Spray Can Black Pearl Recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any recommendations on a vendor or product that is a paint match for 2017 Ram 1500 Black Pearl? Need to cover a ding filled with bondo. Should I primer coat first and top coat after paint?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In all honesty, you should be taking it to a body shop. Ensuring the area is properly prepped for painting is an exact science. Then determining where to stop spraying at panel joints and body lines is a critical decision. And finally, blending paint in with a 6-7 year old paint job is very difficult.

As for paint, I have always been a PPG person, for what it's worth. Yes, primer is necessary (that's part of the entire prep).

Good luck.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
For most dings as long as the paint isn't through to bare metal you can or hire a paintless dent repair. Using pry rods and other tools most dings can be removed .
But if you're through the paint and primer and need paint, you can go to you're local body shop supply house and they can mix up a small batch.
The question is, how bad is this "ding"?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am also a huge proponent of the pointless dent repair. But it sounds like OP already added body filler. Hopefully readied the metal first to accept the filler. If not, might be worth it to remove and restart.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had a rattle can made up for my daughter’s Venza at Napa. I did find it cheaper at Canadian tire after the fact though made by Duplicolor.
You just need to find your paint code for that colour
Be aware black is very unforgiving for crappy prep work, hopefully it’s in an out of site spot cause I’ve seen repairs look worse than the defect.

Last edited:

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Local paint supply store, they'll mix the paint and load it in a spray can. Get some 2k clear or u-pol #1 clear is also quite good for spray cans.

OP
OP
O

osprey92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For most dings as long as the paint isn't through to bare metal you can or hire a paintless dent repair. Using pry rods and other tools most dings can be removed .
But if you're through the paint and primer and need paint, you can go to you're local body shop supply house and they can mix up a small batch.
The question is, how bad is this "ding"?
Someone backed into me with a ladder or other type of load extending from a trailer, hit the tailgate, caused a 1/4" scrape that runs 3" that looks like the state of Florida. Broke the clearcoat and paint to metal. Body shops have a 12 week wait list, it started to rust, I removed the rust and had to make that 1/4" scrape 1/2" wide to get all the surface rust that started. It's prepped and filled. Paint on truck is pristine, been well maintained - I've posted pics after a wax.