Warranty Argument over Bad Battery Pack - 2019 Ram eTorque

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slatts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I apologize in advance for the long post, but it's been a long history of eTorque problems with my 2019. I appreciate any advice you have in dealing with Dodge on the latest issue.

My electrical issues began in Summer 2021. The truck was exhibiting voltage drops over a few days and then completely died when at 8v. The dealership south of San Antonio diagnosed a bad generator (alternator) which was covered under the 8y/80,000m emissions warranty. There were also a few other electrical repairs made at that time which i paid for but i suspect they were caused due to the voltage problems.

The following winter 2021 in very cold weather while hunting in Missouri, the voltage problems returned. I went to the local dealership and a tech pulled the codes. I told him the history and he said it sounded like an electrical connection problem maybe because of the earlier repairs made and the cold weather. The problem went away in a few days and no repairs were done.

Off and on for the next couple years, there were voltage fluctuations but only temporary and did not affect performance as far as I could tel.

In early 2023 in some of the coldest weather we've had in south Texas, voltage issues started up again. The truck died while parked and running and wouldn't restart. Had it towed to the dealer I bought it from (San Antonio Dodge). Over the next couple (warmer) days the service dept had no problems starting it and they could not make a diagnosis.

In March 2023, for the first time during warm weather began having voltage issues again. Recurring voltage drops almost daily down to around 11.2v. There was no pattern to this as it happened in all weather conditions and driving situations - at all highway speeds and also when parked and idling. (The engine off feature wasn't working when at stop signs).

About 3 weeks ago, while returning home from a short trip the voltage dropped steadily into the single digits and the truck died at 8v. I almost crashed it into a post while in a turn due to sudden loss of power steering and front end collision feature not working.

It was towed back to San Antonio Dodge and after a few days they told me they diagnosed a bad battery pack and turned it into the "warranty dept" for the part. I assume that the Warranty Department is at Dodge headquarters? Apparently the warranty department denied to cover it unless the dealership or myself had another voltage failure. The dealership has told me they've driven it (don't know how much or often) and they've experienced no further voltage issues. They suggested that i pick it up and have it brought (towed) back to them when the problem recurs. I told them it wasn't safe for me or my family to take the risk of another failure since I already almost wrecked it.

The dealership suggested I call Customer Care to plead my case. I've been on the phone with them 3 times now and this morning the rep told me that the 48-volt pack was not a warranty item. I referred her to Page 7 of the 2019 Warranty Booklet which states that the generator, catalytic converter, PCM and battery pack are all covered items under the 8/80K emissions warranty. She agreed and then said she'd call the dealership! I have no idea why since they agreed that it was covered and were denied by the "Warranty Dept" until it fails again. What a goat rope.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks
Shawn

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Seems to me that the failure mode, the bad battery pack, has been sufficiently documented and one more "drive it until it fails again" suggestion is the dealer avoiding any expense on warranty repairs that may not be covered by Ram. However, that also seems to have been sufficiently documented. My assumption is that you have a copy of the service orders generated by the dealer service departments. If you don't have the documentation I'd make contact with each and every service department that has diagnosed, serviced or inspected the truck and get a copy of the service order.

Without threatening your local dealer, or backing them into the corner, I'd have that conversation with the service manager that it is time to honor the warranty and fix the problem given that Customer Care has agreed it is covered. You may also have to get Customer Care to reach out to the dealer, open a case and advise the dealer it is covered.

I had to do something similar with on of my vehicles and it really helped to get all the interested parties on a conference call to have that conversation and eliminate the finger pointing, he said/she said crap and move the case forward to complete the repairs.

If the corporate BS continues, with the dealer disagreeing or ignoring the Customer Care recommendation, then it may be time to consult with an attorney about the requirements to pursue a lemon law buyback on your truck.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
MADDOG beat me to it :)

I think that i would ask for assistance to have a Star Case Opened.

Maybe Ram Cares can walk you through that process

Don't let them put off working on it
Remind them at every chance you get, i would hate to see them say, your warranty has expired, our mechanic found the issue, here is your Billing Invoice

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not only your 48V battery pack is covered, but there have also been a number of software updates that need to be performed on the eTorque system, for various problems.

@RamCares for this problem

HunterCat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
That's frustrating. In addition to your phone calls and in-person conversations, I would add a certified letter to both the dealer and RAM. Outline the history, your attempts at remedy and highlight that the issue you're having causes the vehicle to completely shut down while in motion. Make clear that you narrowly avoided an accident (instead of a hitting a post, you almost struck another vehicle). Be sure to mention that they want the problem to happen again before they'll take action.

Hopefully, they'll understand that the certified letter greatly increases their liability in a lawsuit in the unfortune event of an accident.

anchorsaweigh

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck. FCA doesn't care and their CS sucks.

Big3MG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Why, in 2020, I ordered a Rebel as it did not come with eTorque garbage. I threw on a set of factory 20” wheels and Goodyears and it’s my road traveling truck.

