YouTube install videos, some of which say "just pop ours onto these studs under the truck" etc.

What studs? Not seeing diddly under driver or passenger side. What am I missing here? TIA

evanxrs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dont go through the headache of installing it your self.

Suggest paying a local shop or the dealer to do it.. wont take them more than 30 to 60 min..

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8
There is locations with holes pre drilled under the passenger and driver side. Very easy install. plenty of videos if you look it up. Good luck hope this helps4c23bc28e522b9115c54643f61d23a0f.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BlueGuyRedState
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
Derpity derp derp (quoting youngest daughter).

Missed the whole "fish the mounting bracket through the side panel holes" part that this video makes clear.

Now to see if my hot rod buddy has a lift I can borrow... thanks for the rapid responses all!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yep, there's bolt plates you fish through holes on the inside of the rocker panels. It is a pretty easy DIY install. I don't care for this mounting setup as you are asking for rust issues if you live in the rust belt.. The rocker panel metal is paper thin and the bolt plates grind through the paint. Plus there is flex every time you step on the running board.

OP
OP
BlueGuyRedState
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 V8
PoMansRam, is there a brand or model running board that you'd recommend?

Lived in Arizona many moons (MANY) ago so familiar (or was) with desert off roading gear from way way back. Looked at hard core rock sliders but $1000 prices way too much. This truck will be a tow vehicle for a small travel trailer in 2021 (T@B 320 CS once we find one) so mostly street/highway, but some National Forest/State Park fire roads likely too.

Frame mounted sounds great but I'm cheap cheap cheap - and retired too - so doing a butt ton of research first.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Any of the conventional make/models I know of mount to the inside of the rockers. I think it's same for all light trucks these days. My brother installed a pair of mail-order Oedro black coated aluminum running boards for his 2019 Ram 1500 classic. They've held up nice and look good still. They were super cheap like under $200 shipped. Everything is up in price now though.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Mopar ones have decent install and life span. You can find lower cost or more expensive aftermarket options, but you'll need to check reviews for longevity and install.

Lots of threads here with pictures to help you find ones you like.