So, which lights can be swapped with leds, without getting warning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see a lot of threads about specific lights, such as "head lights", "tail lights". But I'm wondering what lights can be swapped as just plug and play, without having to have some sort of extra load resistors? Can the cargo lights be swapped to leds, or will I get warnings of burnt out lights? What about the license plate lights? Third brake light?

I know head and tail lights will def. give warnings, but the others I mentioned are so insignificant, I'm hoping some of them can be changed without hassle?

I'm thinking for my truck, 2018 Ram Big Horn.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I see a lot of threads about specific lights, such as "head lights", "tail lights". But I'm wondering what lights can be swapped as just plug and play, without having to have some sort of extra load resistors? Can the cargo lights be swapped to leds, or will I get warnings of burnt out lights? What about the license plate lights? Third brake light?

I know head and tail lights will def. give warnings, but the others I mentioned are so insignificant, I'm hoping some of them can be changed without hassle?

If i recall correctly you can get all lights to LED without resistors by buying LED lighting all around that’s either canbus compatible or you also have the possibility of putting LEDs in and configuring the truck for them with AlfaOBD.

You can also enable DRLs with AlfaOBD and you won’t need to install anything for them to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
ALFAOBD wont always get rid of the errors especially if its the "Parking Light Out" one due to switchbacks especially with the Alpharex headlights ...

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I have a 2020 Tradesman...and a security bypass cable and AlfaOBD.

These vehicles have halogen lamps for headlights, turn signals, running lights, brake lights, backup lights...everything.

I have not done anything with the headlights yet (except swap them out for Silverstar halogen), but have changed ALL the other lamps on the truck to LED and have no errors after doing this:

1. Select the correct LED equivalents.
2. Program the vehicle to recognize it has LED turns, parking, etc. lights in AlfaOBD.

People who experience problems on LED conversions (on things other than headlamps) must understand it’s because they use an incorrect LED lamp that does not draw at least the minimum current the BCM looks for in LED mode (I believe it’s 20 mA minimum).

When the vehicle is set up from the factory for halogen lamps it looks for a certain minimum current draw for each individual lighting circuit; this minimum limit is lowered when the vehicle is reprogrammed for LED lamps. Use an LED that draws less than that, the vehicle will throw an error.

This is why in some cases people will put in LEDs and they have error messages...because the lamps are not Canbus compatible or don’t have load resistors (either internal or external) incorporated into the design.

I hate putting load resistors in and I have found equivalent lamps that work in my truck with no problems whatsoever and no external resistors are required.

Here are some examples I have verified will work (note...this is for replacing factory halogen lamps only in existing fixtures):

As a reference here is what 4th gen RAMs use when delivered with halogen lamps:

Reverse - 921
Cargo Lights/Top mount break light - 921
Map lights - 921
Dome light - 4410
License plate - 194
Tail lights / Brake lights- 3157
Front turn signal / Side marker - 3157

AUXLIGHT 3157 3156 3057 4157 3157K LED Bulbs Amber Yellow, Ultra Bright 57-SMD LED Replacement for Blinker Lights, Turn Signal/Parking or Running Lights, Brake/Tail Lights (Pack of 2)
by AUXLIGHT
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W3B7FZ5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_1A7XFbXMDT2X1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

AUXITO 194 LED Bulbs 168 175 2825 W5W T10 24-SMD 3014 Chipsets 6000K White for Car Dome Map Door Courtesy License Plate Lights Pack of 2
by AUXITO
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JLWGQX/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_UB7XFbP4262HR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

AUXITO 912 921 LED Backup Light Bulbs High Power 2835 15-SMD Chipsets Error Free T15 906 W16W for Back Up Lights Reverse Lights, 6000K White (Upgraded, Pack of 2)
by AUXITO
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728DYR9H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_oC7XFbY60V716?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

AUXLIGHT 3157 3156 3057 4157 3157K LED Bulbs Xenon White, Ultra Bright 57-SMD LED Replacement for Back Up/Reverse Lights, Brake/Tail Lights, Turn Signal/Parking or Running Lights (Pack of 2)
by AUXLIGHT
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RPF5SMF/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_SC7XFbA3YJ9M0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Also remember in selecting LED equivalents match the number of lighting elements (single or dual element) and color (white, amber or red).

