SOS System in RAM’s - Wife almost died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That is one thing about the California State highways
There are Solar powered 911 phones every 1/2 mile on the side of the road, they are hard wired with something like Cat 5 cable under ground

1640476619470.png
each call box is marked with the Highway & the Post Mile

Most times one of these California contracted tow trucks will show up, if a CHP does not show up first

1640477698331.png

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sirius outsources everything, you call them, you get some one at a Call Center in India.
I can't understand their accent most of the time, so i ask for someone in the New York Office

----------------------------------------------------

By the way, if you press the ASSist but, you get someone in Auburn Hills Michigan which is Ram Headquarters

========================================
Both mirror buttons connect you through an AirCard modem that is in your radio, it has its own phone number that is linked to your vehicles VIN# ( Sierra Wireless AirCard )
It is not linked to your cell phone
WHEN I do my Sirius for a year, I await all the mail stuff, with the different rates, and decline and decline. Eventually I get the Full Access feature at 1/3 the price, $99 plus tax. ONLY then do I renew. AND I do all online, not want to talk to ne body in India, Pakistan, wherever.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just received a notice that my Sirius XM renewal is due
It is a automatic subscription renewal notice
I will not pay $21.84 a month for service that works terribly in my area
I listen to the The Highway & Nascar only

In my area, which is a valley, there are so many T-Mobile cell towers, that i am lucky if i hear 2 complete songs in a row, before the 2nd song is finished, i will be passing the ELKS Club, or the Auto Detail Shop, the Court House, the Money Tree, etc. they all have T-Mobile towers. There are way too many to list,
Once i leave this valley, Sirius XM does not cut out as much

The thing is, i changed my CC # , so they will not be able to automatically charge my account & i will wait for better offers, like you mentioned.
$99 + tax sounds sweet, compared to $264 + tax

Boxman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 v6; Etorque , 4x4 crew cab, Night Edition
First of all, NJJeff201, I'm glad your wife is OK.

And I have learned a lot on this thread about emergency calling and services. Thanks to all that have posted.

I do Sirius XM renewal similar to turkeybird56. I wait until renewal letter , then call Sirius and tell them to cancel my account as I can't afford to pay $20+ per month for their service. I usually get some offers, but keep telling them it's too much. Then I tell the Customer rep that I see advertisements for new customers for $5 per month so why don't they try to keep an existing customer at a good price? I have a 2013, so have been doing this same dog and pony show for 8 years. Probably nuts on my part, but I need XM when traveling in the mountains and desert.
Anyway, the last renewal was $6 per month on an automatic pay credit card. 12 month contract.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just received a notice that my Sirius XM renewal is due
It is a automatic subscription renewal notice
I will not pay $21.84 a month for service that works terribly in my area
I listen to the The Highway & Nascar only

In my area, which is a valley, there are so many T-Mobile cell towers, that i am lucky if i hear 2 complete songs in a row, before the 2nd song is finished, i will be passing the ELKS Club, or the Auto Detail Shop, the Court House, the Money Tree, etc. they all have T-Mobile towers. There are way too many to list,
Once i leave this valley, Sirius XM does not cut out as much

The thing is, i changed my CC # , so they will not be able to automatically charge my account & i will wait for better offers, like you mentioned.
$99 + tax sounds sweet, compared to $264 + tax
I neva allow them or anybody else to Debit/Charge a card except for: The only Debits that I allow are my Life Insurance and my Investments each month due to the amount stays the same and can be traced. Nothing else is done. Not even my propane bill. I manually input all. When I buy something on line, I use a Citibank Virtual Card: Where I control the amount on purchase and time period. This way no one can get more than $1.00 on a transaction. One of the benefits of having my CC through the Original Citibank in SD.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

And I have learned a lot on this thread about emergency calling and services. Thanks to all that have posted.

I do Sirius XM renewal similar to turkeybird56. I wait until renewal letter , then call Sirius and tell them to cancel my account as I can't afford to pay $20+ per month for their service. I usually get some offers, but keep telling them it's too much. Then I tell the Customer rep that I see advertisements for new customers for $5 per month so why don't they try to keep an existing customer at a good price? I have a 2013, so have been doing this same dog and pony show for 8 years. Probably nuts on my part, but I need XM when traveling in the mountains and desert.
Anyway, the last renewal was $6 per month on an automatic pay credit card. 12 month contract.
I do the slightly higher plan and get the All Access, the $6 a month does not carry Baseball which is my primary purpose for having.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

MY 19 does not have SOS/EMERGENCY/GUARDIAN stuff. Just a plain 8.4 Radio. NE emergency thru phone.

stormcom

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Big Horn
Engine
V6
If you are having an emergency, you are going to press buttons. The system says SOS. Sirius is off shored and really does not care about nothing.

I hope Ram cares writes something to corporate. Like I said, If someone is having an emergency, and especially if I was not the owner or know about SOS, I would be pressing buttons. I hope everyhting turns out ok and have said a prayer for her.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Missing 911 and misdirected 911 service is too common. The system was designed for landlines in the 1970s and while it has been updated, many poor and rural jurisdictions have 911 systems that still cannot read cellular location data.

Our house was built 15 years ago in an area with good cell service and unreliable landlines. So we never bothered with a landline. The only problem we ever have is with E-911. The cell tower serving our area is in another county and the e-911 system gives the operator NO location data. None. So when we call 911 we MUST immediately ask to be transferred to our county and then give the full address, include town name and zip. Which is fine for those of us who are "in the know", but for summer-time tourists and boaters, this can get them into trouble. Can you guess how many roads are named Sunset, Sunrise, Widewater, Glen, River, E Lake, W. Lake and Lake in two adjacent counties in the Finger Lakes?? We have resorted to standing in the road a mile away -- at the nearest intersection of two paved roads. All this in just in upstate NY !

OP
OP
njjeff201

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Why she kept asking for my address was crazy. I saw my gps coordinates in the vehicle

OP
OP
njjeff201

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Thank you all for your thoughts & prayers. The medics & PD got her on oxygen ASAP. She was conscious by the time she arrived back at the hospital she just left 2 hours ago. From now on it’s 911 from the phone Just holding down the “9” key I’m told calls 911 on an iPhone. I remember trying to call 911 from my cell but not working. I’m wondering if the SOS button had anything to do with that… can’t figure that. Happy New Year all!!!

OP
OP
njjeff201

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Thank you all She has recovered with a pacemaker. I just don’t understand XM taking 15 minutes to do a transfer to local PD. I shoulda hung up & call 911 or hit “0” or 411.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
njjeff201
I am glad that she is recovering, i wish her well
Happy New Year to both of you

OP
OP
njjeff201

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Thank you all.... she has recovered. They, Sirius XM never sent a copy of the assist (911) call. I haven't written to the upper management yet but I will never use them again. I assumed SOS meant help... especially life threatening help. From now on I'll depend on 911 or calling the PD for the town I'm actually in. For Lord's Sake the GPS info was on my screen in the truck, I guess she didn't know what the numbers meant. I'm glad I wasn't hiking in Alaska.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reyzapien88