Should I go stage 1 cam on stock Internals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angrypooflinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Rebuilding My 6.4 L due to lifter failure.
I want to install a stage one cam. Do I have to replace or upgrade anything else? Everything is stock right now.

OP
OP
angrypooflinger

angrypooflinger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You should talk to the cam manufacturer or seller. There are plenty of cams that or designed to work with stock internals
I was thinking of going with compcams.i seen they have a kit that has lifters, valve springs, push rods, mds delete.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
You'd be fine with a Stage 1 on stock internals. Though you'd still want to confirm with the cam manufacturer the exact specifications on the cam. Typically stage 1 cam's are considered "Stock+". Basically they don't deviate on lobe separation angle from a stock cam, but incorporate maybe a little more lift and duration. Very little. Will work with stock heads and valve springs.

Now if that Comp Cam kit comes with everything you'll need then you would be fine. Since, yes, deleting MDS requires new springs, lifters, rods and phaser block.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You'd be fine with a Stage 1 on stock internals. Though you'd still want to confirm with the cam manufacturer the exact specifications on the cam. Typically stage 1 cam's are considered "Stock+". Basically they don't deviate on lobe separation angle from a stock cam, but incorporate maybe a little more lift and duration. Very little. Will work with stock heads and valve springs.

Now if that Comp Cam kit comes with everything you'll need then you would be fine. Since, yes, deleting MDS requires new springs, lifters, rods and phaser block.
Small /stage 1 style cams,don't usually require a spring swap /phazor limiter or lock-out,even if you delete MDS.But if you delete the MDS you should install the solenoid MDS delete plugs.I think you're thinking of a bigger cam that either limits or locks out the VVT ,which is differant from a MDS delete

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Small /stage 1 style cams,don't usually require a spring swap /phazor limiter or lock-out,even if you delete MDS.But if you delete the MDS you should install the solenoid MDS delete plugs.I think you're thinking of a bigger cam that either limits or locks out the VVT ,which is differant from a MDS delete
You're right. I was thinking of VVT delete. WOOPS!

But, yeah, solenoid deletes and lifters for sure.