Rockyko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I definitely don’t want etorque love my 2019 regular hemi

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
Slatts, I'm sorry for your troubles. I have a buddy who lives near New Braunfels, and raves about the service department at Bluebonnet Ram. Maybe a change of venue is in order?

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I apologize in advance for the long post, but it's been a long history of eTorque problems with my 2019. I appreciate any advice you have in dealing with Dodge on the latest issue.

My electrical issues began in Summer 2021. The truck was exhibiting voltage drops over a few days and then completely died when at 8v. The dealership south of San Antonio diagnosed a bad generator (alternator) which was covered under the 8y/80,000m emissions warranty. There were also a few other electrical repairs made at that time which i paid for but i suspect they were caused due to the voltage problems.

The following winter 2021 in very cold weather while hunting in Missouri, the voltage problems returned. I went to the local dealership and a tech pulled the codes. I told him the history and he said it sounded like an electrical connection problem maybe because of the earlier repairs made and the cold weather. The problem went away in a few days and no repairs were done.

Off and on for the next couple years, there were voltage fluctuations but only temporary and did not affect performance as far as I could tel.

In early 2023 in some of the coldest weather we've had in south Texas, voltage issues started up again. The truck died while parked and running and wouldn't restart. Had it towed to the dealer I bought it from (San Antonio Dodge). Over the next couple (warmer) days the service dept had no problems starting it and they could not make a diagnosis.

In March 2023, for the first time during warm weather began having voltage issues again. Recurring voltage drops almost daily down to around 11.2v. There was no pattern to this as it happened in all weather conditions and driving situations - at all highway speeds and also when parked and idling. (The engine off feature wasn't working when at stop signs).

About 3 weeks ago, while returning home from a short trip the voltage dropped steadily into the single digits and the truck died at 8v. I almost crashed it into a post while in a turn due to sudden loss of power steering and front end collision feature not working.

It was towed back to San Antonio Dodge and after a few days they told me they diagnosed a bad battery pack and turned it into the "warranty dept" for the part. I assume that the Warranty Department is at Dodge headquarters? Apparently the warranty department denied to cover it unless the dealership or myself had another voltage failure. The dealership has told me they've driven it (don't know how much or often) and they've experienced no further voltage issues. They suggested that i pick it up and have it brought (towed) back to them when the problem recurs. I told them it wasn't safe for me or my family to take the risk of another failure since I already almost wrecked it.

The dealership suggested I call Customer Care to plead my case. I've been on the phone with them 3 times now and this morning the rep told me that the 48-volt pack was not a warranty item. I referred her to Page 7 of the 2019 Warranty Booklet which states that the generator, catalytic converter, PCM and battery pack are all covered items under the 8/80K emissions warranty. She agreed and then said she'd call the dealership! I have no idea why since they agreed that it was covered and were denied by the "Warranty Dept" until it fails again. What a goat rope.

I appreciate any suggestions you may have.
Thanks
Shawn
I had a 2019 Laramie with the eTorque. I had low voltage faults on a few occasions. It would just come up with a battery indicator while driving. What I found was shutting it off and giving it a few minutes (about the time it takes to refuel) would often get it to reset and start charging again, for a while at least. Sat in a dealership service department south of St. Louis for a couple hours once for the issue, and they did a software update to fix it. It didn't.

Went back to my local dealership with the issues and they tried another software update. They said if that update didn't fix it, they would replace the 48V battery. About 2 months later, fault reoccurred. Called the dealership, and they replaced the battery a few weeks later after they were able to get one from RAM. Fault never repeated after that.

Sounds like you have the same issue. Replacing the battery is the fix. It should be under warranty.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Make sure you get that recommendation to drive until the fault occurs again in writing. If you get hurt when the battery dies and the PS quits, you and / or your heirs will have a solid lawsuit case.

Don’t mention lawyer or lawsuit to the dealer unless you have everything lined up to proceed. Once they hear the L word, the dealer will cease all direct communication with you and not touch the vehicle. Everything will need to go through their legal department and your lawyer.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the thing is even if it is warranted eventually it won't be.then after ram goes Hurricane how long with the battery pack be available.i don't know if keeping an etorque for 200,000 miles is feasible.i know 90 % of people probably won't anyway but I think ram took 2 steps back with not offering the standard hemi.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you notice the voltage drop, don't drive it until it gets to 8 volts and the truck won't shut off.
It just has to throw the code, so stop before it hits 10 volts to be safe.

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
My new 2023 (less than 200 miles) threw up a warning on the screen the other day showing low voltage. It had a response block to touch - OK. So I clicked it and the warning went away. No issues in the week since. Maybe a temporary issue with sitting on the lot a couple of months? I noticed the hour meter has about 4 hours idle time on it. The salesman and I since then probably put 1/2 hour of that on it going over the features and owners manual. I guess the rest was periodic running on the lot to try and keep it charged and maybe traffic lights?