After first installing the lamps (let’s use turn signals as an example) and programming the turns for LED in Alfa you will get a ‘fast flash’ on the turn signal indicator and may get a turn signal out message on the EVIC; leave the turn signal on for a few seconds and it recognizes the LED, slows down to normal speed, the message goes away...and you are done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, good information here. Couple questions. What is AlfaOBD? Also, If I have yellow lenses on the turn signals, why do I have to buy yellow colored led's? Doesn't the yellow lens make it appear yellow anyway?

rangemaster728

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
I use amber LEDs behind amber lenses due to color washout of a white LED behind an amber lens during daylight:

AlfaOBD is the Android app many of us here use to do programming on our Ram trucks in conjunction with an OBDLink MX+ reader ; if you have a 2018 or newer truck you’ll also need a security module bypass harness to do any programming like LEDs, remote start, changing the EVIC and setting odometer miles, DRLs, adding key fobs, tow mirrors...the list goes on and on.

There’s a whole section on this forum dedicated to AlfOBD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
I don't even know if AlfaOBD would work on my 2010, but didn't want to bother with it. Replaced all my lights with LEDs, used CANBUS safe ones for heads & tails, just matched the numbers for the rest (including interior & under hood)
Haven't had any issues.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
I don't even know if AlfaOBD would work on my 2010, but didn't want to bother with it. Replaced all my lights with LEDs, used CANBUS safe ones for heads & tails, just matched the numbers for the rest (including interior & under hood)
Haven't had any issues.
18 is much more picky than your 10. AlfaOBD works back to 06.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins

The only external bulbs that aren't monitored by the computer on the 18 are the extra clearance lights on a dually (cab, fender and rear) and cargo lights. Any light that is considered a safety or legal requirement are monitored. All these will throw light out warnings if insufficient load is detected:
Headlights
Parking lights F&R
Turn signals F&R
Brake lights including the 3rd light on the cab
Backup lights
License plate lights
Fog lights.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
18 is much more picky than your 10. AlfaOBD works back to 06.

Your missing our on so much. It works flawlessly. I've changed alot

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Your missing our on so much. It works flawlessly. I've changed alot

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Think you replied to wrong person. I've used AlfaOBD for about 2 years.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The only external bulbs that aren't monitored by the computer on the 18 are the extra clearance lights on a dually (cab, fender and rear) and cargo lights. Any light that is considered a safety or legal requirement are monitored. All these will throw light out warnings if insufficient load is detected:
Headlights
Parking lights F&R
Turn signals F&R
Brake lights including the 3rd light on the cab
Backup lights
License plate lights
Fog lights.

There must be something wrong with my truck then as my 3rd brake lights out and it doesn’t throw any codes, and my license plate lights are LED (without canbus) and they work flawlessly.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
There must be something wrong with my truck then as my 3rd brake lights out and it doesn’t throw any codes, and my license plate lights are LED (without canbus) and they work flawlessly.

My answer was specific to a 18 and I triggered all but 3rd brakelight. There are also a couple options to disable all rear lighting DTC. The Body Module has an option that AlfaOBD and dealer can set. On C&C there is a blunt cut wire that can be grounded to disable the DTC.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
www.Lasfit.com

100% Plug & Play - nothing to program, no AlfaOBD required. I had them in one of our 2018 Ram Longhorns with zero issues. Plug, play & enjoy.

10% off right now or use their site to look up the LEDs you need and then price compare with their Amazon prices. They are inexpensive but last...have had them in my truck with zero issues, just installed in another family truck with zero issues and have numerous coworkers who have been running them much, much longer than me and no issues.

Great bulbs and fantastic customer service if you prefer to call them. Also, they have plenty of videos and instructions on their website and YouTube. Purchase from a high quality, high volume manufacturer and not some low volume outfit just out to take your money.

Cabledog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I put dieselleds in for license plate lights and reverse lights. Incredibly bright, plug and play. Designed to NOT throw any codes. I do recommend them. They have them for all exterior lights. May do the fog lights next, that way I can choose to have them on. As an older guy, I probably won't get the headlights, only because I get blinded by the bright white light coming at me, and I don't want to be that guy. IMO too many people running off road LED light bars, just driving down the road. Worse than the people who always drive with their high beams on.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I have changed out mt 3rd brake light, cargo lights, interior front and rear, map lights, license plate lights and reverse lights all with canbus lights with NO issues.

ACJCF2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman CC DRW 4X4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L (408 cid) TD
Hass, I have a 2018 RAM 3500 Tradesman and one of the first things I did when I brought it home was go to my local O'Reilly Auto Parts (I worked there for 3 years) and bought the equivalent Sylvania LED bulbs for the backup lights and license lights. No issues and great lighting. You'll be glad you did. I may do the side markers next. I want to do the cargo light but am leery of disturbing the gasket. A simple LED headlight upgrade would be welcomed. I did add a lighted Bull Bar and use that as needed.

Gixxer750

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015_2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In the crew cab, what has been used to replace the rear in cab push to function light above the back window? My 17 limited is basically printed on a circuit board.

davepen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Haven't had any issues.

What did you use for tail lights? I can’t find any that work with my 2010.