shifter service message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69MoparMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7liter hemi
I just changed the battery in my 2017 RAM 4X4 5.7 hemi and the next day got a service shifter alarm? The truck is performing as it should, not stuck in park etc and shifts and runs great, not sure what to do about this? My next move is to disconnect the battery and let the PCM reset, any other suggestions? Thanks

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
It will not fix it. You will need the dealer to install a new shifter mechanism. Sometimes its a pin, but too damn common. Just had to have truck towed from another state. Shifter locks and will not work. Stellantis needs to get this kind of stuff fixed. It does not matter how good the truck is if you cannot move it.
It sure pissed me off. The only other problem was the push button start broke and the truck had to be towed in. Dealer said a cheap plastic part broke in it. Same thing happened to my brothers 2019 Bighorn.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting. What kind of shifter mechanism does your truck have (console/column/dial)? Do you know about what part they replaced?

OP, you might try unhooking the battery cables and tying the pos/neg cables together with a string or masking tape, for a couple hours (Not hooked up or touching the battery at all). That will drain the other modules in the vehicle.

detailer1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magunm 5.21. SMPI V8
Good evening, I have a 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI 5.7L and I am going through the same situation w/my car. The Service shifter is acting up which eventually carried over to the Park Sense indicator, the Engine light pop-up on the dashboard, etc. I read some posts where one gentleman said buying an AMG Battery and or replacing the valve body will do the work.
However, my car has been in the shop since September 23rd, 2022 and the tech's still cannot locate the problem. The brand new AMG Battery I bought, the car burnt it out cause of the heavy current draw. The Dealership do not know whats going on and there is not a recall on the part.

This coming Monday, I will be reaching back out to the shop and hope they will have some good news for me. I will come back to post to share my experience cause this has been a pain

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
It will not fix it. You will need the dealer to install a new shifter mechanism. Sometimes its a pin, but too damn common. Just had to have truck towed from another state. Shifter locks and will not work. Stellantis needs to get this kind of stuff fixed. It does not matter how good the truck is if you cannot move it.
It sure pissed me off. The only other problem was the push button start broke and the truck had to be towed in. Dealer said a cheap plastic part broke in it. Same thing happened to my brothers 2019 Bighorn.
Sounds like the same cheap plastic thingy that broke on my SRT8 Charger. Fortunately, I was able to jump online and see how to shift it with a flat head screw driver by just moving the cable very easily, and drive it home instead of leaving it at work. I replaced it myself instead of having dealership do it under warranty because I didn't want them digging into my console. It wasn't fun but I did it carefully. If we're basically talking about the same thing, the pink one is the plastic factory one and the metal one is the replacement.

Attachments

• lydo34h1krj51.jpg
    lydo34h1krj51.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 14

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Is it a Column Shift ?

If it is, there is a good chance that the part that the handle mounts into may have broken.
The wiring is close to it

detailer1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magunm 5.21. SMPI V8
Well, it's been a minute since my last post and I had a lot of activities dealing w/my vehicle. I just received my car back on March 22, 2023, where the dealership had my 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Limited Edition since September 2022. Initially, the problem was the Shifter but the tech said I needed to upgrade the software to reset the vehicle back to factory standards and they encouraged me to have serviced a "General Maintenance upgrade" which cost me roughly $3,400; which included rear & front differential fluid, transfer case replaced, software upgrade, oil change, coolant flush and fuel induction. I received the car and w/in 1 day the car didn't start, so I had it towed back to the dealership.
Now here is October, the Tech diagnose the car and said it was the alternator, the battery sensor and I needed a new battery. I proceeded on w/the brand new alternator, brand new AGM Battery and sensor. Got the car back, drove for 2 days and the car didn't start.
Had the car towed back to the dealership, received a New Tech, he read another diagnosis and now he said the Code read to replace the Wireless Control Module Receiver and RF Hub/Key Fob. Here is December cause the part was on backorder, received the car in January 2023, cause you know, holiday season, had the car for 2 days and the car broke down and now I am pissed.
Towed the car back to the dealership, and now I am dealing with a new Tech, 3rd. The Tech diagnose the vehicle and now the battery cell is dead, so now I exchange the battery, had the vehicle diagnosed and now the New 3rd Tech said the Code is the BCM Module & Gateway Module. Purchased the parts and I told the dealership to keep the car for about 2 weeks which they did for testing purposes.
The Tech kept the car, test it out and the car broke down on the tech. Now I am dealing w/the 4th Tech, cause the other Tech quit after the 1st diagnosis. The other option was to break down the dashboard and see if it is the Wire Harness. We went through a lot of talking and I wasn't convinced this will be the culprit and I had exhausted my funds and requested to have another Tech from another Dealership to weigh in on the matter.
Through multiple conversations and assessments, the 4th Tech finally discovered the issue was this circuit board on the left side of the driver dashboard. This piece held all the ignition wiring and there were burnt marks on the circuit board. The piece got ordered and the dealership kept the car for additional 2 weeks, dropping over 70 miles on the car to make sure this was it.
So after going through 4 Tech, A new alternator, Battery sensor, 2 AGM Batteries, Wireless Control Module Receiver, Key Fob, BCM, Gateway Module/RF Hub, 3 rental cars, 2 Tow trucks, not having a car for roughly 5 months, roughly spending $7,000 and massive headaches, that circuit board should have been the 1st thing replaced. It is going on a month and a week now since I have received my car back and it is doing fine. See attached pic of the piece that caused the Techs and myself a problem.

Attachments

• Car Pic #1.jpg
    Car Pic #1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 17