Can someone explain the "White" variations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Looking at a new (or maybe lightly used) Ram 1500. I'm kinda leaning to a White truck.... BUT ..... I want only the metallic White, which makes the paint look deep. Much nicer IMHO. I don't want the plain White.

I've been looking online at a bunch of trucks and I have already seen FIVE different versions of 'White'. :rolleyes:

Here's what I've seen so far, as quoted from the Window Stickers:
1) Bright White Clear Coat Exterior Paint
2) Ivory 3 Coat
3) Ivory Tri–Coat Exterior Paint
4) Ivory White Tri–Coat Pearl–Coat Exterior Paint
5) Pearl White Exterior Paint

I suspect that the word "Pearl" indicates a metallic imbued paint? Is that correct? However, there is also a "Tri-coat" paint.... what is that?

Thanks for any help.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
There are two variations of white for 5th gen 1500's, and that's it. Bright White and Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl-Coat. Bright white is non-metallic. Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl_Coat is metallic.

As for your questions, you can find the answers to those questions easily using the search engine of your choice. Here are a couple random links that should answer your questions...

OP
OP
Mojo88

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Thanks, I've been looking at a few 4th Gens too. That's where I came up with the five variants. Thanks again.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There's 3 different "white" paints on the Ram, some are trim dependent.
Bright White - PW7
Ivory Pearl tricoat - PWD
Pearl White - PWQ
If your looking to about a plain white, avoid the Bright White, but this will most likely be found on the lower trim levels.
The Pearl will have metallic in the paint, the Ivory tri-coat uses a tinted clear-coats that include pearlescents add depth.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bright White - PW7
Pearl White - PWQ
If your looking to about a plain white, avoid the Bright White, but this will most likely be found on the lower trim levels.
The Pearl will have metallic in the paint, the Ivory tri-coat uses a tinted clear-coats that include pearlescents add depth.
Pearl White isn't a color option on 5th gens. Is that a 4th gen color? I didn't include any white's that were available on any other generation since this was asked in the 5th gen forum. The only two options for 5th gens are Bright White and Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl-Coat. Bright White is available on all trim levels, while Ivory White Tri-Coat Pearl-Coat is only available on some of the upper trim levels.

OP
OP
Mojo88

Mojo88

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Bright White - PW7
Pearl White - PWQ
Thanks... this is the kind of info I'm looking for. Figuring out what's up with the "whites" is somewhat confusing.

I think you're saying the most dramatic and pearly/metallic white paint would be the Ivory tri-coat, is that correct?

Again, this is much appreciated.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think you're saying the most dramatic and pearly/metallic white paint would be the Ivory tri-coat, is that correct?
Yes the paint will have some depth to it. It's also the hardest to touch up and color match if your thinking of getting a painted hard tonneau cover or topper.

kdoublep

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My paint has diamonds, crystals and pearls

Last edited:

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
From my experience there is your standard NASCAR redneck white, your deep south cracker white, your basic h.o.n.k.y white, and your run-of-the-mill bass fishin'/beer drinkin'/duck huntin' white. I fall into the last category because I don't care for NASCAR and I've never been to Florida. :hunter: :fishing1:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My old 13 was bright white.Was the easiest color i've ever had for keeping clean and looking good.

Attachments

• 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 1

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My old 13 was bright white.Was the easiest color i've ever had for keeping clean and looking good.
With all the snow and salt you get up in Canada, even if the white truck was dirty you couldn't tell... LOL

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat