Side view mirror glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. Have a 2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi Quab Cab 4x4. After detailing it once this long terrible winter finally ended, I noticed a hairline crack in my passenger side side view mirror. I have heated, power folding, non tow mirrors. I thought it could have been the result of using the heated glass ALOT this winter to melt ice on the mirrors, similar thing happened to a 2017 Freightliner I drive for a living, so I brought it to the dealer. Of course they are saying it’s not covered even though the truck only has 28k on it because they feel it was the result of what they are referring to as “an outside influence.” I even called Ram Cares and they are sticking with that story. Just for giggles and ***** I asked them what do they mean by “an outside influence.” They couldn’t even answer me, just to repeat that the dealer states it was the result of “an outside influence.”

Anyway, to make a long story short, they are not covering it, so I gotta fix it myself. Has anybody ever changed out the mirror glass before and could lend some insight as to what I’m in for? Dealer quoted me $300 for just the part. That’s OEM with heat, tint and self dimming. I found a site 1aauto that has the mirror for under $100, but it’s just the mirror. Think it’s heated, but not tinted and definitely not auto dimming. Still on the fence about which route to go, although I’m sure it will be OEM because I really love this truck and don’t want to have mismatched side view mirrors, but any input as to how to actually swap it out would be greatly appreciated.

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
I replaced the 'big mirror' on my 2014 3500 tow mirrors w/one from eBay...They supposedly just 'pop off' - but it took a quite a bit of pulling and the old mirror actually broke before coming completely off...Just 'pop' the new one on...I'm sure there are videos on YouTube because that where I got my info...

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a replacement on Ebay and it was a MOPAR mirror glass also an exact replacement , easy to replace just the glass

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Walk into the dealership Parts Dept.
They have just the mirror glass, you just need to tell them about it being heated, tow mirror or regular, etc.

Ask others on here about the coated mirror glass, i have heard that the face of the mirror will turn brown sometimes

This may work for you to remove your broken mirror, if it is a regular non tow type

First tilt the mirror down using the mirror switch
Put on some gloves or use a rag to protect your hands
Then take your index & middle fingers of both hands & put them over & in back of the mirror glass
Then take your 2 thumbs & put them on the face of the mirror glass
Pinch the mirror glass & give it slight jerk towards your chest, if it did not pop out of the upper clips, jerk it a bit harder until the top part of the mirror glass is loose.
NOW, look behind the mirror glass, mostly too see how the bottom hooks are attached & look at the 2 metal fingers & how they fit to the tilt motor.
Now lift gently as you jiggle the mirror glass & it will lift out.
Now you will need to undo the wiring clips & you are done.
Save the 2 metal fingers, because you will need them on the new mirror glass

3rei.jpg

vqxx.jpg

bd9s.jpg

Last edited:

joelmic

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 3.6L 4x4 20x9 Wheels
Engine
Good job yankee

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I find if you power mirror glass all the way in you can get a small screw driver in between the mount to help start this process. I pulled mine apart a few times swapping back covers when i had them color matched, the passenger side on mine did not pop and instead the motor behind it went too far. Kinda gave it some more play which bothered me so i found another mirror.
I do have a spare glass with all those options but the metal tab holder has one broken side on the mount, easy fix with epoxy.
**** your on longisland lol where at?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atomota