Smoked vs. Clear vs. Red LED Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
According to the Ontario hi way traffic act section 62 (7) (b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).
I would say that you are lucky. A do know personally I person was able to get off from fine after rear Ended a car with tinted tail light

I know what the law states but there is a catch in it and it clearly states “reduces effective area of the lenses” and like i said there is no diminished light output from my smoked tails. Further more they are probably brighter then stock

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got these from Real Truck. I believe the are Xtune? The red is bright, day and night. Back up sucks so I added some pods under my bumper.

1984777C-9259-4D5C-9675-4BA12D9C13EA.jpeg

7D6306B3-0030-4B5B-8499-83DFE1130006.jpeg

21D823B8-CC50-4D64-A35F-4A27AA846FF0.jpeg

C64FD624-4E99-445D-B11E-0514E34B0524.jpeg

FC73C8E5-6395-49E5-9514-1B9C0393FBAB.jpeg

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I must be getting old--guys are adding super bright headlights and lightbars galore and yet they want to darken their safety lights-brake ,turns and 3rd brake lights. In Canada if you get rear -ended and the insurance or Police find out you darkened your rear lights or 3rd brake light you will be charged for being rear-ended and charged by the cops and the insurance claim will be reversed against you. Why does everyone want to be blinding bright from the front, yet very dim from the rear. Am I missing something? And dont say that tinted or smoked tail-lights are just as bright-because they arent-especially when they are just in the running light mode. When they brake,they are about the same brightness as the running light mode-led or otherwise. And my eyes are great. Think about the people behind you-especially when its raining and lights are glaring all around. I agree LEDs are better for tail-lights -but your taking away their effectiveness when you smoke or tint them-better with the clear incandescents. Late the haters chime in. LOL!!!

MoparFin

U. S. Navy Vet - AS1
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I must be getting old--guys are adding super bright headlights and lightbars galore and yet they want to darken their safety lights-brake ,turns and 3rd brake lights. In Canada if you get rear -ended and the insurance or Police find out you darkened your rear lights or 3rd brake light you will be charged for being rear-ended and charged by the cops and the insurance claim will be reversed against you. Why does everyone want to be blinding bright from the front, yet very dim from the rear. Am I missing something? And dont say that tinted or smoked tail-lights are just as bright-because they arent-especially when they are just in the running light mode. When they brake,they are about the same brightness as the running light mode-led or otherwise. And my eyes are great. Think about the people behind you-especially when its raining and lights are glaring all around. I agree LEDs are better for tail-lights -but your taking away their effectiveness when you smoke or tint them-better with the clear incandescents. Late the haters chime in. LOL!!!

Going to have to disagree with you. I have had my wife, daughter and my retired father behind me and I have asked them if they had any problems seeing my lights. I did this during a bunch of different times of day. They all said that they thought my light, during all operations, were just as bright or brighter. My dad said that he was surprised with how bright they are. I had regular bulbs in my original lights. I have had my truck parked next to my ‘12 Charger and can tell you that the running lights are just as bright at night.

If you get a newer, LED model, then they should be fine.

werdna1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

7E16BFE3-1D22-40E0-AA8C-CDD28B0770ED.jpeg If you think this is not as bright if not brighter than stock then im not sure what is. This is just running light as well. Maybe when i have time this week i will put a stock led tail in one side and leave my tinted spyder tail in the other to compare!!!

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Can always tell the rice burners by aftermarket tail lights, not like I’d ever see them in a race anyway :D

Burstingbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I live in SC and the laws are extremely lax when it comes to trucks mods and such. But the one thing they are cracking down on is Tinted Taillights. They don't care if your vehicle has painted windows, but they will fine you for impeding the light output on taillights

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I worry less about smoked taillights than I do to all the idiots with their cell phone in their face while driving.
1D274906528043-140807-cellphone-driving-2016.jpg

Love people that sit that close to the wheel too! That airbag is going to hurt! Does the passenger also have their feet up on the dash?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Love people that sit that close to the wheel too! That airbag is going to hurt! Does the passenger also have their feet up on the dash?
No tellin LOL

brentwasham

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Tradesman, metallic red with wheel-to-wheel black sidesteps and fender flares, factory wheels
Engine
For me, my truck is red and therefore the red taillights blend in nicely. I’ve been looking into way to have a SLIGHT tint to them. Kind of between a clear and smoked look. The lamin-x vinyl smoked headlight/tail light tint was something I’ve been considering since it would be easier to remove in the event I don’t like it compared to a spray on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your truck looks maroon to me. Hadn't thought about it, but the red does blend nicely with red. Wonder how the darker tinted or "black out" lights would look on red.

xFURIOUSJONESx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Your truck looks maroon to me. Hadn't thought about it, but the red does blend nicely with red. Wonder how the darker tinted or "black out" lights would look on red.

Yeah it’s more maroon than red really that’s why I want to slightly tint mine. I think it will blend better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

I have a PR4 Flame Red 4th Gen Ram and I’ve had the smoked Spyder C Bar tail lights and they looked horrible on the red. I even have black vinyls and black wheels, black badges, etc but the black tail lights look so bad. They stuck out like a sore thumb. I sold them and went with the same style tail light but the red “Rossi” edition and they look so much cleaner. They almost look OEM, but the light design is changed with the C Bar and the LED’s. IMHO red Rams should never have black tail lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I worry less about smoked taillights than I do to all the idiots with their cell phone in their face while driving.
1D274906528043-140807-cellphone-driving-2016.jpg
These phones really are the biggest issue today-particularly wit young drivers. They are so self-absorbed- always afraid they are missing out on something. From the seat of our trucks we can see it everyday. Its bad enough with all the infotainment already built into vehicles. Even the hands-free bluetooth system still takes your mind off the task at hand when you are taking a phone call--and for inexperienced drivers they should not even have that option. There, I feel better now!!!

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For those with the spyder taillights, how long have you had them, how do you like them, and have you had any problems with them?