Need help choosing a Cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCarr98Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 Magnum
Hello,

As the title reads need help choosing a cam. Currently, I noticed my tuck engine making a tick/tapping noise. After doing some research, everything came back as lifter failure. So I just thought if I have to replace the lifters might as well do the cam. I really don't understand how to choose a cam, but I know I want a stage4 cam. I'm not obsessed with over choppyness, but I do want something that sounds nice. When I pull apart the engine to replace the lifter I will also be replacing/upgrading the rocker arms, adding longer push rods,new valve springs, new high flow oil pump, and new timing chain. Side note I already have JBA headers and a custom duel exhaust with high flow cats. It also has resinators. Engine is a 5.9L 360 for a 1998 dodge ram 1500

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello,

As the title reads need help choosing a cam. Currently, I noticed my tuck engine making a tick/tapping noise. After doing some research, everything came back as lifter failure. So I just thought if I have to replace the lifters might as well do the cam. I really don't understand how to choose a cam, but I know I want a stage4 cam. I'm not obsessed with over choppyness, but I do want something that sounds nice. When I pull apart the engine to replace the lifter I will also be replacing/upgrading the rocker arms, adding longer push rods,new valve springs, new high flow oil pump, and new timing chain. Side note I already have JBA headers and a custom duel exhaust with high flow cats. It also has resinators. Engine is a 5.9L 360 for a 1998 dodge ram 1500
Stage 4 cam in a 5.9,you'll hate it,as you won't have any bottem end torque,and will probably need at least a 3600 to 4,000 rpm convertor and 4.56 gears.Be realistic ,and talk to a few of the cam outfits.I'd start with Ryan Hogan (FRP) as he's one of the few guys that used to specialize in tuning the early trucks.Lumpy idles suck when the truck won't get out of its own way.
BTW you're in the wrong section,this is for the 5th gen trucks,you want to be posting in the 2nd Gen section.Maybe a moderator will move it for you.