SEALING A MULTIFUNCTIONAL TAILGATE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I want to keep dust out of my truck bed . I have the mtf tailgate. Dose anyone have any experience sealing this tailgate ? Is there a special rubber seal ?

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
They sell tailgate seals for Rams & just about any other truck
Many ppl go to a hardware store & find something they like

Read this, it is about tailgate seals

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
They sell tailgate seals for Rams & just about any other truck
Many ppl go to a hardware store & find something they like

Read this, it is about tailgate seals

That thread will only help the OP with sealing the traditional openings any tailgate has. The MFT has more than twice the "openings" to seal up. You are correct that he will probably need to find something that works on their own. I seriously doubt anyone makes anything specific to the MFT.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As i mentioned, a lot of owner just go to a hardware store
In my town, there is a rubber place, it is like a big warehouse
I have bought extruded rubber from them before, i need to find the place again. I have a project planned

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My brother-in-law has a F-150. Was at the dealer a while after he bought it. Complained that stuff under his tonneau cover got dirty, especially when it is raining.

Service manager told him that if he wanted things back there to stay clean and dry, he should have bought an Excursion. He was probably right...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My brother-in-law has a F-150. Was at the dealer a while after he bought it. Complained that stuff under his tonneau cover got dirty, especially when it is raining.

Service manager told him that if he wanted things back there to stay clean and dry, he should have bought an Excursion. He was probably right...
Ford still making those V-10 monsters? LOL...

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They still make them. I'm pretty sure the V10 is gone, probably have a 3.5 EcoBoost these days.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They still make them. I'm pretty sure the V10 is gone, probably have a 3.5 EcoBoost these days.

Where are they still making excursions? I remember them being made for 2-3 years and that was it, at least for the U.S.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would go to Home Depot & find some extruded rubber & give it a try

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
WTF does this have to do with the tailgate seal ?
Probably because your question had been answered? Off-topic for sure, but that's what generally happens in forums.

b-real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I could never get a regular tailgate to seal well (tried 2 different products) so I imagine it will be nearly impossible to get the mf tailgate to seal. The gaps around the tailgate vary in width so some spots wouldn’t make a seal, truck bed was lined and the seal didn’t like the texture and eventually fell off, etc.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I always liked the 7.3 ones. Best diesel for ever made.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
I live in the dustball of Texas. I took my factory Ford cover from my 2019 Platinum and it fits perfect on my Limited. I have no dust trouble coming in thru the tailgate.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I ordered both the Truxedo and the ISM seals. After looking at the two closely I installed the ISM, which says it is made in the States, and kept the other for a spare till I see how good the ISM holds up. Plus, I didn't do the lower edge so may need it for that.

The ISM went on very easy, even had the little alcohol patches included to clean the tailgate. One tip, on a Ram 2500, you can install the side pieces as one continuous strip by sliding it under the two rubber tailgate bumpers on each side. Makes a WAY slicker install than doing it in three pieces like the instructions tell you to. I also installed the seal with the little bulb like part just off the edge of where the gate meets the bed, to see if that will provide a superior seal. The normal install has that bulb part running right up the bed itself so the gate closes on it and presses it tight to the vertical bed rail. We shall see how long it sticks on there for.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I ordered both the Truxedo and the ISM seals. After looking at the two closely I installed the ISM, which says it is made in the States, and sent the other back. The ISM went on very easy, even had the little alcohol patches included to clean the tailgate. One tip, on a Ram 2500, you can install the side pideces as one continuous strip by sliding it under the two rubber tailgate bumpers on each side. Makes a WAY slicker install than doing it in three pieces like the instructions tell you to. We shall see how long it sticks on there for.
Pics?

Redfour5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put on a Tuxedo Truxsport inexpensive tonneau and it worked great but I did get some of this https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Bui...-Expandable-Foam-Weatherstrip-52052/311332303 to ensure a decent seal. It's easy. Put the tonneau on, open the bacc, look in and see the places where the light is coming in, plug em. This window seal expands to about an inch in a few minutes. In the front of my tonneau where it goes across the bed at the back of the cab, the OEM seal didn't come down to the truck. I just pulled it back a bit, put this right over the existing seal and it expanded and it is tight as a drum. That was my biggest area. I put some in the corners and one place on the back edge (in such a way that it is not a temporary fix but not likely a permanent one either. The stuff works great is designed for exterior windows so is extremely resistant to weather... I'm very happy with it although it's not cheap...

Summary It's almost impossible to get a 100% seal. I'd give it up regarding perfection. I get just a bit of moisture in the back IF I do the carwash or 75 mph in a hard rain. It's right around the back corners down at the bottom. No big deal, but you are not stopping dust, no way if you are truly picky about it.

If you do dirt roads, you will have dust in the back irrespective of the tail gate. I use a hose at home or a car wash. It works great takes almost no time.